anyone here regret their parlee?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dchesrown

by dchesrown

I had a Z5 built that weighed mid 11lbs. Did not like it at all, worked with it for a year to try to like it rode it over 6000 miles. Bike Just felt sluggish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

I've had my custom Z3 for almost 5 years. It's been under me as I've progressed from a new cat 5 racer to a jaded cat 2 masters rider. It does everything I ask of it...and does it well.

I once rolled up behind a guy with a Parlee on a local climb. I heard him bitching and moaning about his custom frame to his buddies while I was within listening range. I soon rolled up to him and said, "My Parlee is great, but then, that's because I knew exactly what I wanted and they built it perfectly. Perhaps you didn't know what you wanted and were unclear. Your loss." I rode up the hill with a smirk on my face.

My next treat for the Parlee is to send it back for a re-paint. It's taken a beating on the clearcoat from all the racing and it's time to give it some TLC.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Very happy with Z4. I have lots of titanium, alloy and carbon bikes, all Record 10. Z4 is the do-it-all bike.

It is also a bike that I am happy thrashing in the rain and snow - go figure. My Cervelo is lovingly kept dry, but the Z4 wants to be used.

I think it really is the one to rule them all.

shillc

by shillc

Currently ride a 2008 Z1.
I was sold on the in depth review on Pezcyclingnews and have nothing but praise for its design.

It is a pleasure to ride and does everything exceptionally well.
I have ridden many great frames over the years and Parlee matches or exceeds all characteristics that I require out of a frame.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not to mention the thread that was on here about some of their drop outs that had unbonded, every one of them was repaired without a single fuss raised.

Parlee's customer service deserves a :thumbup:

by 2011

dchesrown wrote:I had a Z5 built that weighed mid 11lbs. Did not like it at all, worked with it for a year to try to like it rode it over 6000 miles. Bike Just felt sluggish.

I'd take this comment with a grain of salt. Could possibly just be YOU that's sluggish, not the bike. If it's the bikes fault, it could be a poor fit and setup. Could be the low PSI tires, etc. A million different things besides the frame that makes one feel "sluggish"

Anyway... I ride a Z4 and *f##k* love it. Best bike I've ever owned. I'd really like to upgrade to a Z5 some day.

Usually when you see Parlee's for sale on Ebay... it's because the person upgraded to another Parlee, or got in a bad money situation and needed the bucks. If you seem them for sale in shops for long periods of time... it's because Parlee is really a high-end boutique builder. It's not the type of bike someone just walks off the street into a shop and buys, hoping it's the exact size, color and model they want. A shop would be quite foolish to have a large stock of Parlee frames, I feel.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What is it with bikes these days? I've noticed that bikes are getting more sluggish every year. Slower acceleration and top end speed is proof positive of that. I'd demand a refund from Parlee, but I don't have one, and I'm not going to buy one, because I'm sure it would be even more sluggish than my current bike. Oh, and my old bikes are getting more sluggish too - I guess they don't age well.

drewb

by drewb

2011 wrote:dchesrown wrote:
I had a Z5 built that weighed mid 11lbs. Did not like it at all, worked with it for a year to try to like it rode it over 6000 miles. Bike Just felt sluggish.

I'd take this comment with a grain of salt. Could possibly just be YOU that's sluggish, not the bike. If it's the bikes fault, it could be a poor fit and setup. Could be the low PSI tires, etc. A million different things besides the frame that makes one feel "sluggish"

Why attack the above comment? It was stated as an opinion and now without any evidence at all you are stating that the opinion is invalid. Feel free to refute opinions when the evidence is wrong, but not when it is stated as a personal preference - it is mean and looks stupid. My opinion.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

HammerTime2 wrote:What is it with bikes these days? I've noticed that bikes are getting more sluggish every year. Slower acceleration and top end speed is proof positive of that. I'd demand a refund from Parlee, but I don't have one, and I'm not going to buy one, because I'm sure it would be even more sluggish than my current bike. Oh, and my old bikes are getting more sluggish too - I guess they don't age well.

Laughing my ass off!
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

... that said...

When I got my z5sl, it was after a bit of time off the bike after my SuperSix got into a fight with a dodge durango. Needless to say, she didn't win and I was caught in the carnage. Feeling a bit out of riding shape I was nonetheless excited as all hell to take the parlee on her maiden voyage.

My first reaction was, "crap! did I just make a really costly mistake?"

I got a great deal on the parlee and couldn't say no though I had never even laid a finger on one.

