Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sihunt1010

by sihunt1010

Thanks! Next time I'm in Norway I'll have a look!

Nice blog!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Just looking at the b2b now and 9000 is out of stock with madision still. Stock is coming in between Novemebr anfd January depending on the parts. so you might have a bit of wait for a full groupset.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Did you notice any differences in hood feel, shape, dimensions between 9000 and 9070? How about vs. 7970?

mgordon

by mgordon

I agree with what ipenguinking - I went into the show set on buying Di2 - and left very unsure if I didn't want mechanical.

Hood shape is basically the same 7970 -> 9070

Hood shape for 9000 is ALMOST as good (to me) as the Di2 versions, it's a lot closer to Di2-shape than 7900-shape. For me the Di2-shaped hoods are the best I've used.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

ipenguinking wrote:Shimano had two bikes on trainer for test ride at Interbike last week: one with 9000 and the other one with 9070. I rode both and prefer mechanical over electric because mechanical's rear shifting is quicker w/ positive feedback and front shifting is almost as effortless. Yes 9000's front shifting is just that good. Wayne Stetina told me it's not uncommon that people prefer 9000 over 9070.

How large was the lever throw? When i tested Ultegra Di2 vs DA 7900 (coming from Campagnolo) the lever throw felt huge with an initial section of throw where nothing really happened. Has this been resolved in 9000?

lqdedison

by lqdedison

DA 9000 is actually available if you look around. Google bike 24, it's a german online retailer, they have it...everything but the crankset that is...

A lot of companies will get left over stock from OEM's that have already finished building bikes for the next season, now is a typical time in the season when some of the "leftovers" can be had.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

SvenNijs wrote:
ipenguinking wrote:Shimano had two bikes on trainer for test ride at Interbike last week: one with 9000 and the other one with 9070. I rode both and prefer mechanical over electric because mechanical's rear shifting is quicker w/ positive feedback and front shifting is almost as effortless. Yes 9000's front shifting is just that good. Wayne Stetina told me it's not uncommon that people prefer 9000 over 9070.

How large was the lever throw? When i tested Ultegra Di2 vs DA 7900 (coming from Campagnolo) the lever throw felt huge with an initial section of throw where nothing really happened. Has this been resolved in 9000?

I don't ride 7900 so I can't tell you how do they compare. (I have Red on my bike) However I can tell you 9000's front shifting is very fast and effortless. Wayne Stetina asked me to try with 2 figers placing on top of the lever (next to the hood for less leverage) and that also worked effortlessly. He said the new FD design (long arm) and cable really make the different.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Bit of a fluff piece, but interesting nonetheless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfnJ1nC ... ture=g-u-u

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Why is half the video at like 5 frames per second? It's doing my head in.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

:lol: They do like their slo-mo.

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

I have had DA7900 for some time and rode the DA9000 at Interbike on the road and it is an impressive improvement. For me it was the lightest front and rear cable rear derailleur to shift. The hoods feel smaller, yet more comfortable. The front der shifted flawlessly even when standing while climbing some of the steeper driveways around Boulder city. The ability to route front der cable to two different leverages, by choosing which side of the cable bolt to place the cable. Will help a lot of poor frame cable routing designs out. Shimano sends a neat little tool for this. The brakes have a light action. Others have mentioned that DA9000 feels simular to older DA7800, which I had for some time, are correct. But it is even lighter than 7800 ever was. Someone mentioned using two fingers which will work very well with just a little practice and a slight change in ones grip on the hoods. Some of the parts suppliers in the US are taking pre-orders for shipments scheduled to arrive soon. I'm already in line although I do not know what to do for wheels or maybe just change a freehub body on a current pair.

ttts2

by ttts2

I'll add my name to the list of fans. Managed to get some extended test time on 9000 and was amazed that it could feel so much better than previous mechanical systems. The dilemma is wheel choice and its giving me a headache as neutral service at races although I'll probably just interchange campy and shimano 11speed wheels as the spacing is close enough to work... The 9000 wheel range does look promising but its all extra £££

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

ttts2 wrote:The dilemma is wheel choice and its giving me a headache as neutral service at races although I'll probably just interchange campy and shimano 11speed wheels as the spacing is close enough to work.

Same headache we faced when brands first went 8>9, 9>10 and then 10>11. In most races you'd get what the neutral service guy had in his hand and hoped it worked well enough to get you back to the strip...

Omiar

by Omiar

tcurtbike wrote:Bit of a fluff piece, but interesting nonetheless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfnJ1nC ... ture=g-u-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ultegra FD @ 8:34
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com