Romin Pro vs Romin Pro EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I just picked up Romin Pro, but Im not sure if I can keep riding it, its too hard, the saddle is way better then my previous one for sure, relieves the pressure with the center channel for sure, but man, that thing is way to hard. I like to ride a bit on the forward position (3-4cm setback)
and am wondering if I should go with the 155 over the 143. The day of purchase, I got to the shop right before they closed and did the sit bones test with my jeans on, Im thinking that I should go back and do that with my bike shorts on and without rushing around due to closing. Did anyone here rode both of them? Should I go with the gel model? EVO?
I use Castelli shorts with the X2 pad.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

digitalnorbs wrote:I just picked up Romin Pro, but Im not sure if I can keep riding it, its too hard, the saddle is way better then my previous one for sure, relieves the pressure with the center channel for sure, but man, that thing is way to hard. I like to ride a bit on the forward position (3-4cm setback)
and am wondering if I should go with the 155 over the 143. The day of purchase, I got to the shop right before they closed and did the sit bones test with my jeans on, Im thinking that I should go back and do that with my bike shorts on and without rushing around due to closing. Did anyone here rode both of them? Should I go with the gel model? EVO?
I use Castelli shorts with the X2 pad.

thanks

In most cases with the guys I ride with (including myself) who normally ride a 143 have found the Romin 155 a much better fit. The EVO has a thinner and lower/dropped nose vs. the Romin. Padding should be the same.

critracer26

by critracer26

i have both and don't notice any difference in terms of stiffness. I find the non evo one more comfortable.

luckysix

by luckysix

I have both and I found the evo to be considerable softer. The shape is also a bit different. I personally found the original to be more comfortable for my sitbones.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thank you guys, I will go back and maybe bring my bike with me and do some tests on the trainer at the shop

Lemond75

by Lemond75

I recently switched to a Romin Evo after having a similar experience as you with the standard 143mm Romin. Really liked the lack of pressure on the wedding tackle but couldn't put up with the sit bone pain on long rides. After trying an Aliante, a Flite Max Team Edition and then a Prologo Scratch I decided to try another Romin as it seemed to offer the best potential if I could get around the sit bone pain.

I measured somewhere inbetween the 143 and 155 on the assometer so tried the wider 155 second time around and bought the gel version. Unfortunately this was the definition of an asshatchet so it had to go back.

Having recently bought a 143 Evo Pro I can say that it is far more comfortable that the standard Evo for me at least. I've not had the opportunity to do any long rides on it yet but it is the first saddle that I feel stabilises my pelvis and it also allows me to use the drops more than other saddles.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

how about the avatar, any one tried that one, I know its not a weight weenie, but to be comfortable, I will take 400 g saddle at this point, LOL

motorthings

by motorthings

i used the avatar as my first road saddle, and had no issues with it. moved on to the toupe, and no problems there either.

400miles

by 400miles

I had been riding the Romin Pro (143) for several months and loved it -- till the shell cracked. I was able to get a warranty replacement from my LBS, and the shop owner gave me the option to go with the EVO. I always thought the nose on the Romin just a tad too wide, and I often caught my shorts on the nose, so the slightly narrower drop-saddle appealed to me as well.

The extra padding was actually my main concern -- I didn't really feel like I needed it, as I liked the original Romin, and who needs extra weight? :D

The Romin EVO has a very noticeable amount of padding vs the rock-hard original. In addition, the shell of the EVO flexes a lot more than the original -- I'm hoping that the flexibility will mean it isn't as brittle and won't break.

After putting the EVO pro through a couple hard rides, I have to say that I'm very pleased. I still don't know if the extra padding is necessary, but the more flexible shell makes for a very smooth-feeling ride while still maintaining a very solid feeling of connection to the bike. I'd say that I feel even more connected, since road bumps and vibrations don't bounce me around as much.

This saddle works for me both right out on the nose during hard efforts and sitting farther back. For the way I ride, it's a good fit. We'll see if it lasts longer than the original Romin.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I just bought the Romin Evo Pro for my CAAD10. I am new to cycling so I tried a ton of saddles. The Evo was much better for me than the regular Romin. The nose is smaller and the padding is a little better on the front of the saddle. I find it's very easy to sit forward and ride in the drops for an extended period of time. Also very solid feeling when sitting back on the wider part too. I went with the 143 width as that one felt the best for me.

KWalker

by KWalker

I've used both extensively and dislike the Evo- too much padding and it doesn't plant my hips as well. Setup correctly, the nose on the Romin should not be an issue unless the rider has extremely narrow hips/hip functionality or hasn't corrected for arch collapse or rearfoot varus.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Having worked for Specialized, I know a bit about the Romin and Romin Evo.

The Romin Evo has a narrower nose and softer padding. Overall the fit should be the same as a Romin despite the different look ie if you ride a 143 Romin, then a 143 Romin Evo would be the go.

Both the Romin and Romin Evo (curved saddles) are however, effectively narrower than a Toupe or Avatar (flat saddles) so just because the ass-o-meter recommends a 143 saddle based on your sit bone width, doesn't mean that's the width you'll definitely need. I ride a 143mm Toupe and a 155 Romin Evo, my sit bones measure 118mm on the ass-o-meter. If your sit bones are over 120mm I'd highly recommend trying the 155 version of either Romin. I can explain further, but essentially the curved design of the Romin is more curved side to side as well as the front to back shape so while the outside widths are the same, the effective area you have to sit on is narrower on these curved saddles when compared to the flatter Toupe.

I to prefer the Evo as especially in the 155 width, the nose of the regular Romin felt intrusively wide. The softer padding feels nicer also.
Shut up legs and do what I tell you!

tmanley

by tmanley

I've got a few questions for you Romin Pro Evo riders. A few years ago I used to ride a Romin and then moved over to a Regale. I swung my a local shop and they let me take the new Evo model out for a spin (~2 hours). I really like the saddle, but given my seatpost couldn't handle the oversized carbon rails I had to go with just the standard Evo model. My only complaint was that the shell of the saddle was almost too flexy (I weigh 205lbs).

Here are my questions for those riding on the Pro model with the carbon rails. Do you find the shell of this saddle to be stiffer than non-Pro versions of the Romin Evo? Have you ever had the saddle bottom out when you hit some bumps and you can feel the shell hitting the top of the seatpost?

The local sales guy said the Pro model would be stiffer, but I'd rather get advice from this forum.

-Thanks, Todd

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

The pro is stiffer just get the right width. Used to ride a reagle for years now on the Ronin and will never go back

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

I test road the 155 and that worked best. I used to ride a 143 Romin a few years ago but I've grown to appreciate the wider Regale and the 155 Romin Evo I tried.