Specialized Crankset on another PF30 frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Hi all.

Anyone setup a specialized S-works crankset on a PF30BB ridley X-fire? (Or any PF30 frame?)

I've used these cranks on BB30 frames in the past with no issues. (and the Specialized MTB crank on PF30 frames) However, I seem to be running into problems this time around. I think the carbon spider is too bulky and is rubbing again't the frame and PF30 cup. If I space the DS crank arm out enough to clear, then the NDS arm is too close to the chain stay.

I'm going to mess with it a bit more... but just wanted to see if anyone else was trying this. It's a really light crank with good stiffness. But, if it won't work... it won't work. Perhaps the Aluminum spider is thinner or more relieved on the back side, allowing for the DS arm to be closer to the BB?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Used on a SuperSix Himod without any problems.
Experimental Prototype

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Mind if I ask what spider you used? I think a lot of my problem is from the Specialized carbon spider, which is quite thick. The Aluminum spider gives me at least another MM of space. But it's still tight on this frame.

Knowing you, you probably made your own spider :)

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I took a Sworks road crankset 100% stock and mounted on a SSix, it worked flawless as both run BB30, a SWorks MTB did run on my Anthem Adv SL with a 5mm spacer and First BB30 adapters.

Working with my own XX spider and Ti 35T.

But the first was just bolt on.
Experimental Prototype

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I have used the MTB cranks on BB30 and PF30 bikes for years with no issues.

I have also used the Specialized on BB30 frames with no issue. It seems the PF30 BB cups are the problem. The spider rubs the lip of the cup and the NDS arm's metal support near the spindle rubs the inside of the cup and the lip of the cup (very slightly). The proximity of the thick carbon spider to the DS cup don't allow me to space it further to the NDS.

I actually got it working by machining off the outer portion of the DS PF30 BB cup to gain extra clearance. But, I might have issues with the bearing and cup creeping inward to the NDS, since there is nothing fixing it's position now.

Fun to play with at least.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

cannondale offers pf30 cups that are aluminum and have a very thin, beveled lip. it was part of their package to make power meters fit, before the 2013 revisions. they are starting to put these cups on more of their 2013 bikes, probably bc theyre just nicer and you can reuse the cup.
check it out here
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannondale-SRM-PressFit-BB30-PF30-Bottom-Bracket-Shell-Bearings-Sheilds--KP197SRM_p_480.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com