USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

shadster "Millar asked questions many journalists in the room were not prepared to so big kudos to him!"
Why don't the press start asking the tough questions ? If every time someone gives a press conference and refuses to ask questions what is the point? They may as well just release a press statement .
maquisard I agree with nearly all your views . When Millar rode in the olympics after saying he would not due to his doping and respect to the olympic ethos he lost my respect. He missed a great chance to make a point and blew it to serve his own ego.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

icebreaker wrote:
J-Nice wrote:Now there are Us Senators involved. Suddenly, after years of processing doping cases, there is a sudden need for Congressional oversight of the USADA. Despicable to say the least.

For a little background, Conyers tried to obstruct the Marion Jones case and Sensenbrenner is Trek's Congressman.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/106584121/Jud-Usada-XML

Probably not the way you meant it, but that just struck me really funny. And a bit, possibly, too true.
Well, maybe it is the way he meant it, in the sense of Sensenbrenner being bought and paid for by Trek (in the interest of libel avoidance, I am not saying that Sensenbrenner is bought and paid for by Trek).

In the other sense, it appears not to be quite the case, as Trek headquarters is not in Sensenbrenner's district.
On July 24, 2012 in this thread, HammerTime2 wrote:Has anyone asked why Congressman Sensenbrenner would take a personal interest in the Lance Armstrong matter?

Well, Congressman Sensenbrenner represents the 5th Congressional District of Wisconsin http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/District/ , which includes part of Jefferson County. Trek Bicycle Corporation is headquartered in and has manufacturing operations in Waterloo, Wisconsin, which is in Jefferson County, but not in the 5th Congressional District, and is about 15 miles away from its border. Trek and its employees represent a significant part of the tax revenues of Jefferson County, some of whose residents are in the 5th Congressional District. I suspect many of the employees of Trek live in the 5th Congressional district. Lance Armstrong has an ownership stake in Trek, and the reputation of Lance Armstrong could significantly impact Trek's sales, profits, and number of employees.

I believe the technical legal expression for this is: "What a coinkydink."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:Will the United States become a larger example of the NFL, where "testing" occurs but under their own terms and the only violations are for recreational drugs?
(Because, well, 300lb men are able to run 50yds in a matter of seconds like Usain Bolt, naturally.)
Well, perhaps some 300lb men in the NFL could stay with Usain Bolt for the first 10 or even 20 meters out of the blocks, but I am not aware of any who could stay with him over the course of 100 meters. Now, I am not saying that there's no use of PEDs in the NFL, but perhaps hyperbole should be more carefully expended.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Death threats against Travis Tygart aside, the USADA will present their evidence against Armstrong to the UCI this week, and after that it will be made public.

It's been said the evidence will be made public before the end of the year, but that is not true. We will see it way before then.

Tygart, not a man given to fits of hyperbole, has stated the evidence against Armstrong is 30 times worse than anything that;'s been out in the public domain so far.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tygart- ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

You left out some juicy stuff. Public hearing of Bruyneel USADA case - that could be interesting. And if Armstrong testifies ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tygart- ... estigation wrote:Tygart also revealed that Armstrong could be called to testify in the case against Johan Bruyneel, his former team manager still in charge of the RadioShack-Nissan squad. Facing important doping allegations, the Belgian has chosen to turn to USADA's Anti-Doping Review Board and be heard before the panel in the next couple of months.

"I don't know what Bruyneel is hoping for, he has everything to lose," Tygart continued. "He will be heard before the end of the year, and the hearing will be public. Lance Armstrong could be heard as a witness in this case, by the way. He would have to testify under oath, like the others. If there's perjury, it's serious..."

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Bruyneel isn't going to arbitration. First of all, he's not going to spend the requisite amount of money required to mount a legitimate defense. He doesn't have the type of money Armstrong does.

Second of all, his strategy is to string his current team along because he wants to keep getting his monthly pay packet for as long as possible. If he had decided not to fight the charges, he'd be out of a job effective immediately after he had to give the USADA his decision.

