Which stem should I use for my Giant 2012 TCR Advanced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ams

by Ams

Hi y'all,

My first post on Weigth weenies. Hope you can help me out with questions I have and I will do my very best to help anybody on this forum.

I recently bought myself a 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 2. I hesitated because I dont really like the brand Giant but at the end I couldnt be more happy: excellent price-quality ratio.

Im planning to upgrade this bike. Starting with a new stem. Was hoping to install a Pro Vibe carbon stem but somebody told me it would not fit..

What stem (brand, type etc) would you advice me to buy? Im searching for a light and high quality stem and (hopefully :-)) not exceeding 180 euro's.

Thanks!

Ams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Welcome to the forum.

Your Giant has an 1 1/4" steerer at the top rather than the more common 1 1/8". This limits your choice.
Check this thread for some possibilities -

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64725

Ams

by Ams

Thanks! Will have a look at the thread.

I noticed that the Rabobank team is using Pro Vibe carbon stems. But the use TCR advanced sl frames with overdrive 2 etc. Does anybody know how come they can use a Pro Vibe stem? :noidea:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

It could be Pro-use only at the moment. Due to Pro cycling regulations it should be for sale to the general public in the future.

Bear in mind Pro Vibe stems are stiff but certainly not light. It could be heavier than the stem you've already got!

Ams

by Ams

Thanks!

Yes indeed the Pro Vibe is prob heavier but regarding stems I prefer stiffness over grams (up until a certain point of course) i suppose.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I wouldn't focus so much on stem stiffness (unless your last name is Cavendish or Hoy). I, unfortunately, always have to ride 120mm - 140mm stems to make a stock frame fit. Even though I can climb and time trial well, I still get labeled as a sprinter. If anyone would notice stem flex it would be me. I have yet to notice stem flex. Stems I've used recently include 130mm 3t ARX Team, 125mm & 135mm Forte OS (HEAVY), 120mm Ritchey WCS 4-Axis, 120mm Fuji Pro PDM (I think that's what it was called - it was a stock stem off a Fuji SL-1, surprisingly nice and light stem). I've noticed bar flex and BB flex, but no stem flex. Hope this helps open up your options.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Just put a Pro Vibe 7s on my SuperSix - not super light (package said 115g for my 110 but it weight 132g...a little disappointed there) but I have no complaints. To me the stem is the jewel of the bike and the Vibe is a great looking, stiff stem. A good choice if they release it in 1 1/4.

Welcome to WW - it's a slippery slope!

roadytracky

by roadytracky

"Welcome to WW - it's a slippery slope!" - Lol

I tested a full Di2 7970 Landshark ISP ProCarbon with a full Pro Vibe cockpit (no seatpost). In addition to wanting (needing?) Di2 and a Landshark now, I really fell in love with the bend of the Pro Vibe Carbon Round bars. Very unique, well thought-out bend. I bought what I thought was the aluminum version of the same bar, but the bend seems different from how I remember the Carbon version feeling. Anyway, Pro is very well designed stuff so you can't go wrong (wouldn't expect anything less from Shimano). As someone else pointed out, however, this is Weight Weenies, and the Pro stuff is heavy (relatively).

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Depending on the length you need you can use a Syntace Force 119 Stem. Listed weight is 139 grams for a 110mm. I think reviews are fairly positive with Syntace stuff though I have never used one.

Ams

by Ams

Welcome to WW - it's a slippery slope! :beerchug:

Thanks for all the advice. Im looking into the Syntace stem. Just got e-mail from Pro. They will probably start selling 1 1/4" Pro Vibe carbon stems in 2013. Ill keep you posted!

sawyer

by sawyer

syntace are stiff

have to disagree with other poster re noticing stiffness. I can.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com