Long awaited Dura Ace 9000 C24 wheels - first look and feel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

sawyer wrote:Pleased you removed the misguided poll.

I did.

And lets keep this about the new Shimano wheels, we don't need another shootout thread.

madonna

by madonna

My pass experience with the DA C24 (7900) wasn't that good as the rear hub has got the effect of slipping paw. Imagine at times when you crank hard and it gave a "Clink" sound like the chain has missed the gear.

Overall I find that it is a very good wheelset at this price and will buy it again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petal666

by petal666

I thought the new wheels were going triplet lacing, that's gotta change how they ride, somewhat.
There is a guy on ebay Australia selling a set of 9000 C35 tubs, those are definitely triplet laced.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

I'm pretty sure there was a feature on Bikerumor a few months back concerning the 9000 series wheels, and it stated that the C24 was the only wheel in the new line NOT to receive the triplet lacing pattern (Opti-bal or somesuch in Shimanese).

"the new C24 wheels are the only ones that don’t get the OptBal lacing. They’re available in both clincher and Road Tubeless clincher."

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/

But I did think that the wider rim was universal within the line. Can anyone (OP, how's about it?) confirm this on an actual pair of 2013 C24 rims? The above article isn't clear with respect to which models receive which rim widths.

And I think Shimano dumped the red anodized spoke nipples in 2012 and merely carries the black accents into 2013.

-Tim

sawyer

by sawyer

qeaou wrote:That's only fair.
These wheels are not the top shelf.
I should have re-phrased the main thread to,
best allrounders in the $1000 category.

Unless someone knows better ones in that mark?

Also, I am curious,
what kind of wheels you have in mind, lighter stiffer, more area etc?
examples ?

cheers

For example Boras.

Lighter - yes about 140g lighter than C24s
Stiffer - yes
More aero - yes
Better handling - yes, they are tubs
Safer - yes, they are tubs.

Marginally tougher hubs IME also.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

sawyer wrote:... Safer - yes, they are tubs.

Tubs against clinchers never gets boring!
Oh wait ... it does

sawyer

by sawyer

wassertreter wrote:
sawyer wrote:... Safer - yes, they are tubs.

Tubs against clinchers never gets boring!
Oh wait ... it does

Only if people raise it without being asked. :wink:

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Wow, now we're shooting guys down because they had the gall to buy something inferior to... Boras?

I'm pretty sure the guiding notion behind this thread was to give an overview of a guy's new $1,000 multipurpose wheel, not dismiss it because it falls short of the top few factory-built race tubulars money can buy.

Maybe the OP didn't express the idea perfectly, but he did post impressions and photos of something real that he bought, and we should have more user-impression posts with photos of actual gear on the forum, not less. Even when flawed, user impressions are worth more than pontification about theoretical advantages, "what should I buy" hand-wringing, and hype about vaporware.

So... if we can get an internal rim measurement, weigh-in, and ride review in this thread, it would re-focus the discussion and answer some lingering questions about the 9000/C-24.

Will somebody step up to the plate? OP?

-Tim

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Boras are nice but as a allround wheels no where close to the DA's
As for the safer and better handling thats just rubbish. Stiffer and lighter, remind me how much more they cost.

sawyer

by sawyer

bikedoc wrote:Boras are nice but as a allround wheels no where close to the DA's
As for the safer and better handling thats just rubbish. Stiffer and lighter, remind me how much more they cost.

Sigh ... that a tub normally handles better and is safer in high speed punctures is not rubbish.

"Allround" better wheels ... only if your're "allround" is that limited.

sawyer

by sawyer

SpinnerTim wrote:Wow, now we're shooting guys down because they had the gall to buy something inferior to... Boras?

I'm pretty sure the guiding notion behind this thread was to give an overview of a guy's new $1,000 multipurpose wheel, not dismiss it because it falls short of the top few factory-built race tubulars money can buy.

Maybe the OP didn't express the idea perfectly, but he did post impressions and photos of something real that he bought, and we should have more user-impression posts with photos of actual gear on the forum, not less. Even when flawed, user impressions are worth more than pontification about theoretical advantages, "what should I buy" hand-wringing, and hype about vaporware.

So... if we can get an internal rim measurement, weigh-in, and ride review in this thread, it would re-focus the discussion and answer some lingering questions about the 9000/C-24.

Will somebody step up to the plate? OP?

-Tim

No, now we're responding to the question the OP posted.

Pleased the poll was removed as per my initial comment.

Agree with you re. ride impressions. If the individual has plenty of sensible reference points then there is value in that definitely.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Man.....thought this was a thread about the new C24s I was thinking of buying and all it turned out to be was Sawyers exhausting pontificating about damn Bora's that I don't want and don't care about......can we start the poor guy a Tub v. Clincher and a Campy v. Shimano thread so he'll go away?

plpete

by plpete

Anywho.... back to the topic... :thumbup: I own and ride the previous version of the C24 wheels (7900) and as far as the rim width goes here is what I noticed. They were definitely wider than my previous standard 19mm wide clinchers at just about 22mm in width, but not 23mm. I wonder if the new 9000 version of the wheels is exactly 23mm. Makes me want to pull the tire from the front wheel and remeasure.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have a set of the RS80 C24s and they are 22mm, if the 9000 are the same rim then they should be the same. Let us know what you find if you decide to re-measure!

:beerchug:

bikedoc

by bikedoc

i can think of a few situations where i wouldnt want to be on Bora's as nice as they are, I cant think of one where the DA's would be dangerous

trained with, won TT's, hill climbs and RR's on the DA's, not really limited

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com