All carbon saddle with no pad/cover--anybody ride these?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 573

I use bare carbon saddles with good bibs and have no issues with discomfort despite the people I ride with not believing me.

Currently on a Selle Italia SLR Tekno (85g), which is comfier than the one it replaces - a regular SLR I stripped of its leather cover (104g). The extra comfort comes from the higher grade carbon and the full carbon rails rather than the titanium ones.

Comfort is all about the shape rather than the padding in my opinion. As long as your sit bones are aligned with the correct saddle it should be comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

i'd rather save weight on some 0Gs, that''s how much i think these dont work.

i mean you COULD get used to it, but if u try the regular saddles by accident u d be left wondering why the hell u r doing this? It's kinda like going vegetarian...
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by 573

Except it isn't.

sandico

by sandico

That Selle Italia SLR Tekno is gorgeous but holy cow what a price! Cheapest on eBay was $375 shipped. Think I will try that alero first. It's 13gms heavier but will leave my wallet $275 heavier which I sells like!

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

A full carbon saddle doesn't have to empty your piggy bank: Smud carbon saddles are 119 Euros (~$150) and really do weigh 69 grams; very well made too. If the shape fits your bottom they're a great deal provided you can wait several months to get it. http://smud-carbon.eu/saddle.html
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

kman

by kman

sungod wrote:ax lightness phoenix, most comfy saddle i've ever had - the 'rails' at the rear act as leaf springs

I had one and found it painfully uncomfortable. Sold it and bought a speedneedle marathon which is not perfect but very good.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

smike

by smike

I had a full carbon one that looked very similar to my slr. Took it out for a maiden voyage 62 mile ride. My taint was extremely angry with me. Took it off after that ride and never used it again.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Okay I may be an opposite extreme here but I find most saddles absolutely intolerable. Very sensitive undercarriage here. By the way I'm 55kg at a good time during the year.

I had a Selle Italia saddle like OP's current one and that was pure misery, likewise with an Arione. I then had an AX lightness Apollo and actually that was better but still uncomfortable. I mean these saddles were so uncomfortable I'd be in unbearable pain after 5-10 miles with nasty saddle sore and very bruised - not to mention they'd also seriously effect my pedalling style and general enjoyment of riding my bike. I've noticed that the fizik, Selle italia have barely any flex and that seemed an issue for me, the AX had more flex which was better but I still couldn't handle the hardness of it.

Since then I've gone back to an old saddle that actually came with one of my first road bikes... A WTB thinline silverado. No it isn't light at 250g but it cost me a tenner off ebay and it's the only saddle I can ride. It has loads of padding and tons of flex, and a similar shape to AX lightness apollo/sprint/endurance. I can recommend it to those of you who are still really struggling to find a nice saddle.

As an extra anecdote I went out on my winter bike recently that didn't have a saddle on it so I put the old Selle italia one on it to see if it'd be okay for a 10 mile ride. It was EVEN WORSE. I don't think my balls or my groin have forgiven me yet for that.