Bike shop in Las Vegas?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hillrider

by hillrider

I'm holidaying in Las Vegas,Nevada for a week,suggestions please for bikeshop's to visit to see/buy some nice lightweight parts??Thanks in advance.

tinchy

by tinchy

Is this before or after hitting the jackpot?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

When will you be in Vegas?

...and, really, you're just a 7hr drive down to Tucson, Arizona. :wink:
http://goo.gl/maps/7gJEb

Send a PM to the user "spinwax" - he had a shop in Vegas before he moved to Reno, he can advise.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Pro Cyclery at 7304 West Charleston... then head west on Charleston for an awesome ride through Red Rock Canyon

:thumbup:

hillrider

by hillrider

Thanks for the info imaking20,i will pop in to them for a look.

I'll be in Vegas next Feb 2013,and have been to Tucson before,so I know there's no way Im driving down to Fairwheels shop this trip!!LOL

trikobe

by trikobe

I live in Vegas and you won't find any lightweight boutique parts at Pro Cyclery. In fact, they are a very small shop with VERY limited part selection. There really isn't a shop in Vegas that has a lot of high end stuff. McGhies is probably the best shop in Vegas, in that I mean have the largest selection of components, bikes and clothing. But if you want high end boutique stuff, best order it online or like another poster indicated, visit FWB at Tuscon

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Anyone know the estimated milage of the ride from ProCyclery through the Red Rock Canyon loop and back?

I'll be there for Interbike and want to plan a ride.

Sorry if this is OT.

llhh

by llhh

Pro Cyclery is a TINY shop, not much to browse there. Although they are very nice folks so probably still worth a visit when in town.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

Imaking20

by Imaking20

trikobe wrote:I live in Vegas and you won't find any lightweight boutique parts at Pro Cyclery. In fact, they are a very small shop with VERY limited part selection. There really isn't a shop in Vegas that has a lot of high end stuff. McGhies is probably the best shop in Vegas, in that I mean have the largest selection of components, bikes and clothing. But if you want high end boutique stuff, best order it online or like another poster indicated, visit FWB at Tuscon

I lived in vegas for 14 years until this past October. I also haven't seen any extravagant offerings at any of the local shops but I figured I could at least offer something with less standard offerings. McGhies is just like a trip to REI. They're big but not exciting IMO.

As for the loop from Pro Cyclery.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pro+ ... 1&t=m&z=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also return on Durango instead of Ft Apache... or any number of smaller side roads that run East/West between the two. As you see, Vegas streets are pretty easily laid out and easy to navigate.

bluesea

by bluesea

prendrefeu wrote:
Send a PM to the user "spinwax" - he had a shop in Vegas before he moved to Reno, he can advise.

Shucks, I thought to try a retul fit sometime after I arrived Oct 6. Anyway, thanks for the info--I plan a couple of rides on a borrowed 8sp Gios. A loop from Henderson to Red Rock looks good on paper, but traffic conditions/road suitability for bicycles are the big question.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

A bigger question may be temperature. :lol:

Take a look at the hourly temperature estimates for the area.

I was considering taking my standard road bike in addition to a 'lockable' for Interbike just so I can get rides in each morning, but I'm debating whether I'll have the energy to start a ride at 5am with everything else going on.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

@bluesea: Depending on where you're starting in Henderson - there are some great roads and bike paths on the far south side of town (silverado ranch, st rose pkwy etc) that will take you west towards Red Rock. If that's of any use to you I can be more specific.

@pren: don't be a sissy :P

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So you're saying work the floor all day, party all night, get about 2hrs of sleep, ride up a mountain, come back to do it all over again? :twisted:

bluesea

by bluesea

^ Thanks for the weather link. I've also seen it in the mid 40s F in Oct., but heat needs to be reckoned with. Best to be mindful if it goes above 90°. Riding around in the 90°s to 45° will be a new experience. Maybe best to test it out if above 90°.

Not the best planning on my part, and I regret not having an Iron Horse case ready to go. The idea existed but not the execution, argh.

Imaking20,
I think I'll look for a group ride or a partner since I don't know the roads or traffic mentality/customs etc. Maybe 17-18mph at 30-50mi.

swinter

by swinter

carbon2329 wrote:Anyone know the estimated milage of the ride from ProCyclery through the Red Rock Canyon loop and back?

37.85 mi.

the people at ProCyclery are nice. McGhies is the more high end shop. you can rent a Pinarello there.

the Red Rocks ride is quite beautiful. bring an extra water bottle, the desert air is quite dry.

if you are on the Henderson side of town, do the River Mountain Loop. not quite as beautiful as Red Rocks, but more challenging. watch out for the 3 Sisters.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com