The difference between the parlee and the supersix was quite noticeable. The sensations were completely different and I felt slow and sluggish compared to the cannondale. One thing I loved (and admittedly still miss a little bit) is how connected the Susi felt to the road. You knew exactly how fast you were going. It felt stiff and harsh, but handle like it was on rails.

On the parlee that first day, I was about to chalk it up to condition, then I looked at the computer. Despite having been off the bike, I was riding significantly faster than I previously would on the same route. While I chalk that speed that day up to some sort of "new bike adrenaline", what can't be overlooked is how much more comfortable I was after that ride than previously. While I loved that cannondale "sensation", it beat me the hell up.

To this day, there is a little part of me that misses that harsh ride of my Susi, but then again, there is a little masochist in me. And after a year on the Parlee, I can honestly say you couldn't pry it off of my dead cold feet. The bike has a tuned comfort, but damn... push it and it will go! It really does have the best qualities from both ends of the spectrum and when it comes to handling... I thought the susi was the best handling bike I had ever ridden... until the Parlee. This is a bike you can ride any time, any distance, as hard as you can and it will act accordingly and consistently.

The susi was a balls out fast feeling bike... stiff as hell and you knew it. the parlee is a way more "refined" ride. It really is something you need to spend some time on to appreciate it.

But that said, I can see how it isn't for everyone.
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

kgt

by kgt

Since I have never ridden one, what do you think makes a Parlee frame so special? Is it the lugged construction? Its carbon quality? Its tubes dimensions? I would really like someone try to name or describe it cause I cannot see any special technology in it and I do not believe in "magic recipes".

mrfish

by mrfish

I don't believe in magic either. I think it's to do with a few things:

- Starting with a clear vision, values and talented people
- Sensible, middle of the road design policy, not aimed at winning a Tour magazine stiffness test
- Aggregation of details which are designed to make a better bike
- Focused work and refinement over time to get the details right
- Not having a marketing department and attempting to build a new bike every year
- Working with a limited number of dealers to maximise the probability that the bike is right for the rider

I was impressed by the fact that the Z4 consistently got outstanding reviews from all testers, and very few bikes I've seen achieved that. Then when I visited the dealer I could borrow the bike for 2 weeks, making it a no-risk purchase. So other bikes may be better, but I did not have the time or inclination to try to test them all.

I can only suggest borrowing one from a Parlee dealer over a weekend so you can draw your own conclusions. But don't do it if you are not prepared to buy one.

kgt

by kgt

I know all that. I respect and I really try to support smaller companies, which are value-driven, in every way.

I just want someone to try to explain the technology that makes those frames so special. Geometry is something very important as we know from Colnago ang the Italian school in general. But geometry can be copied, it is more experience than technology. So what is the technology that makes a Parlee so special? Because if there is not such technology then what is it?

bricky21

by bricky21

The question you need to ask is how a lot of these fancy marketed technologies in a lot of current frames make them better than Parlee, or anything else for that matter. The answer is they don't. Parlee knows that which is why they don't bother with those gimmicks. Many of us respect that and wish more company's would take the same approach. (on the other hand many don't and they seek out the latest tubeshapes and proprietary energy transfer technologies developed in the aerospace industry) Parlee is a great balance between weight, stiffness, ride quality, aesthetics, and workmanship all adding up to great value. When you have a foundation like that you don't need to rely on anything else to sell your frames. Add in the incredible customer service(I've experienced it first hand) and you end up with loyal customers who don't regret their purchase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dchesrown

by dchesrown

2011 wrote:
dchesrown wrote:I had a Z5 built that weighed mid 11lbs. Did not like it at all, worked with it for a year to try to like it rode it over 6000 miles. Bike Just felt sluggish.

Anyway... I ride a Z4 and *f##k* love it. Best bike I've ever owned. I'd really like to upgrade to a Z5 some day.

Usually when you see Parlee's for sale on Ebay... it's because the person upgraded to another Parlee, or got in a bad money situation and needed the bucks. If you seem them for sale in shops for long periods of time... it's because Parlee is really a high-end boutique builder. It's not the type of bike someone just walks off the street into a shop and buys, hoping it's the exact size, color and model they want. A shop would be quite foolish to have a large stock of Parlee frames, I feel.

No need to get personal No I don't feel sluggish. My New R5CA is Sublime and has way more snap than the Parlee. I think the Parlee was built for a different demographic that did not fit the bill for me, you come off to me like one of those guys that post on Apple fan boy web sites quick to defend what they use as the end all be all and everyone else is just wrong. He asked for an opinion I gave mine. Oh yea I left this off my first post it held way less value than a comparable Cervelo R5(not the CA)