New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Still too expensive though
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

skinnyankles

by skinnyankles

Anyone has any idea if the Specialized Quarq pm out yet?
Thought of getting one for my s-works crank.
http://www.quarq.com/specialized-quarq

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mieke@quarq
in the industry

by mieke@quarq

skinnyankles wrote:Anyone has any idea if the Specialized Quarq pm out yet?
Thought of getting one for my s-works crank.
http://www.quarq.com/specialized-quarq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, they are available. Please call our customer service if interested.

Mieke
Quarq Technology

euan

by euan

Here is one that I assume we shall see more of at Interbike

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... 012-35270/

maquisard

by maquisard

Is it just me or does that bear a close resemblance to the Pioneer sensor? I presume the measurement principle behind both is the same.

euan

by euan

It is similar though it is only the LH crankarm and is a quarter of the price and has ANT+ as well. It will be interesting to hear what it is like.

From the experts what is the different between measuring at the LH crank only compared to the SRM/Quarq/Power2Max at the spider measurement?

Lou3000

by Lou3000

This new "cheaper" powermeter is just what I'm looking for. I don't need pinpoint accuracy and universal correctness, I just want a reliable way to measure power from ride to ride. If it tells me that I'm putting out 2800 watts, so be it, so long as the next ride reads 2800, too.

mrfish

by mrfish

For the money this appears to be a winner and much more elegant than messing with the spider, pedal spindles and other headache inducing complexity... Luckily I still have an aluminium crank and have not upgraded, so no worries there either.

I guess the next stage would be to put it on the other crank arm as well.

maquisard

by maquisard

DC Rainmaker has a preview as well :

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/09/stag ... crank.html

Slightly more comprehensive than Bikeradar

jmilliron

by jmilliron

$700 and only +20g? As long as it's consistent enough to pace yourself with, they've got a winner.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

euan wrote:Here is one that I assume we shall see more of at Interbike

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... 012-35270/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aside from it not being available for sale yet (if ever) and being unproven, my main disappointment is lack of zip ties to hold the device on the crank (how ya doin' Pioneer).

No carbon fiber (left) crank arms.

Don't get too excited by the $699 price. Dura Ace road is $899 or $949, plus you have to buy the rest of the crank from them. You can't just attach it to an existing crank arm (unless modified to accommodate it).
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... 012-35270/ wrote:Dura-Ace 9000, $949 power meter; $1,349 complete crankset
Dura-Ace 7900, $899 power meter; $1,299 complete crankset
Edit: Fixed quote
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Agree with HammerTime2, no carbon fibre crank compatible versions is disappointing.

On the bright side, if it's as accurate as claimed it's got to be a good thing to have cheaper alternatives. It'll only drives prices downwards.

euan

by euan

HammerTime2 wrote:Don't get too excited by the $699 price. Dura Ace road is $899 or $949, plus you have to buy the rest of the crank from them. You can't just attach it to an existing crank arm (unless modified to accommodate it).

My training bike has Force on it, I only need to buy the LH crank arm so $699 for use when training and a 45 second swap to take it off? That has me interested. I'm happy to wait and see what what people think of it.

This certainly appears to be the budget PM that everyone including myself have been waiting for.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

HammerTime2 wrote:Don't get too excited by the $699 price. Dura Ace road is $899 or $949, plus you have to buy the rest of the crank from them. You can't just attach it to an existing crank arm (unless modified to accommodate it).

But you can just throw their crank arm in place of your existing LH crank arm. Done.

Having a CF poweremeter'd-crankarm available (specifically RED/Exogram) would be ideal for me personally, and if sales are strong I imagine that would be in development soon enough.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

prendrefeu wrote:Having a CF poweremeter'd-crankarm available (specifically RED/Exogram) would be ideal for me personally, and if sales are strong I imagine that would be in development soon enough.

It seems that will not be the case unless someone solves (quoting the Bike Radar article) the
``inherent problems with hysteresis associated with composite construction''
and hence
``the StageONE will only work with aluminum arms.''

Too bad, another powermeter that doesn't work with Campagnolo.