Pictures of Colnagos

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

majklnajt

by majklnajt

@old codger, nice Master!! Old school style!

BxEddie

by BxEddie

I still have a master (ten times). I bought it from new in 1990. It`s not build up at the moment. These pictures are from the winter before I got my EPS. (Removed the colnagostickers from the backwheel the same day.) But I`m planning to rebuild it this winter. I`m thinking of a slim 17° stem (but I don`t know whitch one) and a deda 215 shallow, nemesis and black modern parts again...
Any ideas welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

old codger

by old codger

majklnajt wrote:@old codger, nice Master!! Old school style!

Thank you,I've been waiting a long time to find one so small,I want a decent set of period clincher wheels now,any suggestions.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Nice bike Bx. Nice EPS too. :thumbup:

Colonia

by Colonia

jmilliron wrote:
lone wheeler wrote:^ saddle looks a bit low on that... Frame a little too big maybe?...

You're just not used to horizontal top tubes anymore.

Eh, no. It is low for the frame. That saddle height is near correct for a 70s-80s-era frame, before the advent of STI/Ergo shifting. Riders began sizing down about 2-3 cm after that, in order to maintain a decent saddle-to-bar drop. Generally, I don't think you should go lower than about 18-19 cm of combined saddle and post on a modern bike. With the current setup, there is almost no drop.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

BxEddie wrote:I still have a master (ten times). I bought it from new in 1990. It`s not build up at the moment. These pictures are from the winter before I got my EPS. (Removed the colnagostickers from the backwheel the same day.) But I`m planning to rebuild it this winter. I`m thinking of a slim 17° stem (but I don`t know whitch one) and a deda 215 shallow, nemesis and black modern parts again...
Any ideas welcome.

Nitto has a 73° stem, the NJ-89 with for 1 1/8 inch steerer and 25.4mm bars (should be ok-ish for a 26mm aluminum bar?)
There's also lugged stems floating around: http://www.rad-spannerei.de/vorbauten.php
If you're not dead set on 73° check out Nitto's CT-80 and LS-100 models, and maybe also the 3TT Mutant.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Colonia wrote:Eh, no. It is low for the frame. That saddle height is near correct for a 70s-80s-era frame, before the advent of STI/Ergo shifting. Riders began sizing down about 2-3 cm after that, in order to maintain a decent saddle-to-bar drop. Generally, I don't think you should go lower than about 18-19 cm of combined saddle and post on a modern bike. With the current setup, there is almost no drop.

Sadlle and post combined are 16 cm high.
Drop is 8,5 cm.

Colonia

by Colonia

majklnajt wrote:
Colonia wrote:Eh, no. It is low for the frame. That saddle height is near correct for a 70s-80s-era frame, before the advent of STI/Ergo shifting. Riders began sizing down about 2-3 cm after that, in order to maintain a decent saddle-to-bar drop. Generally, I don't think you should go lower than about 18-19 cm of combined saddle and post on a modern bike. With the current setup, there is almost no drop.

Sadlle and post combined are 16 cm high.
Drop is 8,5 cm.

Hm. I assumed it would be in the 6cm range judging by HT length and spacers. I run about 8.5 on my Super and Extreme-C, but both are smaller 57cm frames with 77cm seat heights.

Anyways, if it works for you that is what is important. I was just saying that it doesn't fit in the rigid boxes of a traditional or modern road fit. Kind of a mix.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Your 57 frames are smaller?? Interesting..
Mine has 55,7 TT, 18 cm HT (headset included) and 59 ST (center of BB to top of the tube, seatpost shim included).

As I already wrote above, there are days/pics when I think it looks funny... and sometimes it looks perfect :D
As you said, if it feels good, then it is good! ;)

eurperg

by eurperg

majklnajt wrote:Sadlle and post combined are 16 cm high.
Drop is 8,5 cm.

I think the fit is just fine and there is plenty of drop. And the classic bars put the hoods lower than for example Zero100 bars.

