Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm thinking of getting some Bont Vaypors to replace my aging Shimano road shoes. I'll likely order them directly off the Bont website, since they have the blue/black colour that I want and Bont has some deal on where you can get custom colours for free this month. A couple of questions:

Where are Bonts made? I know they are an Australian company, but are the shoes themselves made in Australia as well?

Bont's online store just says shipping is with Fedex.. There are no other details. Have any Canadians on here ordered from Bont? How much did it cost, and how long did it take? Were you hit with duty/brokerage fees by Fedex?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I believe all Bont shoes are made in Asia. Not sure where but Bont just says Asia. I absolutely love my Vaypors! Fixed all my issues I had with my Sidis.

I molded the twice for good measure. The second time was after a couple rides (had no issues) and it fit even better. I can actually ride with them unbuckled and unstrapped and my foot doesn't move.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Alright so I finally ordered a pair of Bont's from Excel sports when they were running their 20% sale so got the A2's for $200 which isn't great or terrible. Decent deal I would say. Anyhow, ordered a size 42 but unfortunately with my eSoles they were too small, getting some major toe jam just walking around my apartment in them.

Sent them back to try 42.5 which hopefully is the ticket. I will say however that the 42 felt really great except for the toe thing, super secure and felt like they were "part of my foot" almost with how structured and supportive they were.

I currently ride Giro Factor's in 42.5 and they are comfortable EXCEPT sometimes when I'm climbing out of the saddle I feel like I'm going to pull out of the shoe due to the soft upper even though they are strapped down tight. Also, I tend to overtighten them to get my foot to feel really secure.

Really hoping the Bont's will help out on both of those issues assuming of course the 42.5 fit fine with the eSoles :mrgreen:
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Use the stock insoles. I had heat moldable insoles at first but I got a much better fit with the stock ones. It allows your heel to sit low and secure into the heel pocket. After molding the shoes the bottom contours my feet and adds support just like the insoles before.

After finding the fit better I asked Bont and they confirmed that the stock thin insoles is better than orthotics. Unless you have exceptionally different feet with special needs then use the stock thin insole.

ph

by ph

I am actually going through the exact same process as SolidSnake03 but for Bont Vaypors.

Measured my feet per Bont online instructions. Website indicated 41. Tried this and it was too small.
Tried a 42 which seemed to be about right with stock insoles. No chance of getting my esoles even in the shoe.
Have now ordered 42.5 and 43 to compare.

I have low volume feet with quite low arches and used esoles in my cycling shoes (old Spec S works - single dial) exclusively for 3+ years. These insoles made a significant improvement in the comfort of those shoes. All was fine until this year which I suspect had to do with the Spec shoes breaking down and losing support. I wanted to give the Bont's a try due to a combination of stiffness, weight and price. The new Sidi Wires look like great shoes but are expensive.

I would consider myself as having difficult but perhaps not exceptionally difficult feet. My instinct is that using standard thin insoles along with a new shoe platform would be a step beyond which I'm ready to take. But then again I'm posting and reading here because I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

NWSAlpine - good tip on the heel fit. I'll definitely bear check that on my next fitting.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

NWSAlpine wrote:Use the stock insoles. I had heat moldable insoles at first but I got a much better fit with the stock ones. It allows your heel to sit low and secure into the heel pocket. After molding the shoes the bottom contours my feet and adds support just like the insoles before.

After finding the fit better I asked Bont and they confirmed that the stock thin insoles is better than orthotics. Unless you have exceptionally different feet with special needs then use the stock thin insole.

I tried the Bont insoles first and yes it did help a good deal with the toe, there was a bit of "jam" still. Also, when I walked around with the thin Bont insoles my arch's felt very loose and poor.

I have tried thin company brand insoles in the past and the same issues ALWAYS happen, my arch's get sore and my feet track poorly, my knee's dip in when pedaling because of the arch collapse. Since I started using eSoles a couple month's ago my foot comfort has gone up a huge amount, no more arch problems and my knee's track significantly better.

Using the super thin company insoles will not in any way provide the amount of support the eSoles will. Just look at the company brand one's compared to a pair of eSoles with a higher lvl of support *blue arch, thats what I use*. There is NO comparison in terms of arch height and support.

Also, how exactly does the thin insole mold up into your arch to prevent it from collapsing? I don't see physically how it would be possible to mold the Bont shoe and insole UPWARD into your arch to keep it from falling during the pedaling cycling especially since you mold them in a static position.

Listen, I know what the company said however, logically that does not make sense for the reasons stated above.

To ph
I pretty much ignored the Bont sizing wizard because just like you it told me 41 however I wore 42 in Specialized and 42.5 in Giro Factor's. I went with what I usually defer to which is size 42. Basically the same thing you described happened to me when I first got my Factors, 42 fit with the stock insoles but 42.5 was needed for eSoles. I think the Bont's are going to be like Giro in fit where I will have to go up a half size to get the eSoles to fit comfortably.

Anyhow, it looks like we may have the very similar sized feet. Mine are also quite low volume but with a medium arch that tends to collapse hence the blue arch support for my left foot and black for my right feeling quite good.

