New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 2011

I was just about to say... judging by the height of the cleats (about 3-4 times thicker than most cleats), I'm sure it would be like trying to stand on two small ice cubes, or maybe like wearing reverse high-heals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

What size bearings are in these things? Bearing life can't be that great...heck it might only have bushings.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Man, these people moaning about walking in them, why don't you just take your shoes off if it's that hard? They're cycling shoes designed for cycling with a cleat engagement, not walking shoes. Why would you wear them walking up stairs to a 2nd floor apartment? That just reeks of slipped broken arm material right there.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, you're right derek! You read what I wrote entirely! Yet such genius from you now!

When I come to a long timed redlight intersection and unclip, I'll be sure to heed your advise and remove my shoes before they so much as touch the pavement. Also, when I walk across my lobby, or anywhere for that matter, I will be sure to take off my shoes.
I'll be sure to pull up to the coffee shop, remove my shoes entirely, and proceed the rest of the time with my friends all without our shoes. Hopefully the soigneurs are quick enough to bring my bike towards me - with my shoes no less - when I am ready to ride. Or else they're fired. Afterall, I've never - ever - seen a PRO Cyclist walk in their shoes even for a moment. They get carried from the bus wearing their socks on their feet directly to their bike where two soigneurs put their shoes on for them while they sit atop the bicycle. Who would expect a shoe to ever be walked in? Are they mad?!?!

... and when I wait for my mates at the top of a climb, they'll find me with my shoes off lounging on a Persian carpet, sipping tea and reading poetry from Omar Khayyam, I dare not ever put the soles of my shoes on any ground, ever, thanks to your sound advice.

:roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

prendrefeu - the way people were going on sounded like they were walking around for ages they way I read it. Stoping at lights etc, of course you're not going to take your shoes off. Stopping at the top of the hill waiting for your friends, of course you're not going to take your shoes off. Coffee shops maybe, maybe not, it depends - I hate walking around in my shoes sliding everywhere at coffee shops nd I take my shoes off. I have seen people fall on their arse from their cleats sliding out from under them walking around at coffee shops and I see other people take their shoes off in coffee shops around here too.

Sorry if it came across as a personal attack, it wasn't meant to be. But if my friend lived 2 floors up I'd take my shoes off instead of walking all munted like in my shoes up the steps.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I understand what you're saying - that sometimes it can be slippery. I found that especially when I used Look-style cleats. Contrarily though Time's RXS cleats are very durable for "walking" in and are designed to minimize the slippery nature of plastic on surfaces, so they aren't slippery at all. Similarly Bebop cleats can be walked in for miles (I actually had to do that once) - in no way is the engagement mechanism ever damaged by walking in them, unlike Speedplays which get damaged no matter what you do. Classic SPD cleats, while very commuter centric, are very walkable as well.

So it isn't too much to seek cleats that do not get damaged when they touch the ground or get mucked up with whatever is on the ground, and it isn't too much to ask for cleats that can be walked in, however minimally, with at least some confidence in stability.

By HammerTime2's post on the previous page, it appears that not only are these cleats hard to walk in ("like ice skates") but they immediately get damaged when they touch the ground, rubber bumper or not.

That's not a good sign.

I hope Caley's review covers the walkability a bit more.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

austke

by austke

[quote="prendrefeu"]

When I come to a long timed redlight intersection and unclip, I'll be sure to heed your advise and remove my shoes before they so much as touch the pavement. Also, when I walk across my lobby, or anywhere for that matter, I will be sure to take off my shoes.
I'll be sure to pull up to the coffee shop, remove my shoes entirely, and proceed the rest of the time with my friends all without our shoes. Hopefully the soigneurs are quick enough to bring my bike towards me - with my shoes no less - when I am ready to ride. Or else they're fired. Afterall, I've never - ever - seen a PRO Cyclist walk in their shoes even for a moment. They get carried from the bus wearing their socks on their feet directly to their bike where two soigneurs put their shoes on for them while they sit atop the bicycle. Who would expect a shoe to ever be walked in? Are they mad?!?!

... and when I wait for my mates at the top of a climb, they'll find me with my shoes off lounging on a Persian carpet, sipping tea and reading poetry from Omar Khayyam, I dare not ever put the soles of my shoes on any ground, ever, thanks to your sound advice.

Roll Eyes

8) :up: That would be nice, lol.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:By HammerTime2's post on the previous page, it appears that not only are these cleats hard to walk in ("like ice skates") but they immediately get damaged when they touch the ground, rubber bumper or not.
Don't forget this part of the quote from the article I linked "Beidleman says rubber bumpers to the thermoplastic cleat are in the works". So perhaps you should hang tight and keep using Time RXS (and suffer the WW shame of "heavy" pedals and cleats) while waiting to see what transpires with the rubber bumpers. Why are you concluding that the cleats will get damaged from the ground when they have rubber bumpers? Perhaps you should withhold judgment on that pending development and testing of the cleats with rubber bumpers.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

They haven't tested if they will release in an accident! That is all I needed to read of the BikeRadar review. Wait 'till their company attorney finds that out!
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

frisbie17

by frisbie17

After riding Speed play X series pedals for a year. No way I will ever go back to a pair of fix float pedals. Just my two cents. My knees and ankles would never forgive me.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Guys, all these considerations are but trivialities to the true WW. Just install the pedals on your bike, take the damn scale shot and obligatory picture of the bike in the big ring leaning against a white garage door, then swap out for the pedals you'll actually ride with (and tires and ...) and ride your damn bike. If it makes you feel better, you can mount the cleats just to say that it was a real configuration, then immediately swap back to the cleats for the pedals you actually ride.

See, none of those other things matter now, do they?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Yea! and we can all buy one par and mail them around so nobody will have to have $450 tied up in pedals they can't use.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

yourdaguy wrote:Yea! and we can all buy one par and mail them around so nobody will have to have $450 tied up in pedals they can't use.

We could all chip in $2 each for a set for the board to share around! :beerchug:

VNTech

by VNTech

I rode them twice today (lunch ride and after work girlfriend ride). The clip-in and -out movement was very difficult at first, but is much easier already. No tip overs yet. It feels just as difficult as my SPDs did when I first tried them so many moons ago.

Walking is not a whole lot worse than a speedplay cleat, to be honest. Awkward, clackity, and they try to roll your ankles. But I haven't eaten it yet.

Engagement is good, very solid, platform feels fine. You can kind of roll your foot outwards to unclip, so I'm pretty certain that you'd eject in a crash.

Long story short: I need a hell of a lot more time on them, and there will certainly be certain tradeoffs for that weight, but as of now I quite like them. A few tweaks and they could be really, really good.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

timzcat

by timzcat

VNTech wrote:... after work girlfriend ride).

You need clipless pedals for that ride? :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com