What tires do you train/race on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ECT

by ECT

Conti GP4000s clinchers with latex tubes for training; I can get about 4800 k's for the rear and they do not seem to flat, and Bontrager XXX Lites (Made by Vittoria) for racing; They seem to wear well, have a nice ride and are fairly puncture resistant, but as others have remarked about Vittoria tires, they have no grip in the wet. I did a wet criterium this summer running 75-85 psi, and still slipped and slid around the entire course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Conti Competition 25mm tubular on my HED Stinger and Conti Sprinter 22mm on my Boras two.
I only ride Tubulars and haven't had a single flat on the road and I probably have done about 60.000 miles on Continentals.

borja

by borja

training: Tufo S3Lite
racing: Tufo S3Lite , Tufo Elite ride 23, Continental Competiton, schwalbe ultremo HT

all tubulars.

Shwalbe is the best for cornering and feel, but leaks air and can get a flat quickly

Conti is very comfortable but build quality should be better (they never run straight). Gets worn out quickly in hot weather (35deg summer...). Good all-rounnd tire but its not for long.

Tufo s3Lite is the lightest, fastest, run very straight and very resistive to defects. But they are not as comfortable.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

ECT wrote:they have no grip in the wet.

I have a hunch they are equivalent to the CX version of the Open Corsa. I have done some research on this recently and tried the Open Corsa SC and have had much better wet weather traction. The Pave's are also superior in wet conditions IMHO.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Veloflex carbons and some times extremes up front depending what's in the aged collection..
Life's way to short to run shitty tires racing or training. If you can afford $10000-20000 to spend on a push bike then why start cutting corners with your tires.. They are after all the only thing keeping the dam thing upright :roll:

ECT

by ECT

btompkins0112 wrote:

I have a hunch they are equivalent to the CX version of the Open Corsa. I have done some research on this recently and tried the Open Corsa SC and have had much better wet weather traction. The Pave's are also superior in wet conditions IMHO.

Thats the exact model I want to try next, but I thought they were coming out with a black sidewall version? I've looked around and don't see any.

Murphs

by Murphs

Training clincher: Schwalbe Durano
Racing clincher: Veloflex Corsa
Racing Tubs: Kenda Volare (rebadged Challenge criterium I am told)

Veloflex Carbon hanging up ready to be used next

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

ECT wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:

Thats the exact model I want to try next, but I thought they were coming out with a black sidewall version? I've looked around and don't see any.

I'd try Pave as well but the green is not my thing :?
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

I have been training and racing on the same tires.

I am 200lbs and use the wider rim HED. wheels. Previously, I rode on Continental GP4000s at 100 psi front and 110 psi rear and would diligently pumped the tires before every ride and would clean and check them after every ride. I also use the Vittoria Ultralight Butyl inner tubes. I had good luck with them, rarely flatted (only due to glass shards) and they last reasonably long - 3000+ miles. I ride mainly in dry conditions but occasionally on wet roads. I ride everywhere, from decent city highway roads to backcountry roads in Thailand.

Then, following my lbs suggestion when they were available, I put on the limited edition Continental GP TT tires and was very happy. They had very low rolling resistance and felt very supple, compared to the GP4000s, but they were also more fragile. The tires would occasionally get cuts and nicks but no flats. Finally, after about 1600 miles, I got a flat from a glass shard on the front tire and then, subsequently, I got a slow leak on the back tire. Upon inspection of the inner tube, I found that the leak was due to an old nick in the tire that had worn through and allowed the road gravel to rub the inner tube = time for a replacement.

I just put on the Vittoria Open Pave CG tire yesterday and we'll see how it rides and for how long.

The next tires that I want to try are the Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires but I have read they are really fragile - but probably not more so than the Continental GP TT tires. I will probably also try the Vittoria Latex inner tubes next.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Training/wet bike
Conti Gatorskins (clincher)

Good bike race wheels (deep carbon)
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular

Good bike other wheels (32h Reflex rims for windy/wet races or training on good bike)
About to get rid of the CX and try something new, probably Veloflex Carbons
CX grip well but they wear and puncture a fair bit, depending on how the Carbon's go I will most likely put Extremes on the Race wheels when they are due.

CBRE

by CBRE

Veloflex Carbon rear, Extreme front on all three sets of wheels, no flats no issues.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

wasabi1

by wasabi1

GP4000s, training.

Sprinter, racing.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Training- Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless- 1 slow flat is all I can remember from the past 2 years, can run them low pressure in the rain w/out any issues.

Summer training/Rainy racing- Conti Sprinter Gatorskin 22 tub (I hear a 25 is coming, can't wait)- great traction in the wet, for some reason I find them more supple than Competitions, go figure :noidea:

Summer racing- Vittoria Evo CX 23 tub- Though I also find they lack grip, but they do roll nice and comfy. Will probably try the SC's mentioned here if people really think they're that much better, otherwise I'll try and score a deal on some Veloflexes.

ttts2

by ttts2

Train on gp4000s. Race on the sometimes too but generally race tyre will depend very much on weather conditions....love the corsa cxray in the dry but not so much in the wet!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephenjames

by stephenjames

Had good results on the Schwalbe Ultremo Tubular this summer. Ran the 25mm as we have very bumpy roads here and they have held up really well. Very durable