Lazer Helium vs. Giro Aeon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dbecks7

by dbecks7

Which is the better of the two in terms of featues, comfortability and a sleek low profile look when its on the head?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TTP

by TTP

Fit is unparalleled with the Helium. The fit system is way ahead of Giro. It simultaneously pulls the band from the front of the forehead and back of the head together. It creates a sense of float as the ceiling of the helmet does not weigh down the top of your cranium. The circumference shape of the helmets are about the same (more round vs oval). I have not noticed any real difference in heat dissipation between the two. But because the front band fits so well it flows sweat away from your eyes better.

Features like an integrated red rear light (2013 model), liner and clear helmet cover are useful and more innovative than Giro. The magnetized sunglasses I use really works to alleviate pressure from wearing sunglasses. I mountain bike with it and they don't move.

Even if you don't want any of the other features the fit lane should sway you to the the Helium. It's just not as light but I don't feel it.

WillT

by WillT

TTP nailed it. The fit system on Lazer helmets work really well. If you're after a low profile helmet, you may want to also look at their Genesis model. It's very similar to the Helium, with the biggest difference being the straps and the lack of a dual density foam system. The O2 is also another great helmet from Lazer that doesn't get quite as much attention. I actually prefer (just slightly) its fit over that of the Genesis.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I agree, the Genesis is a great looking helmet. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Helium and sent most of them back. The Genesis has a great fit and is very low profile.

ECT

by ECT

Earlier this year one of the local race teams in my area switched from Giro's Ionos to Heliums and most say the fit and comfort are better. And in my opinion, they look better than either the Ionos or Aeon.

Zitter

by Zitter

i mistakenly bought a medium helium because I wear a medium in the aeon, way too small. guess I should go with a large or a medium/large as they look about the same measurements, the aeon is a really good fit but i want to try something new. if anybody wants a white helium let me know

dcaspira

by dcaspira

+1 genesis

Fit is brilliant.

Genesis is no where near as bulky as the helium, which required the bulk to increase the ventilation / slot sizes - but no grea advantage.

Seems lazer nailed the Genesis and kinda lost the plot of the helium.

otoman

by otoman

TTP wrote:Fit is unparalleled with the Helium. The fit system is way ahead of Giro. It simultaneously pulls the band from the front of the forehead and back of the head together. It creates a sense of float as the ceiling of the helmet does not weigh down the top of your cranium. The circumference shape of the helmets are about the same (more round vs oval).

Agree with all of the above posts, love the Genesis. The one thing I'd add is that I have a quite oval shaped head (more aero :lol: ). While the helmet itself does appear to be round-ish, the fit system accommodates my oval melon extremely well. Absolutely the comfiest helmet I own. Not the best ventilated for hot summer days, but certainly the best for all day comfort on anything under about 90F.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Don't wanna dig up too old threads here, but I felt an urge to chime in. I read this thread and decided to try a Lazer Genesis. Fitwise and estethically the Genesis outsmarts all Giro offerings by far. Each head to its own though, so thats IMO. Can't wait to try the 2013 Helium.

Estelja

by Estelja

I own a Helium and would agree with the above assessments. Great fit if you have a more oval front to back head like myself. Only other difference in the Helium from a lot of other helmets is that the temple straps are attached closer to the exterior of the shell, meaning that those straps don't sit right on your skin at that point. Due to this, I find that my sunglasses fit better under the straps, and while this may violate a Velominati cool rule it is actually nice because I can take off the helmet without removing my glasses and getting them on/off while riding is easier.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

Aeon looks much better to me. The helium looks as if the sides where pushed in. It's too skinny for my taste.

109er

by 109er

I love Lazer helmets. I had an O2 for 3 years and when it came time to replace it, I bought a 2012 Helium. I loved it so much I bought another just for training. Seriously the best helmet out there. I've ridden everything from Giro (Atmos, Ionos, Aeon), Bell (Sweep), Rudy Project (Sterling-which is also a very nice helmet, just way too expensive). Even the O2 outperforms most other top of the range helmets.

Fit, asthetics, ventilation, features, etc.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

sluggo

by sluggo

I tried on a Lazer Genesis this week after hearing good things but it didn't fit my large round head and found it gave pressure at the temples. On the plus side it felt like a quality helmet and loved the matt white. The Kask Mojito on the other hand fit amazingly and IMHO looked better then the Genesis on.

BTM

by BTM

109er wrote:I love Lazer helmets. I had an O2 for 3 years and when it came time to replace it, I bought a 2012 Helium. I loved it so much I bought another just for training. Seriously the best helmet out there. I've ridden everything from Giro (Atmos, Ionos, Aeon), Bell (Sweep), Rudy Project (Sterling-which is also a very nice helmet, just way too expensive). Even the O2 outperforms most other top of the range helmets.

Fit, asthetics, ventilation, features, etc.

I just got an O2 and it's amazing. I went into the shop and tried it on first and then a Giro, which the fit system in the back was creating a pressure point that became obvious after trying the Lazer. It's gonna take something seriously awesome to get me away from Lazer next time I'm helmet shopping...
2012 Colnago Air
2012 Raleigh RX

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

sluggo wrote: The Kask Mojito on the other hand fit amazingly and IMHO looked better then the Genesis on.

Mojitos give me headaches :lol: Doesn't everything look better after one mojito? :P

But seriously, I did try on the KASK Vertigo (as an ENT doc, I detest that name for a helmet, or U2 song for that matter but I digress) and it fit beautifully. The vertical adjustment in back really did allow for perfect cradle placement. The cradle also had comfy gel pads and it seemed to have nice ventilation. Probably will strongly consider KASK next, but only if I still have a Lazer sitting on the shelf too...
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill