Speedplay... play?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valy

by Valy

I've used Speedplay pedals for about 1.5 years now and have been very happy with them and the level of adjustment they allow - have not had any problems to speak of.

I've crashed and damaged one of the pedals, so got new ones under insurance and they are the same model (stainless) with the same old shoes which have not been damaged btw. What is driving me insane though is a bit of play on the left side only. If I try to tilt my left shoe using pedal as the lever there is a bit of lift and the same does not happen on the right side

I have moved the cleats further back a few months ago and maybe the surface of the shoe is not as flat there as it is at the front. I tried to use the a shim to level the cleat as before it was slightly twisted if you look along the shoe, but even with it being pretty much straight, there is still more play vs the right side. I have not overtightened the 4 screws either - the same on both sides and with previous cleats I had them much tighter without any problems as I did not know that you only need to snug them. This play has been there for a while and I don't remember having it with the old pedals. Also the float is a bit sticky at one end on the left side if I back of the limit screws compared to my usual position and the right side is even without sticking no matter how far the limit screws are set.

So when I pedal, there is a bit of movement on the left shoe/pedal - drives me crazy. The only solution I can think of is to try and level out the adapter plate and shoes sole further, but even then I don't understand why it's happening now because before I had both sides similarly twisted when they were more to the front of the shoe and did not have these problems? I don't think it's worth playing around with shims as you have y AND x to worry about then. I guess the only real solution is to get Speedplay specific shoes at some point and try and make do with SPD-SLs for the time being.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
:(

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yes, many folks have experienced the dreaded SPlay rock! Do a search on this and any other bike related forum and I have no doubt you will read about it.

Can't help you with solutions other than advising you to change your cleats or, better yet, try a different pedal system. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but there it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

Oh wow, never considered it may be a widespread issue. Will take a look for sure, thanks!

As for a different pedal system - I just bought Shimano 105 SPD-SL again. Had them very briefly before the Speedplays.

Because of the more isolated adjustment that Speedplays allow vs other pedals I was able to get a pretty good idea of how I need the cleat to be and having just installed the Shimano cleats they seem pretty good! :thumbup:

fio
in the industry

by fio

I sold my Speedplays for that exact same issue. Got sick of messing around with the cleats and started to realize how unstable the were, rocking back and forth (float was not the issue). I've since gotten Looks and have been much happier. Way simpler, more durable cleat design that isn't a pain to adjust and swap between shoes.

I did like the ability to really dial in the fit though, and they did ride pretty well until the cleats deteriorated. I just don't feel the need to pay for a new pair of cleats every few months...

Valy

by Valy

Totally get what you mean. Before I crashed and had to get new pedals I was pretty happy with them due the ease of adjustability and found it super easy to overlook the little maintenance you gotta do and never had any problems with rocking or stability. But recently I just could not get them right on the new pedals - whatever it is, I definitely did not have that rocking on the other pedals and I tried old cleats and new ones - same. The surprising thing is, the new pedals are much less worn than the old ones!

Either way, I've had a good run with them and may return with speedplay specific shoes, but is a bit of a gamble if I run into these problems again!

Just did a short ride on the SPD-SLs and wow the feeling of your shoe being completely in contact all the time, not a hint of movement... eases my mind! :) I just really hope the position will be okay after a longer ride, cos if I start fiddling with positions there will never be an end to it!

ECT

by ECT

How old are your cleats? I'm running X-Series pedals, and the first part of the cleat to wear out around the 7000 kilometer mark is near the two springs used for retention, they grind a slot into the aluminum spring housing plate resulting in play similar to what you describe.

Valy

by Valy

ECT wrote:How old are your cleats? I'm running X-Series pedals, and the first part of the cleat to wear out around the 7000 kilometer mark is near the two springs used for retention, they grind a slot into the aluminum spring housing plate resulting in play similar to what you describe.

Well, SOB!

Just to be sure, I checked the two pairs of cleats and... the left retaining plates both have little groves in them - at the back of cleat and opposite side to the float adjuster where as both right cleats are much more even! They are not massive, but there is a definite different from left to right.

What makes me wonder though, is that with the new pedals I initially used them with old cleats for a bit (~200-250kms) and noticed that play. Then I installed new cleats and the play was still there - the pedals have not been worn by the old cleats or anything like that.

It may have something to do with bringing the shoe closer the the BB as well as moving the cleats further back a bit a couple of moths ago. I do think though that the sole of my shoe is not quite level on the left side as even the float on SPD-SL cleats is a bit different from left to right - but knowing me I could just be imagining. Shoes are Spech Pro 2010 btw.

Thanks for that ECT - I have sort of noticed the groves before but did not pay much attention to them. I also checked previous sets of cleats and they don't have the grove as bad as the above two cleats.

I will stick with the 105s for the time being and see how they go, but I think SP specific shoes are on the cards if I am to use them again.

Boardman

by Boardman

Did either of you use the carbon sole protector plates and the cafe stop covers?

fio
in the industry

by fio

Boardman wrote:Did either of you use the carbon sole protector plates and the cafe stop covers?

I used both. Although I wasn't a perfect user of the cafe covers, didn't always feel like putting them on for the 3-4 steps that I'd take on concrete outside of my apartment. Plus they were a bit bulky and took up room in the pockets.

Carbon sole protector was a good purchase for my Speedplay specific DMTs though. I liked Speedplays best with those shoes...not so much with others.

Valy

by Valy

Yeah I used the sole protector when I had aluminium extender plates, but I then changed to plastic adapter plates and did not have above problems without them - I think it's down to the left shoe not having an even surface and maybe the repositioning of cleats. I used the cafe covers pretty much anytime I stepped off the bike - though how would that have anything to do with the rocking?

ECT

by ECT

I also used the sole protector plates in addition to the plastic base plates, but I don't think either that or the cleat covers would help with the wear I described.

Rick

by Rick

I'm a long-time speedplay user who just switched to Dura Ace. Described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93786&start=15

I have only been on the a couple weeks now. I like the solid, stable interface, but I do miss the speedplay float and ease of engagement.
Speedplays do develop a little play. For some people it seems to wear faster than others. For me it was never a big problem....mostly just psychological irritation. I am sure it was never enough to actually influence my power output. Still, it was slightly annoying and I like the DA.

Valy

by Valy

QfMFT Rick! (but not quoted since here it is frowned upon)

Yesterday went for a 45km ride with the 105s and the stability is quite awesome - when sprinting it just feels so solid!

Boardman

by Boardman

The wear is supposed to be on the plastic part of the pedal body?

The shop I bought my Speedplays recommended use of the carbon sole protectors and the cafe covers religiously.

So I was told, without using the carbons sole protectors, the pedal bodies wear away the plastic 3 hole adaptor.

Touch wood, mine have been fine.

kac

by kac

Curious. I had the same problem with the left pedal (Zero) only. That was especially perplexing to me because I clip/unclip on the right. I replaced the cleats and...no change. I assume that some sort of asymmetric wear of the pedal platform was responsible until I read that rocking was a very common problem with Speedplays. Since the rocking was so annoying, I switched to Look. Single-sided entry is an issue for me, but the platform is more stable.

KAC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com