2013 Parlee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 2011

Just from the looks side of things... It's NEARLY identical to the Z5... just a few tiny modifications and offered with custom geometry (How? As it appears to be a moulded frame)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsinclair

by jsinclair

i dont really get it?

It looks the same as a z5 but comes with a significant premium, and has the option for discs. As much as i love parlee, im not sure people will be all over this like they were the z5.

Maybe it will look better with horizontal geo and less head tube extension? I guess the only thing that stopped me getting a z5 was the look of the geometry in my size, i would have bought one of the top tube was flatter...

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I agree the bike does not look very special in person, especially one painted in white shown at Interbike. Now someone needs to explain how 'seamless carbon wrapped joins' make a bike ride better. The claimed 750g starting weight would make many people happy thought.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The weights been mentioned...

Theres not a single tube on this bike that hasn't been retooled and there's a lot of shape to the tubes (though very conservative, which is typical to Parlee). Different in lots of ways to the current z1sl. The detail work putting joints this clean together isn't easy either. The bike is so clean it looks like a monocoque.

incognitus

by incognitus

Does not trigger the expected buy reflex, unfortunately - at least not judging by the pictures... :noidea:
Probably a great bike, though.

eric01

by eric01

jsinclair wrote:i dont really get it?

It looks the same as a z5 but comes with a significant premium, and has the option for discs. As much as i love parlee, im not sure people will be all over this like they were the z5.

Maybe it will look better with horizontal geo and less head tube extension? I guess the only thing that stopped me getting a z5 was the look of the geometry in my size, i would have bought one of the top tube was flatter...

Well it is full custom... so you get one with a flat top tube.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Ufgators

by Ufgators

I have a reliable source that says a flat top tube is not available.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

...and by "flat" are you guys talking about flat tube construction as opposed to round or oval, or flat as in there is no slope from the seat tube to the headtube?
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

Explosif98

by Explosif98

Does anyone happen to know what the standard finishes will be on the new version of the Z5 will be? The only info I've been able to find is that the SL will continue with the matte black/ghost finish but I've seen nothing regarding the standard Z5.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ufgators wrote:I have a reliable source that says a flat top tube is not available.
I presume by flat top tube you mean zero slope. So is this reliable source saying that it is not possible to get a custom geometry Z0 with zero slope? If so, what is the reason for that policy? Does it reduce the number of variants of some kind of premanufactured gizmos for something?

ob1knob

by ob1knob

Does anyone know whether the frame will be available w/ SL tubes?

by 2011

ob1knob wrote:Does anyone know whether the frame will be available w/ SL tubes?

No such thing is "SL Tubing". The difference between the Parlee Z5 and Z5SL is not tubing. It's the exact same frame and tubing. The weight savings in the SL comes from no paint, carbon seatclamp, titanium hardware, upgraded 1.0 fork instead of 2.0 fork.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Yes it will.

There has always been different tubing options on their custom frames. (Z5 is not a custom line) :D

I spoke with Tom Rodi & Bob Parlee at the show and they said, "yes".

I think to many this looks just like a Z5, and in a lot of ways it does, but the entire cutome tubing has been updated, so-to-speak, to more modern tube shapes and sizes, but still the same quality as the Z1,Z2,Z3 (which is well know for its quality).

This really is an update, in the understated & simple, yet high quality that Parlee is known for.

Seems to make perfect sence.

Regarding the Z5:
The Z-Zero (custom) is to the Z5 (stock), as the Z3 (custom) was to the Z4 (stock)

(yes the Z4 is gone, but replaced by the Z5, as eventually the Z1,Z2,Z3 will,probably, be replaced but the Z-Zero tubing)
It's just a natural transition from a company that dosen't bring a new bike out every year, but, sytematically brings out product when it is of "top quality".

Sorry to sound like a comercial, but I am excited about this. It's a great common sence update to a brand that has always been about quality, elegance, and simplicity.

FWIW :D
Attachments
20120919-124512.jpg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arc

by Arc

Still no information update on how to mount mechanical on the Z5i ?

I am considering getting a Z5, with mechanical for starters, Z5i would give the option of going electronic later.
But if you need full length cables, then Im not sure if I would be better of with a SL and just forget about adding electronic later.