SRAM Red - the definite thread, for all your questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JTKK

by JTKK

refthimos wrote:Any updates on how the 2012 yaw FD works with Rotor Q-rings?

I have a Rotor 3d+ SRM crank on its way with Q-rings and will be using it with the 2012 yaw FD. I also have the 2012 shifters ready to slap on the new build, but Caley's research and article has me thinking that the new shifters were a completely unnecessary (and possibly counterproductive) purchase.

Curious what real-world experience Q-rings users are having with the new FD.

I have now used Rotor 3d+, Q-rings, YAW FD and old shifters about 1800km.
Shifting is perfect, I'm pretty amazed how good Q-rings work with YAW FD, smooth and precise. Setup is a little bit tricky but nothing too bad just watch that SRAM instruction video and use inline barrel adjuster to get correct cable tension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danoontje

by danoontje

anyone tried 6700 shifters with yaw?

mikefromcanmore

by mikefromcanmore

Using it with previous Red shifters and Rotor Q rings and it works very well. For the longest time I would over tension the FD cable and have issues. I have to set the FD very close to the top of the oval. Once I figured all t his out....silky.

MikefromCanmore

sandico

by sandico

Got 2013 SRAM Red FD and RD cables, and Jagwire Brake cables. 60 cm frame so a longer run than smaller frames.

Others have said Flywire or Alligator cables are lighter?

How much would I save? 10 gms? 50 gms?

And cost wise, its $___?

Thanks!

sungod

by sungod

nokon+powercordz saved a bit over 100g vs. the original gore ride-on on mine, that's for brakes+gears

use the optional powercordz liner, not the nokon liner

sandico

by sandico

That is CRAZY! Who would think 100 gms from cables?

I will look into that. Thanks!

timzcat

by timzcat

IIRC Alligator ilinks are lighter the Nokon. They are also easier to install.

fletch62

by fletch62

I have been riding Campag for a couple years now, but after coming home and finding the chainring bolts missing from the Reccord 11 crankset again, second time in 12 months, i'm going to swap to SRAM Red.

I bought a TT bike with Red which i have not ridden, so swapping the parts over to my Parlee Z4, and the Campag Record 11 is going on an old steel Colnago.

I have the f & r derailleurs and crankset, selling the brakes(using Planet X) but need shifters and cables.

What do i need to know?
It will be the old Red? so am i better getting the 2011 or 2012/3 shifters?
Use the standard cables or go with something like Yokozuna's or ilinks and will they work with Planet X brakes?
Front derailleur is the Ti cage version which has alignment issues? Keep this or get the new Yaw one?

Should i change or is it blasphemy?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Either shifter will work. The new shifters are supposed to be better ergonomically and are certainly lighter than the older ones by about 10g. The Ti cage FD is shit. I tried to get one to work for me for ages, just too flexy.

The new yaw one is great. Whole big ring without trim, no rubbing. Can also use a force or 7800 DA mech, both work better than Ti red FD.

I have used aican bungarus - seems to work okay, no experience with the other cables mentioned.

I run too bikes with sram. Don't listen to the haters, it is a great group, just not the 1st gen FD.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrfish

by mrfish

Hmmm... I'd say some higher strength loctite and the proper chainring bolt tool might be a more cost effective solution, unless you really want to swap.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

I have both versions of SRAM Red. The biggest diff between 1st and 2nd gen is the front shifting. It is much improved in the 2nd generation. But, if the 1st gen is set up properly it can shift pretty well. Just not as well.

If your happy with Campy I'd go to a good mechanic and get those bolts secured. Loctite.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

If you have the old FD and RD I don't believe the new Shifters will work. You will have to go with the older 'black' edition.
the 2012 Yaw FD must be used with a yaw shifter and chainring according to sram.
(I'm running a new med cage RD with old shifters on my CX and it works great, but that is 1 x 10)

I guess i'm the only guy that never really had issues with the RED Ti FD. I run it on two bikes with no issues whatsoever. I do live in a fairly flat area though so I guess I'm normaly not shifting to the big ring under load like everybody else seems to do. :noidea:

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

The Yokozuna cable housings are too wide to fit in the Planet X brakes. Ilinks work great with them though.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fletch62 wrote:I have been riding Campag for a couple years now, but after coming home and finding the chainring bolts missing from the Reccord 11 crankset again, second time in 12 months, i'm going to swap to SRAM Red.

I bought a TT bike with Red which i have not ridden, so swapping the parts over to my Parlee Z4, and the Campag Record 11 is going on an old steel Colnago.

I have the f & r derailleurs and crankset, selling the brakes(using Planet X) but need shifters and cables.

What do i need to know?
It will be the old Red? so am i better getting the 2011 or 2012/3 shifters?
Use the standard cables or go with something like Yokozuna's or ilinks and will they work with Planet X brakes?
Front derailleur is the Ti cage version which has alignment issues? Keep this or get the new Yaw one?

Should i change or is it blasphemy?
How on earth do you lose chainring bolts in less than a couple of years??

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Ride campy all my life and never have lost a single bolt. Change you mechanic and use Loctite.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com