Flat Pedal

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

start

by start

Hello everyone
After some experience with various spd pedal,
I decided I was interesting to ride with flat pedal.
I'd love to get recommendations for flat pedals that their weight is really low
But that will be comfortable to ride.
Thanks in advance

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I'd suggest ignoring the weight, flat pedals don't work very well if they're lightweight. Also don't forget the shoe. I prefer 5.10 freeriders as the sole is thinner than the impacts and they look less 'special', but the impacts are apparently stiffer and offer more protection. Other people don't like the crazy grip levels and prefer shoes like Teva Links (best in the wet as they dry quickly) or a bmx shoe from Vans/Etnies/DC/Element.

There're are 3 styles of pedal at the moment,

Thin:
The lightest I can think of are superstar ultra mags, 310g with steel axles and 260g with Ti. But magensium is seriously soft, clip a couple of rocks and you'll probably write them off (buriler pedals like the wellgo Mg1 won't fall apart, but you'll still rip pins out and ruin the pedal rather than bend/snap the pin like youd get in an aluminium bodies pedal). Plenty of aluminium alternatives arround 350-450g which will last much longer. DMR Vaults seem to be the best of the lot if you've got big feet, smaller feet the superstar nano's (or hundreds of other compnies re-branding out of the same factory) seem to be popular.

Ultra Thin:
These use some variation on external bearings or bodies which dont cover the axle, then there's really thin stuff like canfield crampons, or flypapers (require s a dedicated crank). There's stuff like the Da-Bomb Bare bones which are aluminiumb body and Cr-Mo axles and weigh about 350g. But like just about every other ultra thin pedal their durability is supect due to the tiny and often quite exposed bearings, I've got them and after 6 months intermittent use they're not as smooth as they were when new.

'Normal'
They're still a lot thinner than the days of the Wellgo MG-1 (not bad) and DMR V-12 (really crap by modern standards) which would roll over under your foot due to the small platform and high profile. But after I had a pair of Mk2 Burgtechs I'd not hesitate to get some Mk3's if I could justify the £150 price tag! Noth the thinnest by a long way, and at 500g, they're not light, but the grip levels are insane and they never seem to die.

The other option is plastic pedals. They seem to be getting more popular as you can make a normal sized pedal, under 300g, with propper sized bushings, for peanuts. The Nukeproof ones seem poular. Some are as bad/worse than those nasty ones that come with bikes though so read the reviews and get some with metal pins not moulded plastic ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gs15step

by gs15step

Nukeproof Electron.

SimonGoesSideways

by SimonGoesSideways

I was looking into this as well, but soon came to realise that the lighter you go, the more it affects durability, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

I plan to buy Superstar Nano's as they are cheap and perform well, and they aren't too heavy !
Aim : to get a 12.2kg Rockhopper down in the 10's !!

My sloooow weight loss project!

start

by start

Hello and thanks for your response
Does anyone have experience with this pedal http://www.ebay.com/itm/110735657869?ss ... 1438.l2649
Does it seem convenient, powerful enough for xc?
Thanks in advance

dwb

by dwb

How about BMX pedals? Some models are available with lighter polycarbonate bodies that easier on the shins. I prefer pedals like the Odyssey JC because they have a lot of concave and are comfortable with a soft soled shoe.

start

by start

Hello and thanks for your reply
How about that http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEST-PDA07-Tita ... 19d5146d0f ?
thanks

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

Looks tiny. 80x80mm is pretty small for a platform, pretty much all modern/good pedals are 100x100-105x105 at least. 5.10's/Teva's/Vans etc aren't carbon soled like SPD shoes, they flex so you can feel the pedals underfoot, small platforms are going to be uncomfortable unless you're wearing kiddy sized shoes.

Why do you need/want flat pedals? They work briliantly for some people, either if they're not confident offroad, knee injuries, riding downhill tracks or just often need to bail out in a hurry. I started using them after a knee injury which resulted from a Time ATAC pedal disengageing mid decent after clipping a rock and eventualy sending me off a drop not clipped in. The resultant injury meant I couldnt ride clipless for a while. I now ride clipless for XC and flats for DH/AM, but I'd probably fit SPD's for a race as they're far better for pedaling efficiently, the soles dont flex and there's less give, and it's possible to sprint in a higher gear which saves two or three shifts out of the start. I'm confident in either pedals, just pick whichever will suits the fast/fun ballance of that days ride.

Saving weight in flat pedals is a pointless task. The shoes are 2x the weight of SPD shoes (5.10 impacts are 1.1kg) so you're 500g+ worse off before you swap the pedals! Stick with a known quantity like Superstar Nano's in aluminium, anything lighter will be uncomfortable underfoot, magnesium will fall appart when the pins hit rocks, plastic pedals are supposed to be better than they were a few years ago but I've not tired the newest ones so can't comment.

p.s. what shoes do you have? I'd not recomend anything other than dedicated cycling flat pedal shoes, I started with trainers and aproach style walking shoes, neither were anything like as good as even generic skate shoes, and 5.10's are a class above them again.

start

by start

Hello and thanks for the answers.
Sorry for the delay in my answer.
The reason that I want
Pedal flat is because once crashed and that was enough for me ...
I am looking for a flat pedal but mine weigh 300 grams ... Everyone ...

BmanX

by BmanX

I am still rocking out a pair of 1985 Shimano DX pedals that I had on my BMX when I was a kid. The best platform pedal I have ever used. That being said, I would suggest the KCNC KNIFE pedals which you can still pick up for pretty cheap. 140g a pair of the ti but again they are on the small side.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I am looking for a flat pedal but mine weigh 300 grams ... Everyone ...

Well they exist, but relative to the 500g extra 5.10/Teva Links/Vans shoes weigh over SPD shoes and the general rubishness of too small / too light pedals are you still sure it's worthwhile saving 150g over some really good pedals that will grip better, wont give pressure/pain/hot-spots in your feet, won't fall appart at the first sign of rocks and have bearings which will last a season?

Saving weight in pedals is about as usefull as cutting your bars down to 200mm, cutting a seatpost too short and using uncomfortable saddles to save weight.

The lightest I'd recomend are nukeproof electrons, I'm still not convinced plastic is as good as aluminium for pedals, but other people seem to like them and at least they're full sized.

I crashed and went to flat pedals for a while, I bought some £160 burgtech MK2 pedals. They weigh 750g but I still think they're the best flat pedal ever made. Pedals are one place where the weight isn't noticable.

BmanX

by BmanX

This is weight weenies so find the lightest pedal you can get and fits your budget and go with that.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

ballance on some ti axles and tell everyone they're tuned speedplays?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Wellgo M111's are 240 grams a pair. Large enough and grippy enough to be useable.

start

by start

Thank you all for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com