P.S. Here's a small teaser pic of my bike, updated with Record groupset, Regale Fx Carbon and Superzero seatpost... And the tires are Competitions, like them... maybe the frame filters out the harsh ride feel everybody complains about. :wink:

BxEddie

by BxEddie

wassertreter wrote:
BxEddie wrote:I still have a master (ten times). I bought it from new in 1990. It`s not build up at the moment. These pictures are from the winter before I got my EPS. (Removed the colnagostickers from the backwheel the same day.) But I`m planning to rebuild it this winter. I`m thinking of a slim 17° stem (but I don`t know whitch one) and a deda 215 shallow, nemesis and black modern parts again...
Any ideas welcome.

Nitto has a 73° stem, the NJ-89 with for 1 1/8 inch steerer and 25.4mm bars (should be ok-ish for a 26mm aluminum bar?)
There's also lugged stems floating around: http://www.rad-spannerei.de/vorbauten.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're not dead set on 73° check out Nitto's CT-80 and LS-100 models, and maybe also the 3TT Mutant.

wassertreter, cheers for that link. don`t like the bars(too old fashon, too mutch drop), but the stems look right. do they make them in berlin? Are they custom made? because I would like to have it the other way round: 1" steere and 31,6 bar to use the deda newton shallow. I should give them a call...

BxEddie

by BxEddie

eurperg`s saddle nose is showing upwards like mine. but it feels right...
Thanks irongatsby. made some changes back to deda parts.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

@eurperg, sorry, but I liked your CT more with campy seatpost and old Regal ;)

@BxEddie, cool to see your bike again with Deda parts! :thumbup:
However, I cant ged used to the white seatpost and golden niplles ;)

willy

by willy

Both are true winners in my book, the ct2 with deda post plus record looks nice...and that eps is great with the ambrosios..bxeddie, I really liked your master setup with the ti shamals and deda zero100, retro modern but classy, u definitely shouild build it up again

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

majklnajt wrote:Your 57 frames are smaller?? Interesting..
Mine has 55,7 TT, 18 cm HT (headset included) and 59 ST (center of BB to top of the tube, seatpost shim included).

As I already wrote above, there are days/pics when I think it looks funny... and sometimes it looks perfect :D
As you said, if it feels good, then it is good! ;)

Damjan: your bike looks fine and is fine. But I do believe your frame is a 58cm, unless it is custom geometry. Colnago frame sizes are measured from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube where it actually meets the bottom of the seat collar. So, a 58 frame would measure about 59 to the top of the seat collar (where you say you are measuring to). I suspect your headtube measures 165mm (between the headset cups). If it was a 57 it would measure closer to 158mm. Your top tube (c-c) is likely 563mm if measured accurately and the seat tube intersects the top tube (c-c) at 560mm to be precise. But at the end of the day, I think your bike looks very good and it seems to fit. I like the -17 stem on it and the bars you currently have. Looks like you can get plenty low enough with that setup if you want. And like Eurperg mentioned, the hoods are properly set lower than the tops of the bars with your classic bars. I really like this setup because it give you basically 3 progressively lower and more aggressive positions. Climbing on the tops of the bars, then lower and more stretched on the hoods then lower again in the drops. It pains me to see bikes set up with a rising stem, and the bars following that rising line, with the hoods continuing that line and ending up being the highest point for your hands. Think about it. As you get more aggressive and stretched out, you want to move lower and forward and maintain a comfortable position. If, as you move forward and more stretched and have to reach higher for the hoods, well... like I said... think about it. Of course, personal preference can and should override any guidelines others might give you, but it's good to weigh all your options and suggestions and come to your own conclusions.

Eurperg: Have always like your bike. And I concur about the Regale saddle needing to be pointed up a tad in order to be feeling like your not sliding forward all the time. I tried one when I first set up my C59 because I liked the looks of it but after a 100 miles I knew it wasn't for me. But same thing, I did have to have it pointed up just like you have. It was just too wide for me. But a really nice saddle.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com