Whats your favorite bike wheel skewer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sedluk

by sedluk

Tune DC14 or if you really want light and want to spend the money then Tune U20

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poully

by poully

Bontrager Titanium for me. Never had an issue and reasonable weight.

TOflat

by TOflat

Got myself a set of these at the beginning of the year. They weight nothing, cost a lot, but look damn good.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

shimano Dura ace because i dont like creaks or my wheels moving which seem to happen with anything lighter

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Salsa Flip-Offs Titan, 13 years old never has problem.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I don't know why no one has produced an aramid composite skewer. Works for tyre beads.
r o y g b i v

jooo

by jooo

Kinda surprised there aren't more options available for 'mid' weight skewers for things like pave, XC and CX.

It seems like such an easy thing to manufacture and provides good $ per gram saving over Shimano/Campagnolo.

I think external cam would be fine, provided that the cam ratio and lever has actually had some thought put into the design. Combine that with a decent bush and I can't see any reason that the clamping force provided would not be sufficient for all but the most extreme conditions.

One of the main things that bugs me on the superlight skewers is the complete lack of surface area to clamp onto the dropouts. I'm aware the more extreme you go in the surface area department, the more problems you run into with compatibility Re: frames and forks but I think that's a small price to pay for much greater security. To me the same can be said of most hub end caps also. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be much happier with KCNC style skewers if they simply had a little more clamping surface and slightly thicker caps, both of which would add very little to the overall weight.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

BobSantini wrote:I don't know why no one has produced an aramid composite skewer. Works for tyre beads.

Zylon (as in Powercordz) or Vectran could be good candidates as well perhaps.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

For light skewers, I still like Albert Bold's product. For all-around use, the best are Shimano Dura-Ace or Campagnolo. They aren't light, but the sure hold well in all conditions.

cerro

by cerro

Used kcnc first, then Aerozine and the light carbon-ti, now I'm using Tune U20 and like them a lot for road and cx. Will get another pair for next year :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Geoff wrote:For light skewers, I still like Albert Bold's product.

:?:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

cloudnine

by cloudnine

DA skewers for me too, It's heavy but I have the piece of mind that it won't break.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:
Geoff wrote:For light skewers, I still like Albert Bold's product.

:?:

http://www.boldprecision.com/skewers.htm

Rush

by Rush

Have built some new wheels (Alchemy hubs) with KCNC skewers. These are for my new bike but I've thrown them on my old bike to check the build and ride them before my new frame arrives.

My old bike has sloping drop-outs and a few times the rear wheel has come loose. I think I'll stick with my existing skewer (Shimano 600 Ultegra) for the old frame, and leave the KCNC skewer for the new frame with its vertical dropout.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I use Fulcrum and Shimano (came with Racing 3's and RS80's respectively) as they have a nice smooth engagement and never slip.

I've also got some of the Planet X (i.e. rebrands of the same lightweight ones everyone else has posted) -
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR/planet_x_ti_stick_quick_release_with_carbon_levers

I found that using them I'd get a strange thwacking noise when I hit a pothole (in London you can't miss them all). Don't know if it was the wheel slipping in the dropout or something else but I lost confidence in them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com