New Calfee intergrated EPS battery stem..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can't even bring myself to say "to each his own" on this one. And can no longer even keep that to myself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheCannibal

by TheCannibal

surly having a hefty battery in the stem would make the handling akin to riding with a 1980's handle bar bag?....

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Theoretically of course, surely gonna be bashing your knees on it during a sprint or when climbing out the saddle?

Reality is it will never be actually put on a bike that goes out on the road.

cmh

by cmh

That is not their best work.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Needs more cowbell...

1spd

by 1spd

Personally I doubt it is light weight. Calfee can actually take any carbon bar stem combo and combine them into a single piece. It was mentioned in the recent Road Bike Action magazine that actually featured the second Calfee bike pictured (the cross bike). In the build of that bike they considered having the battery put into the stem/bar combo but opted not to in the event of crashing the bike and being out a bunch of money. Instead they put the battery in the seat post on that bike. Personally, I agree, it is ugly and I doubt it weighs any less when you look at how much carbon had to be added to the original bar/stem.

Having recently looked into a bar/stem combo design, it looks like a lot of them weigh in right between 380 and 400g+. Not exactly a weight savings over individual bar/stem combos out there.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

BmanX

by BmanX

Well I would agree to disagree on the weight statement. It totally depends on the bar and stem that you are using and who is doing the work. I had my bar and stem done with a finished weight of 300g and it stiffened up the combo a far bit. Before the stem and bar were bonded together they weighed 296g.

If done right it should not add much weight if done right.

If you are talking manufactured bar/stem combos from many of the well known builders like Pro and such then yes they are around 400g
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if you go with a calfee carbon barstem and you dont ask for a buncha paint, it typically loses a dozen grams- versus the same bar with separate enve stem.

1spd

by 1spd

I am assuming that in this process that they drop the face plate bolts all together and perhaps even do some reshaping of the face plate area to a degree in an effort to generate a smoother shape and weight reduction. Just curious about a few things for someone that has done this.

1. Does it appear that they did the above or did they explain to you what the process was?
2. When you had this done, did you somehow mark the angles that you wanted the bars mounted in the stem or send it to them set in that position?

I don't plan on doing this myself but those questions popped up when I was reading the article I mentioned earlier in the RBA magazine. Just out of curiosity, what did they charge you to do the work? I seriously doubt that I would pay for much of any paint and if anything ask for everything to be clear coated if anything.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Looking at it thought, and considering a previous comment, I think that stem/bar design would be great for a home office trainer bike. It looks like it could support a laptop, so, I could sit on the trainer while working.

It could be quite productive.

BmanX

by BmanX

Yes I asked a ton of questions when I had my bars and stem bonded. I am in the process of getting this done again. This time I am going with someone new and we are not only bonding the stem to the bars but we are going to modify the bars as well.

When I did this the last time, I sent the stem on the bars at the angle that I liked. This was sent to the builder so the angle was exactly like I wanted. The front of the stem is then removed, completely sanded down to just leave a small scalloped section where the bar will sit then the bonding process starts. An aluminium stem that is annodized will work alright but a carbon stem works better.

I did not have mine painted and just went with clear coat and that was good enough. Most of the time depending on what stem you are using the stem modification vs carbon for bonding is a wash. They are close to the same weight.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

simonanks69

by simonanks69

I just don't understand my they just don't keep the batteries and controls inside the seatpost? It works perfectly well for Di2, so why not campy? I mean, aren't the handlebars more prone to damage in a crash? It would kinda suck having to replace a whole bar and the stem plus a battery opposed to a seat-post which hardly ever gets damaged? Doesn't make sense one bit :?
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

artray wrote:You could hide a small mammal or woodland creature inside or the ashes of a loved one.

Quality post.. I got a good laugh.

Regardless though, even if it did look like a normal stem, I like the idea of having that extra mass in the BB area. Not up high in the stem. Maybe it would would affect handling?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1spd

by 1spd

BmanX-Thanks for some clarity on that. I really do think the process is pretty cool even though I don't plan on doing it myself. I do like the look of the Cinelli's though as they just look so smooth and they are super comfy. But, I digress, I have a steel frame and don't think I'll get the bike weight down to a point that I will be happy adding the extra weight in the bars back on it (a set of Cinelli's).

do you by chance have a quick photo of how yours look just clear coated? The only ones I have really seen was the blue one in the original post and the article in RBA.