HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 11
Wondering if anyone out there experiences a somewhat annoying noise from the FSA SL-K Light Crankset? Not creaking or anything like that, but excessive chain noise (not rubbing the fd either). Mine, on a Supersix Ultegra with a Shima chain, seems to make some amplified chain noise in rhythm to cadence. Most chain lubes don't do much for it. A fresh dousing with Chain-L helps for a bit, then it comes back quickly. My best guess is that it sounds like the chain may be skating from side to side on the chainring under force of pedal strokes? I have not experience anything like this on my CAAD10 with either an FSA Gossamer or Sram Force crank. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm
Posts: 1365
Check your chain is not worn. Chainring bolts could be loose i.e. flex in your chainring. Check your jockey wheels are ok .


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 11
artray wrote:
Check your chain is not worn. Chainring bolts could be loose i.e. flex in your chainring. Check your jockey wheels are ok .


Checked the chainring bolts, and all are torqued properly. Haven't measured the chain, but this issue has been around since the bike was new to now, probably not even 1000 mi yet. I'll check out the jockey wheels in a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am
Posts: 417
Location: Switzerland
mvz2 wrote:
Wondering if anyone out there experiences a somewhat annoying noise from the FSA SL-K Light Crankset? Not creaking or anything like that, but excessive chain noise (not rubbing the fd either). Mine, on a Supersix Ultegra with a Shima chain, seems to make some amplified chain noise in rhythm to cadence. Most chain lubes don't do much for it. A fresh dousing with Chain-L helps for a bit, then it comes back quickly. My best guess is that it sounds like the chain may be skating from side to side on the chainring under force of pedal strokes? I have not experience anything like this on my CAAD10 with either an FSA Gossamer or Sram Force crank. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience.


exactly my experience.

slighlty different tooth profile ? sub-optimal production finish ? difficult to say

i was thinking it would go away once worn in, but not so

your thought re the chain skating from side to side suggests the ring, or at least the teeth are narrower (11 speed compatible ?)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 11
GT56 wrote:
exactly my experience.

slighlty different tooth profile ? sub-optimal production finish ? difficult to say

i was thinking it would go away once worn in, but not so

your thought re the chain skating from side to side suggests the ring, or at least the teeth are narrower (11 speed compatible ?)


Thanks for the reply. I've been worried it's just the way the teeth and ring are shaped and that the chain may be able to move around a bit. I've got not complaints about the crank flexing or otherwise really. Wonder if a different chain (less likely probably) or different rings may actually help?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm
Posts: 1365
Do you get the noise when in your small ring? Try a different chainring. Try a different chain. You just have to work it out logically and you will solve the issue .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 11
artray wrote:
Do you get the noise when in your small ring? Try a different chainring. Try a different chain. You just have to work it out logically and you will solve the issue .


No such noise in the small ring.

Just hoping to tap the collective knowledge so I may not have to spend the money on and time on trial and error replacements with no certain outcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 am
Posts: 48
I found while working on a series of FSA chainrings and crank set ups that the process FSA uses to machine their rings leaves too sharp of an edge just below the teeth themselves. This sharp edge where the chain rests could be smoothed out with a wire wheel and a bit of time. After that 90 degree edge was knocked off chains rode better and chain suck went away entirely (which was the reason for my work with them). Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:21 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amerikon, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], russianbear, simonind and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. AEST light weight crankset

in Road

yumseyo

7

1789

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm

yumseyo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Light weight campag 11sp chain/cassette options.

in Road

stevebax

10

479

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:01 am

NiFTY View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Chain catching on the inside of chainring bolt, chain suck

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

sedluk

15

727

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:04 pm

ricks123 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Specialized Shiv noise

in Road

PuroScattista

8

619

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 am

thisisatest View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Helmet Wind Noise?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

SolidSnake03

29

2352

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 pm

PuroScattista View the latest post


It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB