Good, light replacement crankset for Trek Madone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fluxgame

by fluxgame

I have a Trek Madone that I'm looking to lighten up a bit. Currently have an FSA Energy crankset. Can anyone recommend a 130BCD crankset that is substantially lighter than what I have that would be compatible with my BB90 frame? I've looked at the Extralights and Lightning cranks, but they don't seem to have compatible versions.

Colin

by Colin

I believe lightning makes bearings to work with your BB90 frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

fluxgame wrote:I have a Trek Madone that I'm looking to lighten up a bit. Currently have an FSA Energy crankset. Can anyone recommend a 130BCD crankset that is substantially lighter than what I have that would be compatible with my BB90 frame? I've looked at the Extralights and Lightning cranks, but they don't seem to have compatible versions.

****Pretty sure Lightning makes BB90 versions of their crank. I own both Lightning and Extralights (not in BB90), and both work well. The advantage of the Lightning is that you can get them in whatever length you need whereas the Extralights only come in 172.5 I think. The Lightnings are lighter as well (I think about 455ish grams complete or so with the 130 aluminum spider that is solid aluminum, and less for the 110 which is drilled out, or the carbon 130 TT spider..). The Extralights are not as stiff as the Lightnings, but have a really nice and narrow Q-factor which I prefer.

Both are nice cranks, and the bearings are easily serviced and/or replaced. The weights above are not exact, but pretty close. I am going by memory but have everything written down somewhere... if only I could remember where.. :)

fluxgame

by fluxgame

Ahhh, thanks guys. Did a little more digging and found the BB90 option for the Lightnings. Just have to save my pennies now.

daj

by daj

Lightning has a 30mm spindle so in order to make it work you need bearings that will have extremely small ball bearings. So make sure you buy lots of spare bearings because I've got a feeling you're gonna need them.

chops

by chops

Anyone know if you can use a "regular" Lightning crankset by just using the correct bearings for bb90?

joyea

by joyea

Ax-lightness have a version also, called press-fit for that kind of BB.
always try to be better, rider, person...

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Can you post a link, where i can buy the bearings to fit the lightness crank in a bb90 frame?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SRAM Red Exogram will be lighter and more cost effective.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

horse

by horse

Dura-Ace DURA-ACE dURA-aCE DuRa-AcE dura-ace only for Treks, TR..
[need one go on..?]