good allround cross tub

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

brearley

by brearley

looking for a good allround cross tub, I'm on quite a tight budget as buying the wheels nearly hit my limit, I have a pair of 28mm tubs to put on which should be fine for the rear but front end grip is what I may be lacking.

looking for a cheap, allround tub with lots of grip, probably 32mm would be best unless anybody is using a pair of continental crossattack tubs without problems?

944Turbo

by 944Turbo

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend a Challenge Fango, or if you could find a cheap Dugast Rhino or Typhoon, they're definitely worth the extra couple of bucks. Quality tires are the best place on your cross bike to spend your money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeldesgreniers

by joeldesgreniers

On the cheap side, I'd personnaly recommend the Challenge Grifos. The thread is very similar to the Dugast Typhoon, which is a great all-around tubular. Only downside that I found with Challenge vs. Dugast is that the Challenge casing tends to ''fold'' when you're riding under 30 psi whereas the Dugast (much more supple) stays more centered.

brearley

by brearley

cheers guys, was given some gommitalia magnum cross tubs by a mate so will use those this season.

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

I am riding the Hutchinson Toro Tubs. They have been pretty solid as allrounders, and they shed enough in the wet. I am in NC, so the wet means sticky clay peanut butter.

toride

by toride

Im in North lincolnshire so pretty similar condition i'd think and ive now ridden the last two cross races on new tufo cubu's,i got the pair for £42. So inexpensive in comparison to some.

I am also really pleased with the performance,30psi in wet slippery conditions,so far confident they'l find grip.
I see you have been given some tubs but thought id share this info incase your not happy with what your running.

brearley

by brearley

Guessing you rode the last round at hubbards hills I've only been riding lincs league and floodlit cross the tubs I have are the same as challenge griffos perfect for most slightly struggled on Sunday ans ended 14th

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Tufo Flexus Cubus? I had a pair of non-Flexus Cubuses, they were really good.

Geoff

by Geoff

If you had to have just a single tubular set for all conditions, it would have to be the Dugast Typhoon. That tire will get you through all but true mud conditions and will still be fast enough for hard-pack courses.

BSUdude

by BSUdude

Geoff wrote:If you had to have just a single tubular set for all conditions, it would have to be the Dugast Typhoon. That tire will get you through all but true mud conditions and will still be fast enough for hard-pack courses.

Really? I have been running Typhoons all year and love them, but anytime the course is even a little snotty/dewy grass I find their grip diminished greatly when cornering. I was wondering if Rhinos might be a better all around choice for next year. Or maybe I just expect too much out of my tires. Would running Rhinos in dry grass/tacky stuff be that much of a disadvantage over the Typhoons?

Geoff

by Geoff

I agree, they are not as good as the Rhinos in wet, muddy conditions. You can run the pressures down and they will be better, but still not like a mud tire.

I guess I was responding to the OP and the choice of a single tire for all-around usage. I am assuming that he is in Hull, PQ and will be riding a fair amount of the season in fast conditions, too. If you are in a locale with more mud, then maybe the Rhino will be the right choice for you. Ideally, of course, you would have a 'quiver' of wheels to choose from, depending on the course and the conditions.

BSUdude

by BSUdude

Geoff wrote:I agree, they are not as good as the Rhinos in wet, muddy conditions. You can run the pressures down and they will be better, but still not like a mud tire.

I guess I was responding to the OP and the choice of a single tire for all-around usage. I am assuming that he is in Hull, PQ and will be riding a fair amount of the season in fast conditions, too. If you are in a locale with more mud, then maybe the Rhino will be the right choice for you. Ideally, of course, you would have a 'quiver' of wheels to choose from, depending on the course and the conditions.

Not trying to pick your response apart at all, just kind of wondering out loud as I'm currently in the same position. Hopefully by next year I will have picked up another set of tubular wheels so I can have a set of typhoons and a set of rhinos. In case I haven't I was trying to consider how much I'd be giving up running rhinos in conditions where typhoons would be more ideal. Right now I'm thinking it would probably be better than what I do now, which is run mud clinchers whenever things get really sloppy.

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmmmm. Sounds like the coming 'Small Birds' may be a really good alternative. They have a Fast Bird-like tread, but with Rhino-like side-knobs: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... ies_264425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Also says only 100 small birds are coming into the country next year... like they will be scoffed up for pro use only.

Meh... FMB super muds are so close... and roll pretty well. IMO, The FMB SSC is the fastest roller.

To address the OP's question... cheap all-rounder? Griffo's or Fango's. Both are fast rollers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gummee

by gummee

944Turbo wrote:If you're on a budget, I'd recommend a Challenge Fango, or if you could find a cheap Dugast Rhino or Typhoon, they're definitely worth the extra couple of bucks. Quality tires are the best place on your cross bike to spend your money.

I raced my Fango for the first time Sunday. The difference in grip while turning was confidence-inspiring on the dry, grassy course. Much mo bettah than the Grifo that was my front tire of choice.

I'd live to try a Clement PDX. I hear good things about them as a front tire.

AFA the OP: The Grifo/Fango combo is very hard to beat in lots of conditions.

My training/backup wheelset was an FMB SSC on the rear and a Grifo on the front. The SSC died (sliced thru the tread), so I'm looking to replace that with something. The racing wheelset is a Conti 'Mud' (aka Grifo 2) tread and a Fango. The Conti 'mud' does OK. Slides consistently and predictably when you hit softer stuff but really likes it drier.

I have a Tufo Dry 32 on the rear of the backup backup rear wheel, but I haven't ridden it yet.

If you want durability above all else, see if you can't find a Tufo T-series tire. I have had several in the past. Wear like iron. Don't flat (often). Problem is... they ride like poo.

HTH

M