Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

1spd

by 1spd

Well, I have had quite a few bikes in the past. I have ridden several different carbon and ti frames but have somehow ended up back on steel frames. I'm not going to lie, it has been more of a financial decision this go around. None the less, here you goes.

So the Pinella is a 2009 model. Originally when built it was full Record. But as the original owner started building up a couple of other bikes some of the parts were pulled and as a result it now has mixed parts. But it is still 10spd and has a Record rear der and brakes. Cranks are Chorus, front der and shifters are Centar (he really liked the new style levers as do I). It also has another set of wheels with a lower profile rim and Aerolite spokes on White Industries hubs. Wheels pictured are also White Industries hubs with Sapim spokes. Just swapped out the seat post, stem and saddle 2 days ago. As pictured minus the tire bag bike weighs in at 18.56 lbs. With the other wheels on it, it sits at about 17.36 lbs. It's a great riding bike and I just could pass up the price I was given from a great friend of mine.

The Jabber is the result of my snapping an older cheaper frame. Yep, I snapped my cheesey alu first ever 29er frame and managed to pick up this one for only $306 on a Black Friday sale with the help of a coupon code! So far it has been awesome! Weight as pictured is 19.1!

In both cases they could be lighter and the Jabber was down to 17.8 at one point but parts started failing. The Pinella while still new to me has a long way to go. There are tons of parts that could be swapped out and I suspect I will be working on some of that over the winter.

As I mentioned before, I have had several different bikes in the past and i can say that the steel ones have always had a great ride quality to them. Since I'm not racing any more, I'm not so stressed about how stiff some of the new stuff is. My last carbon bike was a Serotta HSG and that thing simply rode like a brick. Very fast though! At this point, I am quite happy with my steel rides and I feel like I have gone full circle in ending up back on steel ponies!
Attachments
KCNC post, Aspide seat, Ritchey stem have been added/swapped in.
KCNC post, Aspide seat, Ritchey stem have been added/swapped in.
Vassago Jabberwocky SS 19.1 lbs
Vassago Jabberwocky SS 19.1 lbs
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

Here's my Bianchi with Reynolds Strikes:

With Bontrager RXL's:

Here's me in a crit:

Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

CaptainP

by CaptainP

Updated my Bob Jackson a bit today. New chain, chainring and bartape.

Still haven't grewn on the paint, so i'll probably get it painted in the winter.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

While I'm not a fan of SRAM...I do love the combo of lugged steel and carbon fork/parts... :)

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Nice one that Bob.

eurperg

by eurperg

Here's my Bottecchia with Hyperons:

welkman

by welkman

Here is my 70's steel Ron Holland, I need a setback post for it, any ideas?
Image its 9.5kg which is not bad as it came out of a garage and all I have done is strip and re-grease it. The pedals are new as is the cage.

GT56

by GT56

CaptainP wrote:Updated my Bob Jackson a bit today. New chain, chainring and bartape.

Still haven't grewn on the paint, so i'll probably get it painted in the winter.

The paint if fine, but that chain..............

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Maybe get a Nitto seatpost for the Ron Holland?

TuscanySwe

by TuscanySwe

I currently do not own a steel bike but im working on that.

I had this cool bike in an evil knievel theme with a mix of 953 and other tubes and it was my favorite "looker" and a very nice bike but fit wasent so great as it was built for someone else who was also abit heavier than me so it felt very stiff perhaps too stiff (the enve´s prolly dident help) for my weight and preference. The original owner nailed it with the paint choices imo.

My favorite steel bike to ride was an IF crown jewel in 853. Bit more plush than this kirk.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Nice! Love the steel bikes arriving on here...

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

As recently posted - my 1972 Cinelli Speciale Corsa - retoration just about finished

'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

calfee.jpg

Looks decent, but I can only think about hot HOT this would look with the new Calfee integrated EPS bar stem,

SCHWING!

nspace

by nspace

^ LOL!

^^ That bike is awesome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com