Is the new Lezyne ABS pump head better?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spookyload

by spookyload

I love my Lezyne pump. Saddly it unthreads my valve cores on my XC wheels. Did the new ABS valve head fix the problem with this? Hope so because the concept is good, but constantly putting the valve cores back in is a PITA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I've only used it a couple of times with valve cores and it's worked fine. I do make sure that cores are screwed in tightly to start with. The pressure release valve definitely seems to be a good idea.
BTW I've only used it on road tyres.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

I have yet to unscrew a valve core since I bought it - before it would do it to at least one of my wheels every time I used my pump. Well worth the ten or so dollars.

spookyload

by spookyload

fantastic. I saw they have them at Colorado Cyclist now. Worth the few bucks like you said.

djm

by djm

Happens on occasion unless the core is properly screwed in. Once it is screwed properly in place it tends not to unscrew inadvertently.

Considering getting a Hirame pump head though, to use with my disc. Kinda tired of using the Zipp crackpipe which is a real PITA.

ross

by ross

Yes I agree the new pump head is better with the pressure release valve, although I still hold my valve extenders with one hand whilst unscrewing the pump head out of habit. One downside is that the pressure release head is a teenie bit longer and doesn't hold the hose as tightly when you clip the head into the base for storage - but that's a minor gripe compared to unscrewing the valves

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Dear Mr Lezyne ... How about you send me a free one of these thingys to go on my recently purchased Travel Floor Drive? And how about you send all your customers one?

And another one Mr Lezyne ... Why would anyone actually need an 'Air Bleed System' valve? With a proper valve head you just pull it off and the air is released.

Talk about overdesign.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

...or just unscrew pump from hose before hose from valve and your pressure will be released sans the ABS button...? (I'm talking hand/mini pumps here)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

You still have the pressure build up in the hose. The release valve works really well. Only a minimal amount of air is lost unlike my track pump which noisily loses a couple of psi when the head is removed from the valve.

taina

by taina

What's a tried and true lubricant for the assembly that turns when the pump is attached and detached (while the pump head remains fixed within this assembly)?
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

petal666

by petal666

Valbrona wrote:Dear Mr Lezyne ... How about you send me a free one of these thingys to go on my recently purchased Travel Floor Drive? And how about you send all your customers one?

And another one Mr Lezyne ... Why would anyone actually need an 'Air Bleed System' valve? With a proper valve head you just pull it off and the air is released.

Talk about overdesign.
If you don't like it, why did you buy it?

I like the lezyne system, not pump blowing off the valve at 100psi once the washer gets worn.

micky

by micky

I bought a Lazyne pump last winter and pretty pleased by it including this ABS release system.
My only complain is that sometimes the top of the cap would unscrew by itself when inflating tires... :?

taina

by taina

Lezyne USA answered the question about lubrication in my post above. Taking off the chuck on the alloy floor pump exposes a 2mm allen. Loosen it, freeing a collar and exposing an o-ring. Clean up any dirt. Lubricate with Tri-Flow or similar, and reattach the collar , then the chuck. I tried this, and it works.

I didn't ask Lezyne about tightening the chuck, but using two pairs of pliers seems to work for this.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

kx_1

by kx_1

The ABS system is great, no more pressure when you are trying to unscrew the head from the valve. Before that i have used some locktite on my valve cores in order not to be unscrewed, but now you dont need that.
The best think about the ABS and the threaded chuck is that the pump lives forever, no o-rings to fail, under high pressures and everyday use...
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Caveat: There is an o-ring in the outermost part of the chuck (Presta) which can become dislocated if the pump head is pulled off the valve at an angle after it has been unscrewed, so what you are saying is not 100% precise.