HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm 

Looks like I'm missing my annual end of summer biking holliday in Spain this year which means theres some money floating arround that's already spent on bikes in my mind.

Option 1:
Powertap G3 hub
+ use it anywhere
- not as usefull as SRM/Quark (but at £700 for the hub its less than £1500 for a chainset)

Option 2:
Indoor trainer that hooks upto a PC with virtual reality raceing software and power measurments etc.
+ more likely to be used than my current turbo which is less preferable than even riding in the rain, The gym has trixter 'x-bikes (or somethign like that) which let you race in a virtual reality race on the screen, even letting you shift up/down gears as you go up down hills! It also gives power data.
- can't be used outdoors. But then most of my riding on the road is either in groups (where the pace is set by someone else) or commuting (where the pace i set by how late I am!)

Does anyone here use something similar? Are they better for people like me who just can't stomach turbo sessions and would rather just go for a ride (but can't as it's pissing down with rain, dark and full of homicidal car drivers outside). Seems there's similar systems from not much more than a powertap hub to more than a new supersix evo with all the trimmings!

I'm not fit so any power measurement is a bit like taking a sit on lawnmower to a rolling road at the moment! This is firmly in the category of 'new toy' rather than serious training aid.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm 

you can try trainerroad.com
not a full-fledged simulator, but when combined with sufferfest videos, is one of the best boredom reducing strategies that doesn't cost a huge amount of money. i used it last winter and loved it, and will be using it again this winter (along with a lemond trainer - after trying it in the shop, i have to have one)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm 

That's interesting, especially as they list my minoura for the virtual power.

Is there anything out there that would combine something like that with a virtual reality race? Motivation to follow on screen intervals isn't my strong point (but throw in a competitor and a virtual hill and I'm on it like a car bonnet!)

[edit] just found the cyclops virtual trainer software which is exactly what i was thinking, £290! $10/month looks like a bargain!

[brain fart for any software engineers reading]
Combine that, with with a power test, then allow users to compete against each other in an online handicapped race? So Bradley Wiggins, Cav and Joe Blogs log in, their power profile get's handicapped so that they're all equal (i.e. they all have the same nominal threshold power, sprint etc), then the only way to win is to be better than your handicap, but Wiggins could out sprint Cav if he tried and Joe Blogs could out TT Brad if he digs a little deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 am 

Tacx Fortius and Computrainer. Both have the ability to display "real video" of a course which the trainer will then adjust resistance/drive according to terrain. Power readings reasonably accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm 

motorthings wrote:
you can try trainerroad.com
not a full-fledged simulator, but when combined with sufferfest videos, is one of the best boredom reducing strategies that doesn't cost a huge amount of money. i used it last winter and loved it, and will be using it again this winter (along with a lemond trainer - after trying it in the shop, i have to have one)

I used TrainerRoad last winter. Sometimes with Sufferfest vids, and for longer workouts I often just used the overlay mode and watched TV or YouTube vids.

I used the Garmin USB-ANT dongle to connect up my PowerTap, but I hear that the virtual power can also be pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:17 am 

I started using the virtualpower with a KK Road Machine, and for the first week it's seeming pretty good. Always in overlay mode for me though; resistance set by shifting and just watch Netflix. Not as nice as a Computrainer, but something like a quarter the price. Should be adequate to drag my sub-mediocre tri bike legs up to respectability.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:26 am 

The best one is the computrainer by far.

PS: mine is for sale, check out the classified :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm 

i had a computrainer very nice but very pricey i have a tacx fortuis and i like it very much. that being said im thinking of selling it. let me know if you have any questions regarding either. it really depends on what your looking for

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm 
Shop Owner

Elite Realaxiom and Realpower trainers......they offer all the options mentioned plus some extra ones like Conconi Test and Training evaluation that automatically programs 8 weeks of training based on your ability and desired results.