I personally would recommend sticking with the eSoles if they work for you because although you may not sit as deep in the heel, the foot as a whole will be better supported and controlled thanks to the arch.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

If you have really high arches then you might need some more arch support. Usually high arch foot can be molded using a vacuum bag mold. Heat them as you normally would and install the stock insole. The bag is then placed over the lower leg/ankle and then the force will compress everything. Take the stance with the bags and after they cool you will have the shell molded to your high arch. Usually podiatrists who do a lot of custom orthotic work will have vacuum mold stuff.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

You do see how much more effect/work/time and possible cost goes into that approach correct? Maybe that method would allow one to get the shoe and insole "up" into the arch that way but at what expense in regards to time and money?

The eSoles insoles already fit my feet well, provide the support needed and have a minimal cost compared to a vacuum molding method.

Also, it is not simply about high/low arch, it is about how much the arch either drops or holds under pressure/load. You could have "high arches" looking at your feet but if the arch doesn't collapse significantly when pedaling then high amount of support are most likely not needed. The eSoles all you to determine the level of arch needed instead of just molding the shoe to your arch which again doesn't take into account the amount of drop the arch may have.

A static method of molding the shoe to one's foot and arch is inferior to a dynamic one such as determining how stable the arch feels while actually pedaling.

The method you described would mold the shoe to your STATIC arch however, as I mentioned prior this does not take into account the action of the arch during pedaling. Assuming a "pedaling stance" type thing sure can help however it is not an equal trade off for actually pedaling itself where load is being applied in a circular path.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of Bont Vaypor road shoes. Bont's sizing wizard recommends a 46 Wide for me, but I can't seem to find an online retailer that carries the wide sizes. I think Bont's own website has an online shop, but they tend to be expensive and they use FedEx for shipping. I'd prefer to use postal system to avoid outrageous brokerage fees.

Does anyone know of an online shop that carries Bont in wide sizes? Bonus points if they have free shipping to Canada. Thanks.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

jspaceman, I recommend bicitech.ca as they are in Canada. I dealt with them for some spare parts for my A1's, and their service was superb. Their website is quite barren, but their email is info@bicitech.ca
:beerchug:

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Just wanted to give an update on my A2's. Had them about a week or so now in the correct size *42.5* for my eSoles to fit and I can say I'm very happy with them. Molded this twice right off the bat to get the right shoe stretched out properly for a few "odd toes". Since then I have only had about 2 good rides on them but they have been quite nice. The stiff uppers are awesome and so far NO numb toes! I think the extra width that the Bont's have in the forefoot is really helpful

Loving the A2's so far and it doesn't hurt they look nice to boot :thumbup:

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Update: Velodrome Shop in the UK seems to carry the Bonts for wide feet. I'm thinking of ordering a pair. Anyone familiar with Velodrome Shop? Good? Bad?

I'm considering either the Bont Vaypors or the Sidi Genius 6.6 Megas.

I remeasured my feet tonight, with my cycling socks on and after a 5km run too so maybe they were a little swollen. I got 289mm for the length and 117 for the width. Bont's size wizard says I need a 46.5 Wide.

I currently have an old pair of Shimano SH-R151 road shoes, size 46; and a pair of Sidi Dominator 5 mountain bike shoes in a 46 Mega size. Both fit really well. I'm wondering if the Bonts are similar to the Sidis in that they are narrow.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Bonts are crazy wide. I have fat feet, but the Bont wide was too much.

I've worn Sidi regular width and Mega wides. The Bont wide is wider than the Mega.

If your foot has plenty of room I snide your Dominator Mega, go reg width Bont.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

jspaceman wrote:Update: Velodrome Shop in the UK seems to carry the Bonts for wide feet. I'm thinking of ordering a pair. Anyone familiar with Velodrome Shop? Good? Bad?

I'm considering either the Bont Vaypors or the Sidi Genius 6.6 Megas.

I remeasured my feet tonight, with my cycling socks on and after a 5km run too so maybe they were a little swollen. I got 289mm for the length and 117 for the width. Bont's size wizard says I need a 46.5 Wide.

I currently have an old pair of Shimano SH-R151 road shoes, size 46; and a pair of Sidi Dominator 5 mountain bike shoes in a 46 Mega size. Both fit really well. I'm wondering if the Bonts are similar to the Sidis in that they are narrow.

In my comparison between Bont, Giro, Specialized and Northwave the Bont seem to run true to length but are larger in the toe/metatarsal area. I wear a 42.5 in all of these except for the Northwave in which the 42.5 is actually too long. With both the Spec and the Giro my wider foot *right foot* felt like I was always riding on the edge of it and I would get numb toes no matter what I did. So far with the Bont that doesn't seem to the be the case which I'm attributing largely to the wider toe area.

to summarize, Bont seem to be roughly the same length per given size as other major manufacturer's *Giro, Spec* but wider in the toe, with the actual sole/last being wider as opposed to just more material on top.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

My Bont A1 arrived!
I am impressed with the brutal stiffness! I can not squeeze them to know where are my toes. I have not tested it on the bike, but apparently tasted and were good. I used the Size Wizard and gave the same number of my Sidis (Ergo 1 and Energy). I'll test them tomorrow, I hope I like it!

The only problem I'm having is that I can not tighten a bolt of Cleat of the left shoe. The piece that receives the screw rotates along with this, like a infinity screw-thread. :noidea:
I tried to hold the piece inside and tighten the screw but he escapes. I left anyway, hope the cleat does not move tomorrow.