Long awaited Dura Ace 9000 C24 wheels - first look and feel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

plpete

by plpete

qeaou wrote:I do have a distinct impression that rolling resistance is much lower than previous few sets of wheels.

This could be Shimano cup and cone bearings at work. They perform very well under load and last very long as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

qeaou wrote:you don't need to quote the above post!

Unfortunately never had the pleasure to ride the 7900 series, shame.
Got the 9000 after a series of recommendations of DA C24 as the best allrounders in this price category,
I wish there was someone adding to this thread who actually tested both.
I do have a distinct impression that rolling resistance is much lower than previous few sets of wheels.

(additional 50km test riding on a route I did 20+ times, I was able to beat most sections,
same conditions, same form, same weather etc and not really pushing it too hard... so I guess this is a promising)

I absolutely love the skewers for firm and easy dismantling of front wheel,
I still have not weighed them - I hope that someone online will)

Let me answer this for you:

1. No the 9000 series is not a lower rolling resistance wheel bearing or any other magic mumbo jumbo compared to 7900 or 7800 wheels.
2. The "feeling" that they roll better is in your head, or more related to rubber and tire pressure than the wheels.
3. You are excited about your new wheels and riding harder. The wheels are NOT faster, but you may be with them.

Your performance improvement is psychologically motivated, not due to improved technology. Nonetheless they are fine wheels.

horse

by horse

+1, 7800/7900 all used cup and ball bearings. Shimano use these in all their hubs, bearings and pedals. Except perhaps the later BB and sealed jockey wheels. If you remove the seals, all Shimano bearings spin with minimal resistance. But with the seals on you can't tell the difference even if there's an improvement made in the bearing surface treatment or lubrication compound used.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

4. Different road surface.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

airwise

by airwise

I love DA wheels but damn have the sidewalls been flimsy on past C24's.

Will these stand up any better. Are they still the same alloy?

qeaou

by qeaou

reggiebaseball wrote:
qeaou wrote:you don't need to quote the above post!

Unfortunately never had the pleasure to ride the 7900 series, shame.
Got the 9000 after a series of recommendations of DA C24 as the best allrounders in this price category,
I wish there was someone adding to this thread who actually tested both.
I do have a distinct impression that rolling resistance is much lower than previous few sets of wheels.

(additional 50km test riding on a route I did 20+ times, I was able to beat most sections,
same conditions, same form, same weather etc and not really pushing it too hard... so I guess this is a promising)

I absolutely love the skewers for firm and easy dismantling of front wheel,
I still have not weighed them - I hope that someone online will)

Let me answer this for you:

1. No the 9000 series is not a lower rolling resistance wheel bearing or any other magic mumbo jumbo compared to 7900 or 7800 wheels.
2. The "feeling" that they roll better is in your head, or more related to rubber and tire pressure than the wheels.
3. You are excited about your new wheels and riding harder. The wheels are NOT faster, but you may be with them.

Your performance improvement is psychologically motivated, not due to improved technology. Nonetheless they are fine wheels.

I am sure you are right mate!
(as mentioned before, I never rode 7900, so my comparison is just to previous wheels, not DA's)
but overall, sure, it must be in my head :)

Horacio

by Horacio

Any updates regarding these wheels?

mrfish

by mrfish

Just to chime in on these wheels, if like me you are happy to save a few $ by running latest technology circa 2010, or you are upgrading a mid range bike, then the 7900 wheels are a great bargain. I got the 7900 version earlier this year for around EUR 500 and they're now available for less on google.de shopping.

At this price I use them for commuting, something I would not consider with Boras! Also handbuilt wheels at this price point just can't compete. At this price you're paying for the hubs and getting the spokes, rim and build for free.

Horacio

by Horacio

Does anyone think with the absence of the opti-bal in the C24, make it sort of a flexible wheel? I'm kind of a high power guy and do a lot of climbing. I'm not sure if these wheels will suit me. I'm seeking a nice light, stiff wheel.

sawyer

by sawyer

Horacio wrote:Does anyone think with the absence of the opti-bal in the C24, make it sort of a flexible wheel? I'm kind of a high power guy and do a lot of climbing. I'm not sure if these wheels will suit me. I'm seeking a nice light, stiff wheel.

They are not particularly stiff, but aren't noodles either. Sounds like you might want something else.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

qeaou

by qeaou

This might be not "scientifically justified" haha,
But with the DA 9000 I am always getting a feeling my tire pressure is not where I want it,
and it seems to lose pressure faster.
Now obviously, the first thing you look at is actual tires and tubes,
(using GP4000s and Specialized tubes)
getting pressure to 110,
(but as in previous wheels I could not really press my finger against the tires, in the new ones i can definitely push against the tire (or tyre however we write it)

but the question is, would this be because of slightly wider rims?
or just an illusion?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Wider rims mean a larger internal area in the tire. When you push on the tire it is easier for the air you displace to find other places to go. In other words, wider rim, all things else being equal, equals softer ride and lower rolling resistance.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

mann2

by mann2

I had the 7850 C24's and now the 9000's both in tubeless. Honestly, i cant feel the difference between them.

Fitzroy

by Fitzroy

A lot of threads on this but has anyone got any real world experience to post up (can't find any so please link to if there are some).

Specifically after anyone around 85kgs, 185lbs, riding a set 10 speed (SRAM red). Notice any flex? Would they suit me? Ride mainly flat rolling hills all weather. Can get a new set for 790AUD delivered. If I can get three years solid use with little problem it would be a good investment.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107261&hilit=9000+c24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly if you plan on riding 10 speed for a while I would search for a good/better deal on the 7900 c24 if you can get them any cheaper, basically the same wheelset. At 85 kg you will probably notice a little flex with most factory wheelsets out there, including this one. Dura Ace hubs are known for their long life with little service needed. So yes they are a good wheelset. If stiffness is one of your main concerns I would advise to build up a custom set of wheels. You could probably get a nice set for around the same price.