Ritchey WCS C-260 stem... my quick review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SL58

by SL58

Thanks, Now only if they come up with -17deg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Maybe there will be a -17deg version, but I need -17deg and 1-1/4, damn you Canyon.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/r ... eek-30996/
"Ritchey will offer the new C260 in 80mm to 130mm lengths (in 10mm increments), with a flip-flop +/-6° angle. Versions will be available for both standard 1-1/8in steerers and the bigger 1-1/4in clamp size used by Canyon and now Giant (though the latter size will only mainly be available to OEMs for now). Riders needing a more aggressive position will get a -17° option as well."

sovereign

by sovereign

"Ritchey claims the new C260 also passes the rigorous CEN testing standard and records fatigue lives three to four times longer than those of earlier forged models..."

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ritcheys-new-100g-c260-stem-sneak-peek-30996/

And 30% stiffer, per the Ritchey site.

Any updates from C260 users? Is the increased stiffness noticeable for those who have used both a C260 and a 4-Axis? Any resolution to the finish cracking around the bolts?

I am considering a Ritchey stem for a 29er HT. The increased stiffness and strength make it a no brainer for this application. Unless, the 4-Axis is "good enough", as they are much cheaper.

velobob

by velobob

I also have problems with the bolts. I tightened them to the 5NM using a torque wrench (the stem is going on my cyclocross bike so I wanted the most force possible) and when I went to try and remove them I could not - they started to strip.

anyone know where I could get some replacements??

tcsbutton

by tcsbutton

Contact Ritchey for some T-20 replacements.

Stockie

by Stockie

Why don't you replace the bolts with titanium?
That would bring the weight down to about 100 grams. That's is almost as light as an F99 stem (which is less stiff).
I Will make the leap

velobob

by velobob

thanks tcsbutton - the T-20 bolts work like a charm!!! the stem should just come with those stock

Rick

by Rick

I switched from a 3T ARX Team stem with Easton EC90 SLX bars to a Ritchey WCS Carbon Curve bar with Ritchey C260 stem.

So I can't be sure if it is the bars or the stem, but the increase in stiffness was almost astounding. I am not a guy who worships stiffness, and I never felt like my old setup was "lacking stiffness". It always seemed perfectly fine. But as soon as I switched components my first reaction was "Wow! This makes my front end feel like it is cast concrete! The reason I switched was to get wider bars, which should be less stiff in theory. I went from 40 cm to 42 cm.
The stem change was just for aesthetics.

I didn't have any problem with the C260 bolts. Since they are smaller diameter I was being very careful and used my torque wrench, but went to the full 5 Nm

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Can any one measure the length of the bolts, I'm thinking of buying the superlogic and change the bolts for Ti.
Best regards

sovereign

by sovereign

elfuinha wrote:Can any one measure the length of the bolts, I'm thinking of buying the superlogic and change the bolts for Ti.
Best regards

OAL is ~19.25mm for the bolts on the C260 Carbon. Threaded portion is ~15mm. Measured with a digital caliper, on the bike (I did not remove a bolt due to not wanting to retention.)

elfuinha

by elfuinha

M4x20mm?

Thanks

Rick

by Rick

Bolt length is cited by the threaded portion only. So, mine are 15mm, and that also includes a ~1mm flat washer under the heads.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Ok, M4x15mm
Bike hardest as them including de washers in black Ti, so that should solve
The softness of the steel bolt and should be lighter as well.

Thanks for the info, just have to wait until Nov / Dec.

eric01

by eric01

Ti bolts are softer than steel no? If you are rounding the steel bolts, you'll round the Ti bolts too if I'm not mistaken
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

elfuinha

by elfuinha

I don't think so. It depends on the titanium. 6/4 is very strong, see the bolts on the extralite they are M3 at handlebar, but all bolts in small sizes. You should always be extra careful, and use good tools.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com