Speedplay Ti upgrades

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

odin99

by odin99

drmutley wrote:
ECT wrote:
This is quite incorrect... The needle bearings are EASILY replaceable in less than a few minutes, and for less than a few dollars... Unless the pedal has done alot of miles, it's not the needle bearings that usually cause the grainy feel when swapping out spindles. Having said that, given it costs about $6 for a needle bearing, and 2 cartridge bearings, it's would be wise just to spend a few minutes and replace the lot when putting in new spindles...

where can you find these? All is see is the $24 full bearing replacement kit on ebay (which isn't a bad price)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ECT

by ECT

drmutley wrote:
ECT wrote:
kya wrote:Sorry for digging up a month old thread, but I've just replaced my spindles and got similar issues as someone else earlier in the thread.

I picked up a set of Ward Ti spindles and the left pedal/spindle works excellent. However, the right pedal is really quite tight and "gritty" with the Ti spindle installed. I've since switched it back and forth between the Ti and the stock cromo spindle several times, and the issue always goes away with the stock spindles. I've tried regreasing and I have a new set of bearings on the way, but I don't really expect the bearings to fix anything considering there's no issue with the stock spindles.

I've sent Ward an email, but haven't gotten a response yet. Any one have any ideas on what the issue might be/how to fix?

As I posted earlier, if you have many miles on the pedals it would be a good idea to replace the plastic body's, which house the non-replaceable needle bearings. When I replaced my Stainless spindles for Ti, I noticed notching in the stock spindles, and it became apparent that the needle bearings had seized. The replaceable cartridge bearings were fine, even after 20,000 miles.

This is quite incorrect... The needle bearings are EASILY replaceable in less than a few minutes, and for less than a few dollars... Unless the pedal has done alot of miles, it's not the needle bearings that usually cause the grainy feel when swapping out spindles. Having said that, given it costs about $6 for a needle bearing, and 2 cartridge bearings, it's would be wise just to spend a few minutes and replace the lot when putting in new spindles...

kya wrote:
motorthings wrote:i had the same experience, but got the new bearings, and it fixed the grainy feeling. i needed to replace the o-ring too on the same side, since the old one was stretchy and let too much grease out.

I never did receive a response from Ward, but I just tried the new bearings and it did indeed fix the issue. That makes absolutely no sense to me since the original bearings worked fine when I switched back to the stock spindles, but hey if it works, it works. Thanks for the tip on the bearings.

Just spend 3$ and replace the cartridge bearings... Will fix the problem (as u have seen)... Even with new pedals some of the cartridge bearings will be "mated" to the original spindle, resulting in a grainy feel when put in the ti spindle... Tolerances are precise hence why swapping spindles can result in the grainy feeling .....

I meant to say by the time you need to replace the needle bearings, the pedal body's themselves would probably need replacing, and would come pre-installed in a new set.

ECT

by ECT

odin99 wrote:
drmutley wrote:
ECT wrote:

where can you find these? All is see is the $24 full bearing replacement kit on ebay (which isn't a bad price)

It wouldn't be hard to find that exact size bearing at a store specializing in bearings, or so I have heard from other people who have replaced them. I just used the stock Speedplay version, the mechanic who helped me replace mine threw them in for free. :D

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Has anyone replaced the bowtie insert on a light action model? I want to make this upgrade; however, I am not sure if I need the zero or x model for light action. Any help would be great. Thanks

drmutley

by drmutley

Jwhelan939 wrote:Has anyone replaced the bowtie insert on a light action model? I want to make this upgrade; however, I am not sure if I need the zero or x model for light action. Any help would be great. Thanks

I would think the zero BT is what u would be after...