Riding groups and racing in the Charleston, SC area

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Hi everyone.

It's looking very likely that I'm going to be transferred for work from Melbourne, Australia to Charleston, South Carolina by the middle of this year for a couple of years.

I'm really interested if anyone here knows of any good group rides or racing groups in the area?

Good bike shops would be great too as my last trip there I crossed paths with a shop where the staff didn't care if I was even there.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Just bringing the topic to life again.

I'm now living in Summerville, SC for the next 4 years.

Getting out on a few rides on my own but would certainly like to catch up with anyone locally for a roll or even advice about good (and not so good) roads to use.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Try getting in touch with a club in the area. At the very least they should be able to tell you about local group rides - and from there you can get to know the good roads from the bad ones.

http://www.usacycling.org/clubs/?state=SC
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Hey MDU,

I see you made it stateside. If you are into cross make sure to check out the Savannah race weekend:

http://georgiacx.com/wp-content/uploads ... 083112.pdf

Not too far away from you & one of my favorites..

Cheers,
Chris

kytyree

by kytyree

It's not down in the Low Country but if you don't mind making the trip up to the Greenville-Spartanburg area they have an early season race series in that area that's a fun way to get going. One is around an airfield, another was laps of the track at the BMW factory. There are a few more parts of the series but I'm not familiar with them. I think Hincapie used to be/is a sponsor. Great area up there to ride in any case, Greenville also has a nice downtown.