Pro's Riding >20% Gradients

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

horse

by horse

34x27/28 is low enough for anything. You certainly don't need to go that low however steep, even around 20%. As long as such gradients aren't the norm you just make do. Simpson really didn't need 32 on the rear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

horse wrote:34x27/28 is low enough for anything. You certainly don't need to go that low however steep, even around 20%. As long as such gradients aren't the norm you just make do. Simpson really didn't need 32 on the rear.

I disagree. 20% is efing steep. There is one hill that steep local to me and although it is quite short (~300m I guess) it's challenging for most. I find a 34/25 gets me up it but its difficult. If it was much longer I doubt that a 27 would be low enough. By comparison there is a longer climb (~2km) that maxes at ~18% that has stopped me 3 times. I'm an older guy with max hr ~174 but light and fit. A 34/29 doesn't seem outrageously low to me for alpine riding. I'm sure I'd use it if I had it when the alternative is testing my max hr.

Of course if you're talking about pros that's different.
r o y g b i v

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Given the name of the topic, that'd be fair assumption...

ticou

by ticou

34/29 is yer golden ticket, as I explained in my 'shot down in flames' pyrenean venture link.

shadwell

by shadwell

Tinea Pedis wrote:
UKpaul wrote:Would seem I don't know what I'm on about then.

Agreed :lol:

It is a prick of a ramp tho...

KWalker

by KWalker

I love how people in here are saying such and such gear is too high or too low when Wiggins, Cobo, Leipheimer, Contador, et al have ALL used and won stages on compact cranks with 29-32 cassettes in the rear. It apparently works...
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tonytourist

by tonytourist

The 34x32 low gear of a standard compact + sram apex is really nice for some long, steep climbs. I can definitely see how it can help a climber like Contador who spins away :thumbup:

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

There's a difference between just making it up a climb, and racing up it. We have some stretches here of 6-700m above 20%, and while plenty can make it up (only just), not many can race it...
2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Do they same climb multiple times in different gears. Measure strava times or power output. Pick best gearing.

roadman

by roadman

I think one of the advantages is saving the legs a stage race. For example, Contador running 34 inner + Wifli during the last week of the Vuelta whilst Purito was running the 39 inner definitely made a difference.

Interestingly, Rob Hayles on the ToB yesterday mentioning he prefers 53/42 for UK Premier Calendar races.. :mrgreen:

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

What sucks is getting to the half way point of said climbs and shifting to a lower gear only to realize that you are already in it. I'll even glance back at the cassette in disbelief...but there's reality staring right back at you. Fun ain't it!

austke

by austke

+1 Mellowjohny, I think whether we admit it or not, we have probably all done that.

Austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

mellowJohnny wrote:What sucks is getting to the half way point of said climbs and shifting to a lower gear only to realize that you are already in it. I'll even glance back at the cassette in disbelief...but there's reality staring right back at you. Fun ain't it!

haha yup, been there too many times. it's like staying seated, max hr, 100% power, grinding 60 cadence.... ughhhh

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That's when you get off and walk. :lol:
It might be a lot quicker. Think about it. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

stella-azzurra wrote:That's when you get off and walk. :lol:
It might be a lot quicker. Think about it. :lol:

i did that up baldy, in 39/26. it was painful, but just kept on destorying my legs haha. i was looking forward to that decent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com