FSA SL-K Light Crankset/Chain Noise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvz2

by mvz2

Wondering if anyone out there experiences a somewhat annoying noise from the FSA SL-K Light Crankset? Not creaking or anything like that, but excessive chain noise (not rubbing the fd either). Mine, on a Supersix Ultegra with a Shima chain, seems to make some amplified chain noise in rhythm to cadence. Most chain lubes don't do much for it. A fresh dousing with Chain-L helps for a bit, then it comes back quickly. My best guess is that it sounds like the chain may be skating from side to side on the chainring under force of pedal strokes? I have not experience anything like this on my CAAD10 with either an FSA Gossamer or Sram Force crank. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

Check your chain is not worn. Chainring bolts could be loose i.e. flex in your chainring. Check your jockey wheels are ok .

mvz2

by mvz2

artray wrote:Check your chain is not worn. Chainring bolts could be loose i.e. flex in your chainring. Check your jockey wheels are ok .

Checked the chainring bolts, and all are torqued properly. Haven't measured the chain, but this issue has been around since the bike was new to now, probably not even 1000 mi yet. I'll check out the jockey wheels in a bit.

GT56

by GT56

mvz2 wrote:Wondering if anyone out there experiences a somewhat annoying noise from the FSA SL-K Light Crankset? Not creaking or anything like that, but excessive chain noise (not rubbing the fd either). Mine, on a Supersix Ultegra with a Shima chain, seems to make some amplified chain noise in rhythm to cadence. Most chain lubes don't do much for it. A fresh dousing with Chain-L helps for a bit, then it comes back quickly. My best guess is that it sounds like the chain may be skating from side to side on the chainring under force of pedal strokes? I have not experience anything like this on my CAAD10 with either an FSA Gossamer or Sram Force crank. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experience.

exactly my experience.

slighlty different tooth profile ? sub-optimal production finish ? difficult to say

i was thinking it would go away once worn in, but not so

your thought re the chain skating from side to side suggests the ring, or at least the teeth are narrower (11 speed compatible ?)

mvz2

by mvz2

GT56 wrote:exactly my experience.

slighlty different tooth profile ? sub-optimal production finish ? difficult to say

i was thinking it would go away once worn in, but not so

your thought re the chain skating from side to side suggests the ring, or at least the teeth are narrower (11 speed compatible ?)

Thanks for the reply. I've been worried it's just the way the teeth and ring are shaped and that the chain may be able to move around a bit. I've got not complaints about the crank flexing or otherwise really. Wonder if a different chain (less likely probably) or different rings may actually help?

artray

by artray

Do you get the noise when in your small ring? Try a different chainring. Try a different chain. You just have to work it out logically and you will solve the issue .

mvz2

by mvz2

artray wrote:Do you get the noise when in your small ring? Try a different chainring. Try a different chain. You just have to work it out logically and you will solve the issue .

No such noise in the small ring.

Just hoping to tap the collective knowledge so I may not have to spend the money on and time on trial and error replacements with no certain outcome.

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

I found while working on a series of FSA chainrings and crank set ups that the process FSA uses to machine their rings leaves too sharp of an edge just below the teeth themselves. This sharp edge where the chain rests could be smoothed out with a wire wheel and a bit of time. After that 90 degree edge was knocked off chains rode better and chain suck went away entirely (which was the reason for my work with them). Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com