New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 2011

Found a video of clipping/unclipping. Seems pretty secure. Maybe even TOO secure, in the event of a crash or having to unclip in an emergency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Bz67oI ... e=youtu.be

VNTech

by VNTech

Neglected to mention this in the little writeup (will go into detail when we finish up the full review), but you can change the spring and thus the release tension. They have a heavier spring available. In theory you could also do a bit of tuning there, Ti spring perhaps or some modification of the outer barrel...
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raxerbke

by raxerbke

Friends company.
These pedals are the real deal and a great product.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/ ... als_238483

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The perfect WW pedal!

That said I reckon it would take me a few years to be comfortable with the “down-out”, ”in-up” clipping action.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

With its titanium axle, the Cirrus has a rider weight limit of 200 pounds.

That will rule out a bunch of WW on here. :lol:

The cleat platform is a bit small.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I can't blame you because both your thread and the other one had subject titles without the product's name in it.
But there's already a thread on this.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107093
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

That will rule out a bunch of WW on here.

When the Israeli cruise missile shaped shit (with a made in the USA stencil) hit's the Iranian nuclear facility (with made in China stencil)shaped fan and you're shivering in the cold nuclear winter us fatties will remind you of that :P

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Caley, any chance your review will also cover the durability and walkability of the cleats?

One thing I've always hated about Speedplay (among many things, actually) is that you need covers over the cleats if you're going to be on them walking around even for a little bit. Similarly walking around Aerolites would damage the cleat...
But not so for Time RXS, for example.

BmanX

by BmanX

OK I have to ask how much walking do you really do in cycling shoes. I barely do any.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I don't think so. :lol: :smartass:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not that much - I'm not talking about walking miles and miles in one go, but even small bits of walking are cumulative damage to the cleats.

Small bits of walking:
-post ride coffee with friends
-going up or downstairs (one riding buddy lives in a 2nd floor apartment but we use his stairs to get in and out. Stairs are old wood, his driveway is rough gravel)
-standing on the cleats while ride buddies fix their punctures (or whatever else)
-or sometimes just standing on some rough patch of shoulder at the top of a climb while I wait for other riders to catch up (on social rides, for example).
-in my case, I currently need to walk a bit before hitting the road as I live in a condo. Leave door, walk down hallway (outdoor hallway, not cushy carpet and frankly it's quite tactile, head into elevator, walk a bit through lobby before leaving building - and the hallway has marble floors, so it can be slippery)

It all adds up and it would be good to know if the cleats on a typical floor are like walking with ice-skates on or if they are relatively stable, and by standing on them would I be damaging the cleats?

You may not be actually walking per se but the small instances of putting a cleat's body against rough or uneven ground is cumulative damage. That's the point of what I'm asking - how 'walkable' are they?

antifocus

by antifocus

I want to see some photos of their float cleat.

artray

by artray

Feels like they have not quite got the product finished. I would not pay that much for some pedals until I know they will work well and last . I do feel like that they are taking advantage of the WW who will try anything to save a bit of weight . I think theres to many question marks . Maybe in a year when they have been tried and tested but im not paying to be a guinea pig.

Estelja

by Estelja

Since the portion of the cleat that you walk on doesn't interface with the pedal you could easily glue on some protection if you'll be walking a lot. Shoe Goo, strip of old tube, furniture bumpers, etc..

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

In http://pitchengine.com/ultralitesports/ ... the-market , former Garmin-Slipstream ProTour rider Will Frischkorn wrote:However, it’s the lower rotational weight, the ride quality and the increased power transfer the pedals deliver that really makes them special.
Increased power transfer? Really? Vs. what?

Perhaps a rider/reviewer quote would have more credibility if not so obviously exaggerated. Hey, they're light (have low rotational weight) - now that's believable.

As for prendrefeu's questions about walkability, etc.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/u ... dal-35237/ wrote:Price aside, the primary obstacle for Ultralite’s pedals gaining acceptance is the markedly different clip-in/out method. While Beidleman and Emerson say the learning curve is short, we found ourselves grabbing onto cars at traffic intersections when we were unable to pop out at stoplights. The company has not tested disengagement in the event of a crash, and we were not inclined to do so either.

Other drawbacks from the cleat design follow — walking on the narrow cleat feels much like walking on an ice skate. And while Beidleman says rubber bumpers to the thermoplastic cleat are in the works, the plastic showed wear from walking after just one use. As with Speedplays, getting mud or grit into the cleat can affect engagement.
Sign me up, LOL. Well, at least if I want a good scale shot to impress people on this site,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com