50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petepeterson

by petepeterson

For what it's worth I have a set of 38mm carbon tubs from Yishun that have been awesome and I am a big guy. Been using them for daily use but it's just getting too expensive replacing veloflex tubs after flats.... I am going to order some 44 or 50mm clinchers for daily use. This will be my 3rd set of Chinese wheels and the first two have been awesome.

addictR1

by addictR1

I saw the same 38mm and thinking the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Just put in my order for the 38mm clinchers. Hopefully sometime next week I'll be able to post up some weights and intial preview review

addictR1

by addictR1

AZR3 - wow, can't wait to hear some reviews and some pics! how much did you pay for them?

AZR3

by AZR3

With shipping and PayPal fee it came to $624. These will be my first experience with carbon wheels so I'm excited but as I have nothing to compare them to my review may not be as helpful as it could be.

Also one thing to note is their website lists the weight as 1250 +/-30g but on the invoice it's listed as 1300 +/-30g. I asked Johnson about that and he said their site needs to be updated and that the weight listed on the invoice is the correct range. But in my digging for reviews ive seen posts as recent as 2 days ago with claimed weights in the 1240-1270 range. I'll have my weights up as soon as I unbox them.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The weight depends on what hubs and bearings you choose. Hubsmith are lighter than the Bitex, for example.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

AZR3

by AZR3

Some of the bitex hubed wheels were still coming in under 1300g, typically 1270ish so still lighter than my Alu wheels (1349g)

Roger9

by Roger9

I'm seriously considering the FSC50CM.

It appears to come with a Novatech hub whereas most on this forum have the hubsmith hubs. Can someone please tell me the adavntages and disadvantages of the many different hubs on offer at Farsport and what price differences there are between them.

Thanks in advance.

eric

by eric

I haven't use Novatech hubs but I have Bitex and Hubsmith. Bitex is good because you can get parts in the US from BHS. Hubsmith look similar to Dati but I'm not sure they're the same or from the same manufacturer. Hubsmith has less NDS flange offset than Bitex. They look to be about the same quality as far as finish goes.

My Hubsmith front hub's bearing is a bit notchy when I turn the axle by hand but it appears to turn ok when under QR tension.

If you buy from Farsports they have a new 'edhub' which is made by Bitex for a small upcharge. They list the rear hub weight at 190-something grams. The regular Bitex is 211g.

There are also now N series rims (i.e. FSC50-CN) which are a heavier build than the M series.

Roger9

by Roger9

Thanks for the information.

Looking at the web site they don't list the edhub or the actual weight of the bitex hubs, but from your info this new hub sounds a good option as it would appear about same weight as the hubsmith.

I've read in these forums that there have been issues with hubsmith so I'm a bit hesitant.

I could not find any reference to Dati. Is this another brand.

In summation, what would you guys recommend for 80kg rider (175lb) riderwho likes to push the pace?

eric

by eric

Dati hubs are on BHS's site. The Edhubs are mentioned in the group buy on velobuild.com.

What to recommend as far as wheel build strength depends on your riding style. For example I'm 141 lbs but I break rear spokes. Something about how I climb out of the saddle and that I do a lot of it is hard on wheels. Wheel builders see my weight and assume that I can get by with minimum spokes but depending on the rim stiffness and hub geometry that may not be true.

addictR1

by addictR1

this is fairly new to me about the hubsmith. but what kind of issues are there with the hubsmith?

tomgag

by tomgag

great thread but just wonder what would you recommend for 90km solo ride on Ironman 70,3 - hilly but nothing really steep.

would it be american classic aero 420 3

or,
would it be Farsport FSC38-CM
or,
would it be Farsport FSC50-CM
or,
Focus-Cabon F-W50-C

All of them are in the same price - nearly - and I do struggle to make up my mind.
IRONMAN 70,3 TARGET TIME 03:55

eric

by eric

Unless it's an uphill-only race, aero trumps light weight (assuming we're comparing similar wheels so the difference is in the range of 200-300g).

Given that I'd want the most aero wheels of the list.

It's difficult to determine aerodynamics from looking at wheels. But a general rule is that the deeper the rim the more aero the wheel. That'd the wheels with 50mm rims the right choice.

I'm pretty sure that Focus-Carbon is selling the same wheels that FarSports sells. Even the text is the same. But they seem to have heavier (old?) versions of the rims. I'd want the newer rims with the basalt brake tracks. I've seen pics posted here of older FarSports clinchers (I think they were the foam core ones) that have come apart due to brake heat.

FarSport's rims are older v-shaped designs, not the newer u-shaped ones that are more aero and less affected by side winds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomgag

by tomgag

thanks Eric, it does add up.

BTW: got below from carbon and farsport
carbon
F-W60-C: USD439
FW50-C: USD 409
F-W50-C is 1500g+/-15g.
farsport
The wheels FSC38-CM cost USD529 per pair with Bitex hubs,Sapin Cx-ray spoke,
Sapim SILS nipple,20/24holes super light carbon rims with basalt braking surface,1300g+/-30g.

I you might be right that farsport sells newer wheels. I have to check 50mm and even maybe 88 :)
IRONMAN 70,3 TARGET TIME 03:55