New bike but unsure which one... (now with decision!!!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Currently riding a Look 595, which is a great bike. Built up with Campy Record (10-spd), Rotor 3D Quarq with 50/36 Q-rings, 3T Ergonova Team and ARX Team steam, Prologo Scratch saddle and Speedplay pedals. I really like all the components so I won't necessarily look to change them out any time soon. If possible, I'd like to have the option of going Campy EPS in the future, so dual port, or something that is easily converted would be nice...

I do realize that although the Look is very comfortable, it's also a bit on the heavier side... I do ride lots of mountains, so a bike that climbs well (weight and stiffness), decends well (front end stiffness and balance), but I also like to mix it up in the town line sprints (for a smaller guys, I do have a punchy sprint). I do use my road bike a few times a year in the hillier triathlons around here, so that's a factor that I'd like to take in consideration.

Now, here's the question... what bike to look for? Thinking Scott Foil, which should give me plenty of what I'm looking for, but I'm afraid I would lose lots of comfort, which I really like about the 595... Specialized Venge, should give me lots of what I'm looking for, but it's not that light... Tarmac SL4, light, but compared to the Foil and Venge, I would give up aerodynamics...

The last option is simply a Look 695, which I'm certain would give me pretty much everything I'm looking for, but I would lose the ability to use my power meter... Yes, I know you can use an adaptor, but that's really reducing the benefit of the 695... I have a ZedTech crank on my tri bike (Look 596) and it's the stiffest crank I've ever seen!!!
Last edited by audiojan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

OrPe

by OrPe

Not sure as for $$$, but you can tune a parlee to match the look smoothness, right?
If that is the case, than a Z3 built for smoothness would serve you well.

(Disclaimer - i stepped off a Z4 onto a 595 ultra and adore the added smoothness the EPost introduces).

Oren.

p.s. now that i looked at the Z3 AND 695 pricing... its quite scary :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I have to suggest trying a cervelo r3 or r5. I have an SLC-SL and ride my R5 19 times out of 20 over it as I feel that the added stiffness and comfort far outweighs the aero benefits. Plus it is a rocket uphill (I am not however...)

If you are looking for straight weight and interested in specialized, most SL3 actually are lighter than the SL4... The SL4 is just TONS stiffer in the front end.

I would also checkout the new aero trek. I personally have not ridden it, but everything I have heard and that Trek claims makes it seem like a pretty slick bike (and stiff and light).

audiojan

by audiojan

Thanks for the suggestions.

Trek doesn't fit me well so that's out. Cervelo might be a choice, but I've tried an R3 in the past the geometry is border line working for me, but not as good as the Look's... I know that Cervelo has changed their geometries, so that might make it a bit better for me...

At this point, I'm leaning toward giving up my power meter and just get a Look 695... I know the geometry is about as close to perfect for me as it comes (the 595 is like a pair of worn in jeans... just super comfortable!).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Frankie13

by Frankie13

The 695 and you could get a Power tap build wheel.

audiojan

by audiojan

Powertap is not a real option... Used to have a powertap and I always felt like I had to use that wheel... I do have a few different wheels that I use for different times/races, so I'd rather not start getting a powertap as that would just end up with 3 sets of wheels with power taps... that's why I really like my Quarq...

audiojan

by audiojan

Found yet another option... Parlee Z5 (may even spring for the Z5SL)... Looks amazing and all the ride reports describe pretty much just like my wish list... comfortable, stable, light, the only thing missing is aerodynamic, but hey, you can't get it all, right...

Will schedule a Z5 test ride in the near future...

audiojan

by audiojan

So the new frame will be a Parlee Z5. Just got a great deal on a standard Z5 (not SL), but wow does this thing ride well!

Now, what seatpost to get? Enve looks like the logical choice, but I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere... Would need about 20mm setback. If possible, I'd like to keep the cost down a bit (AX Lightness is out... although I think that would look amazing...), but also I'd like to keep it light (or light-ish... I'm 165lbs right now but usually around 158-160 in season (added weight with an injury... darn it, it's hard to stop eating!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com