Small woman on a Cannondale - Advise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peled

by peled

Hi all,

My friends daughter is 158 CM (5.2")
We wonder what frame size to get her.
It will be a Cannondale SS EVO.
The better size will be the women model size 44cm.
The thing is we need it to be a 700 wheel.

Does any one know if 44cm frame comes with 700 or 650 wheels?

Thank you all,
Peled
Last edited by peled on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rijndael

by rijndael

peled wrote:158 CM (6.2")

158cm = ~5'2" and not 6'2".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

158 cm = 5'2".

Same as my wife.

You will need the smallest size which they call a 48. With consideration to the seat tube angle of 74.5 degrees, the key dimension is the top tube which is 51.5. You will need a zero offset seatpost and a very short reach handle bar to make it work. You will also need to consider using the shortest reach shifters. IIRC Shimano shifters ride about 1 cm longer than Sram, so Sram may be your best choice. Once these parts are in place find the stem that works. My wife uses a 9 cm stem but most women this small end up with 8 cm or even shorter. Assuming proper positioning, the longer the stem that will work the better the handling will be - this is why short reach bars and shifters are so important.

Something to keep in mind is head tube size. 11 cm is normal for a frame of this size but may be too short for certain women. If she is young/racing it will probably be fine.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

audiojan

by audiojan

Height is a really poor measurement to determine bike fit... You can take people of exactly the same height and have one fit one size, another person the same brand/model but a different size and a third person simply doesn't fit any size of that brand/model but fits perfect on another brand/model...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

MY wife is 5'2 and rides a 44cm Cannondale.

I know it is almost impossible, but if you can find anywhere to test ride the frames you might want to.
My wife tried the top end carbon frames (more CErvelo than Cannondale in her size) and found the Synapse Feminine 5 (Aluminum) to be a BETTER ride for her size. It was more comfortable, the carbon frames were jarringly stiff, and there is almost no weight savings in those tiny sizes. In fact her top choice was the Cannondale AL, second choice was a cheap Giant AL frame, then the megabuck carbon racebikes from Cervelo and Cannondale.

Long story short, I was prepared to buy a $3000 frame, but ended up with a $600 one she likes WAY better.

At the extremes of the stock sizing spectrum bikes can REALLY ride different based on material or geometry compromises, so it is worth taking test rides, or thinking of getting her something custom.

44cm Cannondale frames are sized for 700c wheel BTW.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The Specialized Ruby is a good alternative...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

audiojan wrote:Height is a really poor measurement to determine bike fit... You can take people of exactly the same height and have one fit one size, another person the same brand/model but a different size and a third person simply doesn't fit any size of that brand/model but fits perfect on another brand/model...

Disagree. Height assuming fairly normal proportions will get you in the ball park. This is particularly true of with the limited sizing options offered by most modern manufacturers. Variability of proportion is further decreased when you are dealing with such a small athlete - she won't have 36 inch long arms for example. It would be a very rare occurrence to find a 5'2" female rider who would be better fit on any size of Cannondale Evo other than the smallest they offer - the 48.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

peled

by peled

Thank you all for your answers.

Cannondale offer women model in 44 cm size.
The girl had been to a bike fitter in order to fit her MTB and current road bikes, so we have all the measurements we need.
In terms of TT length the 44size will be the best as we can go with the 90mm stem.
The thing is, we need 700c wheels.
I couldn't fined anywhere to tell me if it 700c or 650c wheels.

Peled

giant man

by giant man

audiojan wrote:Height is a really poor measurement to determine bike fit... You can take people of exactly the same height and have one fit one size, another person the same brand/model but a different size and a third person simply doesn't fit any size of that brand/model but fits perfect on another brand/model...

+1 - I totally agree, it's all about proportions imo ...

gwilliams

by gwilliams

My G.F is 5ft 3inch and rides a 48cm Super Six Hi Mod. 75mm Enve stem, set back post, 165mm chainset

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

peled wrote:Thank you all for your answers.

Cannondale offer women model in 44 cm size.
The girl had been to a bike fitter in order to fit her MTB and current road bikes, so we have all the measurements we need.
In terms of TT length the 44size will be the best as we can go with the 90mm stem.
The thing is, we need 700c wheels.
I couldn't fined anywhere to tell me if it 700c or 650c wheels.

Peled

Peled,

CANNONDALE USES 700C WHEELS ON SIZE 44cm WOMENS BIKE.
have a nice day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peled

by peled

Thank you very much for A strait forward answer.

Peled