USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Just to expand on that point I have seen doctors, scientists, police, "experts in the field" etc have their evidence either dismissed by the court or allowed sufficient doubt arise that the evidence rendered effectively meaningless.

I will quantify this is in Australia so perhaps things work differently here.

But anyones' credibility can and will be tested. Fortunately, most of the time they stand up to scrutiny, but not always.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

swinter

by swinter

Tapeworm wrote:But anyones' credibility can and will be tested. Fortunately, most of the time they stand up to scrutiny, but not always.

If that's what you meant, then I agree. Of course, you can attack anyone's credibility. But the idea that "it takes the slightest of cracks to then cast doubt, and the evidence is effectively expunged" is just mistaken.

In a case like this with so many witnesses corroborating each other, the odds of prevailing by attacking one or more witness's credibility is pretty ludicrous.

But what would I know, I only tried cases for ten years (and been a law professor for nearly thirty). :noidea:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I am no stranger to the courtroom either but I recognise that your expertise in law would far outstrip mine. I should rephrase:- "...that it CAN take a slight crack to cast doubt...".

I am biased in criminal matters where I have seen excellent practitioners of law really take apart the most credible of witnesses due to this. Especially when juries are involved. Though once again I recognise that this is not a criminal trial (yet?) and not before a jury.

And I concur with your point, overwhelming amounts of corroborating evidence makes it very hard to counter in this manner. But if my meagre experience has taught me is that there are no certainties in law. The fact in this matter that Armstrong didn't fight it directly would indicate to me that evidence must indeed be overwhelming. Would so like to see it....
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Rick

by Rick

"The evidence must be overwhelming".....
Yeah.....some eviodence really would help. :roll:

artray

by artray

Notice how this case has kind of moved away from Armstrong and its become more about USADA and UCI .
Its opened up so many questions and Armstrongs doping now feels like a tiny part of this enquiry.
Smart move from Armstrong .He may yet come out of this laughing even more than he already is .
what a shim sham of a cock up it all is so far. :popcorn:

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Artray, you're grasping at straws hoping there is no evidence, or that it's flimsy at best.

Got a little surprise for you. Wait until you hear what Armstrong's ex-wife Kristen copped to doing.

I knew all along about her giving testimony about PED's and blood bags stored in their Girona, Spain apartment. What I didn't know was WHY she testified. The people I spoke to told me it was because she was upset at the way Lance treated her. That may have been a reason, but there's more to it.

It was because investigators already had evidence from riders that she had supplied them with drugs on various occasions on behalf of Armstrong and team management. She copped a plea and told investigators about her role in the affair so she wouldn't be named in the charging letter as a co-conspirator, the same deal given to Lance but refused.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

Rick

by Rick

J-Nice wrote:Artray, you're grasping at straws hoping there is no evidence, or that it's flimsy at best.

I think we are just waiting for SOME eveidence.
Got a little surprise for you. Wait until you hear what Armstrong's ex-wife Kristen copped to doing.

OK....waiting.....

I knew all along about her giving testimony about PED's and blood bags stored in their Girona, Spain apartment. ....

You're a real "insider".

artray

by artray

J-Nice "Artray, you're grasping at straws hoping there is no evidence, or that it's flimsy at best"
I think I have made my position on Armstrongs doping issues quite clear.
My point is about all the headlines coming out . Its now all about Kimmage ,UCI, Hamilton etc etc and as the field of players gets bigger the focus becomes less intense on Armstrong . Its all going well for him right now and unless there is some new amazing evidence we dont know about he will still be laughng when its over and done. I still dont get the hatred Armstrong endures for cheating in a bike race where nearly everyone was cheating . Basso , Jan , have still not owned up and other riders who have doped are now racing and Millar even had a go at the UCI . It's :lol: and :unbelievable:
Last edited by artray on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Rick wrote:
J-Nice wrote:]I knew all along about her giving testimony about PED's and blood bags stored in their Girona, Spain apartment. ....

You're a real "insider".

Didn't you know? J-Nice is an investigator... breaking only the biggest stories google can find him. Detective skills right there.

horse

by horse

ultimobici wrote:It's a cultural thing? The biggest sporting fraud of all time is a predominantly American endeavour, if I'm not mistaken.

US team. European game.

- Fraud, can't say that. That's already been investigated in other matters with a no-go result.
- Biggest? Scandal perhaps, but again difficult say.

Let's be honest, what is "really known" about this case? It's been turned into a scandal. There's a lot of guesswork and jumping to conclusions based on peoples' suspicions so forth. There's alot of "He Said", "He said" but after so many years unless people kept a diary..

One thing is for certain. You can't get a decent word on anything in this world. It's not just Sport either.

artray

by artray

I wish Columbo was alive he would sort this out

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Columbo isn't needed. We have Travis Tygart.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

artray wrote:... and as the field of players gets bigger the focus becomes less intense on Armstrong . Its all going well for him right now...
It's all going well for him right now? :roll:

True, the fat lady hasn't sung yet (maybe USADA has heard her, but the rest of us haven't yet), but it's all going well for him right now? :laughat: :laughat:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong

Headin to the start of @superfrogtri. Oldest triathlon in America. Gonna be fun.

In honor of the sports roots I've decided to rock the speedo, grape smuggler, banana hammock, etc for the whole race. #oldschool
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong

Headin to the start of @superfrogtri. Oldest triathlon in America. Gonna be fun.

In honor of the sports performance enhancement roots I've decided to rock the epo, testosterone, hgh, transfusions, etc for the whole race. #oldschool
[/quote]