Firefly Ti

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Steno

by Steno

Hi All,

Slowly building up a new bike, which is taking a bit longer than expected due to the release of the new DI2 forcing me to have a rethink.

I would love your input or suggestions in the build that I am putting together. Essentially looking for a "clean" and "subtle" look on a frame that should do all the talking. Weight is not the main factor of consideration. I have some bits, I have some ideas for other bits and looking for your thoughts!

Comments?

Frame: Firefly blasted Ti
Fore: Enve 2.0 or 1.0 ??
Headset: Chris King Black? Titanium? Silver?
Handlebar: 3T Ergonova Stealth (it is a comfort thing over the ENVE option!) - Own
Tape: Arundel Geeko Black - Own
Handlebar mounted front light: Exposure Flash??
Stem: Enve (to match forks) ??
Seatpost offset: ENVE or Firefly Custom ??
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Arione CX w/ Braided Composite Rails in Black – Own
Saddle bag: Arundel Dual – Own
Rear light: Exposure Flare??
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 - Own
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070
Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Shifters/Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 11x25, 11-Speed
Chain: ??
Crankset: SRAM Quarq 34/50 - Own
Bottom Bracket: Chris King??
Wheels : Shimano Dura-Ace C24 - Own
Skewers: ??
Cage: King Ti - Own

Cheers,

Steno
Last edited by Steno on Sat May 25, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fa63

by fa63

I would do the Enve 1.0 fork, Enve stem and custom Firefly titanium seatpost . For the chain, I have had great luck with KMC X10SL. As for the skewers, I love my DA ones for their fit and forget nature. If you want something lighter, look at the Tune DC14 (assuming you are not a bigger rider).

Anyways, sounds like a promising build. Keep us posted.
Last edited by fa63 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ What he said.....except I would match the stem and handlebars. Look forward to seeing this when it's built up!

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Firefly for the win!!!! Match the seatpost and stem

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

For a classy, understated Firefly build I reckon Firefly post and stem with your 3T bar.

Chain? Go DA9000 - why use anything else? KMC is good too, but the DA one is designed to be run with the kit in question.

Fork? Why bother with the Enve 1.0 when the 2.0 barely feels any different and is so much cheaper, especially if you're not bothered about the weight.

Lights? Exposure are ace, but the Flash & Flare come with those hideous red rubber band mounts. I'd go with the new Knog 4V rear light and their Blinder 1 front light. The new, small Lezyne light range is also very nice. For a really funky rear light you could go with the very cool Blink-Steady option too.

Headset? Go Chris King, black, Sotto Voce. Alternatively, Tune Bobo.

Look forward to seeing it!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'd say you're all set for a superb build. If I was doing it I might just add very subtle red highlights, just BB shells, seatpost clamp and headset. Generally Ti bikes with black kit are very classy, and the DA should match very well. About the seatpost, metal or carbon will both work, it's just that for a frame on the bigger side, say 56/58+ some contrast is nice, so the bike doesn't look all monolithic. What's your size? Think the wheels will fit very nicely too, are you planning to run skinwall tyres?

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

I'll try to help you visualise some of your choices, King cages, Chris King headset, 3T stem and ergonova bar on a Ti Firefly.

My enve post has the di2 battery in it. I'd go FF post now (they didn't do them when I got mine) and put the shimano battery inside it when it becomes available.

Steno

by Steno

Cheers all. Pictures certainly do help.

Chris King Sotto Voce headset recommendation looks great and will be choosen.

BikeTart: That was my thinking on the fork and the wife will be happy with every dollar saved!

Unfortunately for some..... Looks like I might go an Enve stem to match the fork and the custom seatpost

Bike size is 54-56cm.

Tire wise: most likely just some black Conti's or similiar.

As you can see in the picture above (apologies Stuart) the frame comes with an ugly seat post collar which i think is a chunky Thompson (??).. Suggestions for something a bit more "slender"?
Last edited by Steno on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

Yes Thompson, yes chunky (27g)! It's on my list of little changes over time. Possibly carbon ti.

tomgag

by tomgag

If you do not race I would put TI bolt-n skewers on.
Found mine on ebay and used for +1 year. It takes 1 min to unscrew it.
IRONMAN 70,3 TARGET TIME 03:55

Steno

by Steno

Cheers tomgag. Quiet like that idea.

Just so I am 110% certain.. am looking for Chris King NoThreadSet 1 1/8 Inch Headset yeah?

Holiday

by Holiday

Hi Stenno,

I ride a Firefly SS XCR with Di2 internal fittings. What I suggest is that u get a BB30 for your
frame cause it will give u more crank options. I ordered mine with standard BB and could not use
any of my BB30 cranks due to wire & spacing on the BB.