Expect Hincapie to corroborate the sale of cycling equipment to fund the drug program, the international trafficking of PED's and rider pressure/intimidation to dope from Armstrong, Bruyneel and Dr. del Moral.

Also expect both ex-wife Kirsten Armstrong and Sheryl Crow to corroborate the storage of steroids and blood bags in the Girona apartment.

Playtime's over. You guys wanted evidence, you're going to get it.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Did the USADA get to see/use the DOJ evidence that was collated before some random senator/govenor closed the case unilaterally?

Quite why a politician should have any power over a criminal investigation is beyond me. Although I guess it's worked for Berlusconi for a long time now!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tygart- ... estigation wrote:The American <Tygart> continued by explaining that USADA did not receive any information from the federal investigation into Armstrong's former team, US Postal, even though this had initially been planned. The fraud investigation was filed last February.

swinter

by swinter

that was surprising to me too, that USADA didn't get any of the criminal investigation files.

the answer to bikewithnoname's question is that, in a democracy, the decision to prosecute should always be made by a politically accountable figure. it's true that, when a politician makes a call such as this, the power can be abused. but that is exactly why the decision maker should be politically accountable.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nah, I'm more of a separate church, state and judiciary kind a guy, makes things a lot cleaner, call me old fashioned if you like!

Odd there was no cooperation though
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

swinter

by swinter

bikewithnoname wrote:Nah, I'm more of a separate church, state and judiciary kind a guy, makes things a lot cleaner, call me old fashioned if you like!

not really old-fashioned at all. more new age right wing.

that's not how the whole thing was set up 2+ centuries ago. (don't listen to the Tea Party; they know nothing about our constitutional history.)
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Actually I'm British, the only Tea party I know about was in Boston when we got our asses kicked!

Here only the PM and Home Secretary can legally overrule the judiciary in the UK (at least publicly, i'm sure plenty goes on behind the scenes though)

Anyway, it certainly looks like the Lance saga is finally going to get some clarity in the coming weeks

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

swinter wrote:that was surprising to me too, that USADA didn't get any of the criminal investigation files.

the answer to bikewithnoname's question is that, in a democracy, the decision to prosecute should always be made by a politically accountable figure. it's true that, when a politician makes a call such as this, the power can be abused. but that is exactly why the decision maker should be politically accountable.

It doesn't really matter that USADA didn't get access to testimony from the FDA. When whoever USADA questions under oath gives an answer the sword of damocles hangs over head in the form of a perjury charge from the Feds. So when they ask Hincapie if he ever took dope and he gives an answer, under oath, different than what he told the Fed's they'll have no choice but to come knock on his Greenville door. The same goes for anyone else who gave testimony to the Feds.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

swinter

by swinter

bikewithnoname wrote:Actually I'm British, the only Tea party I know about was in Boston when we got our asses kicked!

all the more reason that you should see why the separate judiciary thing is a bad idea. UK doesn't have the same history of judicial review that we have (that we invented), which has proved so anti-democratic (e.g., Citizens United).

that original tea party was a great thing. very anti-consumerist.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

HammerTime2 wrote:You left out some juicy stuff. Public hearing of Bruyneel USADA case - that could be interesting. And if Armstrong testifies ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tygart- ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:Tygart also revealed that Armstrong could be called to testify in the case against Johan Bruyneel, his former team manager still in charge of the RadioShack-Nissan squad. Facing important doping allegations, the Belgian has chosen to turn to USADA's Anti-Doping Review Board and be heard before the panel in the next couple of months.

"I don't know what Bruyneel is hoping for, he has everything to lose," Tygart continued. "He will be heard before the end of the year, and the hearing will be public. Lance Armstrong could be heard as a witness in this case, by the way. He would have to testify under oath, like the others. If there's perjury, it's serious..."

Actually, could they charge him with perjury? He is guilty in the eyes of the USADA, but not the US law. A good lawyer could make that distinction and make the charges dropped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com