Did you start cycling to recover you knees?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qeaou

by qeaou

Initially I thought it was just me (if the general category of the thread is incorrect let me know)

started cycling after serious teenage knee injury during snowboarding and then mid-20's injury in kickboxing,
a decade later, I could not continue running or even jogging.
After a few years of cycling, I can run again, and pretty much don't feel any residual pain from past conditions,
including torn meniscus, ligament tears, or even patellar pain during running.

I did experience however, that many cyclists who started later like me, went for this (the most amazing and addictive sport) after very similar injuries, and had similar experiences.

Are you one of them?
if so, what have been your experiences?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Both of mine are screwed.

ACL rehab was what pushed me headlong in to it.

Not sure what else there really is to say?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Rehab after PCL reconstruction got me addicted to cycling...

motorthings

by motorthings

after 5 knee surgeries (mtb, motorcycle road racing, offroad motorcycle racing, and running), i found road cycling again. my knee doc told me to stop running, and informed me that cycling was "the graveyard of athletes". i had always used cycling as training for motorsports, and a recumbent exercise bike for recovery from my surgeries, but had not been on a roadbike in 25 years (since i got my first motorcycle in high school and sold my univega 10 speed).

road biking has been the greatest exercise in the world for me, and I keep getting stronger each year. :thumbup:

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

Cycling destroyed my knee in a crash. I then used cyclingto re-hab it. There's some irony in there!

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

High cadence - low load cycling helped alleviate my knee problem -- with the correct pedals!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Haha this is why I ride as well! Shredded my knees doing downhill skiing, cross country and track in high school; started riding to lose some freshman first semester weight since I couldn't run. Two years later and I'm 20 lbs lighter and 100x fitter than I ever was as a runner and have very little knee pain.

Also I crashed quite hard in a race a few weeks ago and had somewhat of a knee injury; from my knee cap slamming into the ground at 25 mph. I just kept riding at a high cadence for a few weeks and my knee healed amazingly and I was still able to enjoy my exercise, which is something I don't think could be said for running. Bikes are amazing!

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

No, but I've sprained both of my ankles wrestling. I only really feel them when out of the saddle climbing for 3+ minutes.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Had a damaged meniscus on my right knee resultant from a football injury while I was just 11. Carried the injury not knowing better until I was into my 20's. Recurring pain from inflammation as a result fluid accumulation forced me to give up regular mileage running.

Took up cycling as I always liked it as a kid ... Been at it for almost 2 decades/ :beerchug:

I've not pushed the knee hard enough over the years to have recurring problems. But over the years, the creaking I experienced back then has definitely not been so obvious. At least I don't suffer from the infamous "knee wobbles" that many have with a damaged knee anymore.

Not sure if its the joint recovering or is it just that the muscles developed from cycling have helped to reinforce the joint.

LouisN

by LouisN

I was suggested cycling by my orthopedist after a meniscus surgery at age 14.
I was told I had "loose articulation" syndrome (don't know the scientific name of this :noidea: ). And that cycling would help to strenghten my knee and ankle area.
I don't if it comes from all the sports I did as a child. Not the best choice for the knees I suppose: Breast stroke specialty as a swimmer, athletics triple jump, sprinting and soccer in the summer, and downhill ski racing in the winter.

I know as soon as I stop cycling for a moment, the knees start to hurt...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bingomck

by Bingomck

Tore my ACL, MCL and meniscus first play of first round of playoffs my senior year of college in lacrosse. Had surgery, and within 4 months I bought my first road bike on Craigslist (an Aegis). I don't run anymore, but I've never had any issues with my knee cycling. Love it.