New SwissStop Carbon Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.
Has CarbonSports done any testing of the Black Prince pads yet?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

They may not have, but the new set of Zipp 202 clinchers here came with dark grey pads marked Swisstop :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Charles, are you implying that those dark grey pads are Lightweight pads (the pads which Lightweight provides with their wheels and which are the special version for Lightweight of the Swiss Stop yellows)? And if so, are you implying that those pads are being cleared out?

Where is "here" with respect to where the Zipp 202 clinchers came, and where did they come from?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

nope...

These are Zipp badged swisstop pads and are a new pad. They came directly from Zipp along with the to-be-released Firecrest 202 clinchers.

They're not the same pads as the last gen lightweight labeled swisstops.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Other than the color, are they the same as the Swiss Stop Black Prince?

motorthings

by motorthings

aren't the zipp tangente platinum pro made by swissstop? i'd guess that's what comes with the 202's

swissstop said the black prince pads would be available after interbike, but I haven't seen them yet.

Juggler

by Juggler

Not intending to hi-jack this thread... but what about the specific Enve pads? Any experience with those?

I have just bought a set of them... swapping from yellow SS. Haven't tried them yet, but according to the guy who imports Enve rims, they are the best choice.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

bluhorizan

by bluhorizan

Just bought a lightly used set of 2010 Reynolds carbon MV32 tubular set of wheels. Installed Swiss Yellow Stop brake pads which I've used in the past with other carbon wheels and has been the gold standard for carbon rims. Went for my first ride and now remember why I enjoy a 1050 gram carbon wheel set so much: Incredible and almost effortless acceleration, climbing and cornering. Had a PR for the year on a 8 mile 7-8% grade climb with some sections in the 10+% range. On descent, stopped several times to check on rim temperature; too hot to touch briefly on a couple of occasions but no evidence of glue softening or tire movement. Braking was good in slowing down from fast; 20-30 down to low teens. Braking hard to less than 10 mph in sharp switch backs was less confidence inspiring with minor squeal and bike traveling a fair distance (maybe 20- 30 feet) before coming to a complete stop. Sounds like the Reynolds blue pads may be a better choice for my wheel set from what others are saying. Or would you wait and get the new Swiss Stop Black pads that seem to be the newest kid on the block?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

charles' new zipp pad is most likely the new platinum evo pad. thinner for better wide rim clearance, but wider (taller, technically. the top is higher and the bottom is lower). i dont remember the details of any improvements. needless to say, it's slight, or they wouldve given it a new name/new color/charged more.

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

HammerTime2 wrote:
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.
Has CarbonSports done any testing of the Black Prince pads yet?

We're still testing them.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

konky

by konky

I have been riding with the Zipp Tangente Platinum pads for a couple of months now. The performance is good but they leave grey streaks on both my carbon tubular wheelsets. It's damn tough to get then off too. The only way I can is hard wiping with alcohol such as nail varnish remover.

I'm hoping the new Black Prince pads will be better in this respect.

Any recommendations on high quality pads that don't leave streaks?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i'd go over the surface again with straight alcohol or at least water if youre using nailpolish remover. it may leave a residue that may soften the pad, causing more streaking.

virenque

by virenque

These came with a pair of the new SRAM 2012 RED AeroLink Brakes, are are they for aluminium or carbon?
Attachments
IMAG0181.jpg

Cosmo

by Cosmo

gray=carbon. SRAM pads for alum are black.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Green are for aluminum also.