Frame: Firefly blasted Ti ( Good Choice & Bomb Proof )
Fore: Enve 2.0 or 1.0 ?? ( Enve 1.0 cause lighter & more giving )
Headset: Chris King Black? Titanium? Silver? ( Titanium )
Handlebar: 3T Ergonova Stealth (it is a comfort thing over the ENVE option!) - Own
Handlebar mounted front light: Exposure Flash?? ( Yes, exposure, I use a Diablo )
Stem: Enve (to match forks) ?? ( Firefly custom, Zipp Speed or SL cause they look slicker )
Seatpost offset: ENVE or Firefly Custom ?? ( Firefly cause they can custom angles but the clamp [color=#0000FF]is a pain in the ass to fix & adjust[/color] )
Rear light: Exposure Flare?? ( Yes, the flare )
Chain: ??( Dura Ace )
Bottom Bracket: Chris King??( Sram Press-Fit )
Skewers: ?? ( Zipp Ti Aero QR )

Cheers,

Steno
NA

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Steno wrote:Hi All,

Slowly building up a new bike, which is taking a bit longer than expected due to the release of the new DI2 forcing me to have a rethink.

I would love your input or suggestions in the build that I am putting together. Essentially looking for a "clean" and "subtle" look on a frame that should do all the talking. Weight is not the main factor of consideration. I have some bits, I have some ideas for other bits and looking for your thoughts!

Comments?

Frame: Firefly blasted Ti
Fore: Enve 2.0 or 1.0 ??
Headset: Chris King Black? Titanium? Silver?
Handlebar mounted front light: Exposure Flash??
Stem: Enve (to match forks) ??
Seatpost offset: ENVE or Firefly Custom ??
Rear light: Exposure Flare??
Chain: ??
Bottom Bracket: Chris King??
Skewers: ??

Cheers,

Steno

For fork, have Firefly paint over the ENVE logos, they are too distracting, here is a pic of my Moots on which I think the fork is too "LOOK AT ME"

If money is an issue at all I would look for a used Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, which I think looks better than the Enve with a subtle curve and feels better on the road (less stiff but not at all soft).
Make sure to talk to Firefly to see what axle to crown measurement they spec for your design. Reynolds Ouzo would be 372mm, while Enve forks are 267mm. If your frame is designed for 372 an d you want to use Enve fork, you need to use a Chris King 5mm baseplate, which goes under the bottom headset cup and extends the axle to crown of your fork to bring the geometry in line.

ENVE stem and seatpost have HUGE logos, people will think you are on an ENVE bike, if you want subtle how about a 3T stem (de-logo'd with acetone) or a Thomson X2 stem (pictured). There really is no reason for a carbon stem and it is a waste of money.
For seatpost, how about Fizik Cyrano carbon (pictured). It looks straight, but offers almost 25mm setback, or a Thomson Elite setback to match the Thomson stem if you go that way.
Black CK headset, sotto voce.

I think to highlight a Ti frame you should have black stem, seatpost, and fork. Some other people like Ti stem, Ti Seatpost and painted fork.
I dont care for Shimano 9000, but if you want it go ahead.

mrfish

by mrfish

If you want functional components, then get Thomson throughout, including the seat post clamp. It's one of the few which will hold my tandem captain seat post straight without excessive tightening.

If you want the Ti look, then Firefly makes sense.

If you want light weight then I'd go for de-logoed 3T stem and bars plus, AX lightness seat post and Ti Carbon or Parlee seat clamp (check it fits).

For minimum cost and hassle I'd go for Thomson.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TuscanySwe

by TuscanySwe

For fork, have Firefly paint over the ENVE logos, they are too distracting, here is a pic of my Moots on which I think the fork is too "LOOK AT ME"

If money is an issue at all I would look for a used Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, which I think looks better than the Enve with a subtle curve and feels better on the road (less stiff but not at all soft).
Make sure to talk to Firefly to see what axle to crown measurement they spec for your design. Reynolds Ouzo would be 372mm, while Enve forks are 267mm. If your frame is designed for 372 an d you want to use Enve fork, you need to use a Chris King 5mm baseplate, which goes under the bottom headset cup and extends the axle to crown of your fork to bring the geometry in line.

ENVE stem and seatpost have HUGE logos, people will think you are on an ENVE bike, if you want subtle how about a 3T stem (de-logo'd with acetone) or a Thomson X2 stem (pictured). There really is no reason for a carbon stem and it is a waste of money.
For seatpost, how about Fizik Cyrano carbon (pictured). It looks straight, but offers almost 25mm setback, or a Thomson Elite setback to match the Thomson stem if you go that way.
Black CK headset, sotto voce.

I think to highlight a Ti frame you should have black stem, seatpost, and fork. Some other people like Ti stem, Ti Seatpost and painted fork.
I dont care for Shimano 9000, but if you want it go ahead.[/quote]

I agree and heres a photo for comparison purpose. I sanded the easton logos away and just added some clearcoat myself. Looked pretty good and still does 2 years down the line. No logo fork make the bike look less busy imo.

Last edited by TuscanySwe on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.