Ultegra Di2 New Firmware

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I got the Ultegra Di2 system checker and after install, there was new firmware available for the shifters, battery mount and front derailleur. I upgraded them, but without a changelog, not sure whats changed. Sure would be nice if there was a changelog for the firmware.

Omiar

by Omiar

Where did you get the new firmware from?
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The checker works by connecting to the usb port of your pc. It requires you to install the shimano "e-tube" software to work. That software automatically looks for updated firmware for each device and then downloads and installs it. The software shows what version of firmware is in each of the components.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

So is your problem that you know what version of the firmware you have in each component now (after any updates were installed) but you don't know which versions you had before updating?

If you had been aware before updating of what you are now, could you have used/set the software in such a manner as to report the versions of firmware without updating?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No. My problem is that there's no descriptive log of what has changed. When you update firmware in a Garmin for example, they tell you all the things that have been fixed/ changed in the new firmware version. In. The case of Di2, there's no file or text that describes what's changed.. I assume the updated firmware addresses some issues in the original firmware. What are those issues?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

You don't have a need to know. I am Shimano and I have spoken.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

:mrgreen:
I guess since this is weight weenies, and since firmware doesn't change the weights, who cares, right?

oysters

by oysters

goodboyr wrote::mrgreen:
I guess since this is weight weenies, and since firmware doesn't change the weights, who cares, right?

But he who gets the most performance for the same weight, wins! :smartass:

:D

Omiar

by Omiar

goodboyr wrote:The checker works by connecting to the usb port of your pc. It requires you to install the shimano "e-tube" software to work. That software automatically looks for updated firmware for each device and then downloads and installs it. The software shows what version of firmware is in each of the components.

Ok, thanks for the info.
Do you happen to know it the SM-PCE1 works/will work for the new Di2 9000 too?

EDIT: found the information myself already:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ ... a-ace.html
The last part of the article makes me want to buy a SM-PCE1 :)
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

jjbam

by jjbam

The SM-PCE1 PC Conector for Ultegra Di2 will also be used with all future E-Tube Di2 systems including the new Dura Ace 9070 Di2. It will also allow you to make some pretty cool midifications to the 9070 shifting.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Could you please describe these cool modifications it will allow you to make to 9070 shifting? Thanks.

Toby

by Toby

It allows you to set the number of gears shifted on a long lever push. It's also theorized to allow 6770 to upgrade to 11-speed. If they'd confirm that, I'd get it at the start of next season, but it's purely conjecture at this point.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Toby wrote:It allows you to set the number of gears shifted on a long lever push.
Well, I've heard that, but is that it, or is there other stuff that can "openly" be done using published information (as opposed to unauthorized/unsupported hacking)? Can you at least specify how long (and to what time resolution?) is long?

Toby

by Toby

No, I have no idea how long the "long" press is - I haven't played with Di2 at all yet, and I've never read the definition of "long" in a review. There's also been talk that it's possible to repurpose each lever if you want to change which one shifts which derailleur which way, and I believe that's confirmed. Those are the only settings I'm aware of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The present software on the ultegra di2 and system checker does not have the option to go to 11 speeds. Only customization is what each button does. And its a full customization, so you could make each button do whatever single shift you want.