Domane 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

shinobiph

by shinobiph

greetings. my domane 6. love it.

full ultegra (soon to be di2)
prologo saddle
garmin 500 (with bontrager ant+ sesnsor)
blackburn cages
hed jet 5 wheels
dura ace pedals
incoming. shimano pro bars.

weight with everything for now is 7.65

20120908_171455.jpg

20120913_170025.jpg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

very nice! I'm thinking of getting a Domane some time next year. How's the ride? i demo'ed one about a month ago in Austin and really enjoyed the ride. Is there a reason why you are going away from the IsoSpeed handlebars? I put a set on my bike and they make a world of difference!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinobiph

by shinobiph

The ride is solid and smooth overall. Im coming off a pina fp due and the character and feel is completely different. I have yet to find something i dont like (other than the fact its a trek ;)

Isospeed may be a gimmick, etc. but if it gives me even a mental edge only thats fine. Im happy to sit in the saddle longer.

I never got the padded bars as i had the build done initially with rl bars to keep costs down. I like the pro bars and may try the integrated stem.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the quote, PP.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

hello all. i'm kinda new to cycling & don't know that much about bike [yet].

i've been upgrading my bike here and there. i have it down to 7.65kg with everything now.

would appreciate come guidance as to where i can save some weight/what i should upgrade next.

currently:
frame: 2013 trek domane 6
group: full ultregra
pedals: dura ace
wheels: HED jet 6
stem: bontrager XXX
bars: bontrager RL
saddle: prologo zero pas
cages: blackburn slick
computer: garmin 500 w/ bar fly

thanks in advance.

You can place these questions in Intro threads, rather than a new one on the Road forum. Otherwise search will help you greatly

Grill

by Grill

Wheels, saddle, bars, chainset...

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

what tire/tubes are you running? you can save a good chunk there probably
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

kevosinn wrote:what tire/tubes are you running? you can save a good chunk there probably

thanks. i have bontrager R3 tires on there. i just used the same ones that came with the stock wheels on the bike since they were still new.

any recommendations?

*the road are pretty bad where i am.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

they are claiming a weight of 190 grams thats pretty light already. I use the specialized turbo tubes that are around 70 grams and dont have any problems with them. you could save a good chunk of weight with some of the planet x cnc brakes and they are on sale for $95 bucks right now. Thats about a 100 gram saving. Also what budget are you working with?
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

ch1llg

by ch1llg

There are many places to shed weight. Seat post, cables, headset spacers, seat post clamp that wont break the bank. The Planet X brakes are a great deal. I am very tempted to order a pair myself!
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The short answer is... everything. There's nothing on your bike that's super light. Focus on easy $/g stuff like skewers, tubes, cables/housing, chain, and seatpost. Then find one component at a time to upgrade balls out as light as possible and move piece by piece. Big chunks can typically be saved in wheels, crank, saddle, cassette, and shifters. After that, you need to start looking at little details to shave of 10-30g at a time.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

thanks all.

i'll go ahead and get the brakes. thanks.

i wonder what a lighter cassette option is... dunno if the dura ace is compatible, or how much bang for the buck i'll get making the change.

saddle and wheels have already been upgraded, albeit maybe not the best choices in terms of weight.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Lightest cassette options are recon alloy/titanium cassettes. Omni racer and kcnc also have lightweight options. SRAM red is compatible as is dura ace, but are heavier but more durable than the options above.
Be careful with brakes, a number of these ultralight options compromise in terms of braking power. Search for madcow's brake shoot out on this forum or on fairwheel bike's cycling blog for an in depth comparison.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

visited shop last nite.

Changed out:

Tires
Envy bar and stem
QRings/rotor cranks.

Around $1,300 Should lose about 300grams off the bike.

Betters ww choices than thee rotor qrings? (Thy look mighty cool though)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

No point running QRings unless you really believe they work for you (and even in that case it might be a placebo; search around here for numerous discussions)

There are lighter, stiffer and equally good looking options around (Praxis chainrings seem to be the new cool stuff, for instance).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com