Pedals (Dura-Ace vs. Speedplay) ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Franklin

by Franklin

11.4 wrote:Many pro riders get fitted well and don't need float, so they like the abrupt feel with minimal float

A few remarks to blow this one out of the water

Profesional fitting is hugely overrated. A healthy, flexible person can get quite a good fit by eyeball, a ruler and commons sense. Also, having been fitted doesn't mean you don't need float :noidea:
Many pro's certainly aren't fitted professionally. Many young pro's are fitted by the mechanics (known pro trick is replacing spacers with smaller spacers to force the riders lower and lower) And they do fine being fitted this way :wink:
Many pro's have been riding float pedals with huge succes (Time etc.)

Rick

by Rick

It seems to me that the "pro" aspect is almost irrelevant to float issues. Some people's feet want to wag a little bit and some don't. Some people's knees will get sore without float....some people will feel better with float.
I can imagine pros gravitate towards higher release tension, just because they are typically stronger and going more "all out" than a typical cyclist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Do yourselves a favor!

http://www.keywinpedals.com/

I used Time for ten years and spd-sl for nine years, with a few months of SP Zeros in there too. Keywin are superior to them all.

by 11.4

Franklin wrote:
11.4 wrote:Many pro riders get fitted well and don't need float, so they like the abrupt feel with minimal float

A few remarks to blow this one out of the water

Profesional fitting is hugely overrated. A healthy, flexible person can get quite a good fit by eyeball, a ruler and commons sense. Also, having been fitted doesn't mean you don't need float :noidea:
Many pro's certainly aren't fitted professionally. Many young pro's are fitted by the mechanics (known pro trick is replacing spacers with smaller spacers to force the riders lower and lower) And they do fine being fitted this way :wink:
Many pro's have been riding float pedals with huge succes (Time etc.)

Ummm. Don't read what I said wrongly. First, I was addressing the point that the tension isn't higher on the track version, only more abrupt.

Second, some pros of course need float. But also many people ride with excess float simply because they haven't gotten the precise position such that they can choose to ride with less or no float if that otherwise suits them. Professionals typically have had to deal with fit -- one way or another -- as a necessity of coping with the amount they ride. Any number of teams including most of the large American ones do professional fittings at least to give their riders some help with how to handle various fit issues, including cleats. More Euro teams are doing the same. The old "fitted by the mechanics" is how it was entirely several years ago, but this is changing. It's simply more input and more effort to avoid the old Guimard knee problem that incapacitated many riders when they weren't being fitted as well.

The point of my response was that "many professional riders get fitted well" (I didn't say they have an orthopedist do it, so don't read that into my statement) and "many don't like float" (not all, so don't read that one in either) and they often want a more defined lockout point on the tension and thus use the track versions. That's all. Jeez.

Zitter

by Zitter

I ride dura ace pedals with the red cleats (zero float) and have had no problems at all. I like the immediate clip out and very secure feeling when sprinting/climbing. Also, with practice it's pretty easy to flip the pedals to the right angle to clip in on the first try. The cleats also last several thousand miles and require virtually no maintenance.