Feedback Required - Kask Vertigo / Mojito Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Been checking out the Kask Vertigo and mojito helmets. Looked at the marketing hype, Just wondered how they feel and perform on the road. Cheers Guys.

haydos

by haydos

I've got both and prefer the Mojito. It fits my big head better and is lighter. It also does not have the gel like tabs at the back which fall off eventually anyway. Ventilation is ok on both but not as good as a prevail etc.

I've never owned helmets that fit me as well as these kask's. They just feel so secure on your head.

Now if only I could get a Matte Black Majito just like Cav's...
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lafolie

by Lafolie

haydos wrote:I've got both and prefer the Mojito. It fits my big head better and is lighter. It also does not have the gel like tabs at the back which fall off eventually anyway. Ventilation is ok on both but not as good as a prevail etc.

I've never owned helmets that fit me as well as these kask's. They just feel so secure on your head.

Now if only I could get a Matte Black Majito just like Cav's...

Thanks my friend......I see they are now doing a special black version/World Champion ! :-) Apparently the stickers remove with ease! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-mojito-roa ... pion-2012/

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I have a vertigo, and it fits well on my oval shaped head. Only problem I have with it is that it is difficult to fit glasses under the straps/retention system.

madmole

by madmole

I wear a Vertigo. Love the fit, none of my old Giro's are as secure. my silicon gel pads are still attached after a year and I have no problems wearing my glasses under the straps (sorry Velominati)

I also love the winter hood liner, its waterproof, very breathable and comfy in winter. i even have the clip on visor for really sunny days (Sorry Velominati again!)

vents well in summer and is soo light you truly forget your wearing it. The nappa leather starp is so soft you dont notice it at all even when pulled fairly tight

All in all I dont regret paying the extra for it and would replace it with the same model in an instant
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

My issue with the glasses is not really with the straps per se but with the plastic part that comes down in the back. Put the glasses under, and they're tight and distort my view/vision. Put them over and they stretch the glasses and are insecure and might pop off my head. The only way I've gotten it to work is to run the back plastic part super low and put the legs of the glasses underneath, but I still find that somewhat tight and uncomfortable and my glasses stay pegged in one position and don't move with my face when I'm grimacing on the climbs.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Also giros are for round heads. They don't fit me either. If you want a Giro-like helmet that would probably fit better, try a Bell. The only helmet I have that fits me better and is more comfortable than the Kask is a Rudy Sterling.

madmole

by madmole

Interesting Silvercivic, my glasses are come nowhere near the plastic rear fitting straps. But they dont have uber long straight arms like some, they actually curve down around my ears so stay out of the way
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Maybe that's the issue. I wear Oakleys (jawbones and Flak jackets) that have long straight fat legs.

bontie

by bontie

I have the C50 and have seriously considered getting a Mojito.
They are very well made and I find the fit awesome. Combined with Rudy Project and its slim and adjustable earpieces, they work a charm... As for the gel pads coming loose, I have glued those back a few times, and it seems to work out allright.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

silvercivic27 wrote:Maybe that's the issue. I wear Oakleys (jawbones and Flak jackets) that have long straight fat legs.

When I tried on a Kask Mojito today had the exact same problem, I wear Oakley Radars. I think its Oakleys arm design that doesnt work well with Kask
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

nickalas

by nickalas

hey guys

I'd like to know how or even IF Jawbones will fit in either of these helmets, when not on your eyes. I always put my jawbones upside down in the front vents of my Ionos, and this functionality is crucial for my next helmet purchase.

thanks!

sluggo

by sluggo

I've just bought a (Mojoto size L, 260g) and the fit is amazing for my large round shaped head! The retention system provides a really secure and comfortable fit but as others have said the retention system will be problematic for many glasses. I have Rudy Project Genetyk glasses with slim ear pieces that tuck behid the ears well and don't cause a problem but i can't imagine how an Oakley Radar for example will work.

The Mojito helmets worn by the Sky team look to have an adapted/custom retention system to accomodate Oakleys and are not the same as the retail version. Certainly Cav's version i saw on the Sky Atlantic documentary on the Sky team called 'Road to Glory' showed a different (lighter weight?) retention system which was less intrusive round the back of the ears.

The look is definitely compact too not mushroom heads here.

Overall a great helmet if it works for your glasses.

Incdentally the Laser Genesis i tried was a quality lid too but didn't work for my head shape. Too tight on the temples and never felt secure like the Mojito. Maybe better for oval heads...

I also have a Bell Sweep R which fits great but sits so deep that it impacts on the top of my glasses. Good for the commute though.

sluggo

by sluggo

Should have also said my Rudy Genetyks fit in the vents perfectly when not in use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

sluggo wrote:I've just bought a (Mojoto size L, 260g) and the fit is amazing for my large round shaped head! The retention system provides a really secure and comfortable fit but as others have said the retention system will be problematic for many glasses. I have Rudy Project Genetyk glasses with slim ear pieces that tuck behid the ears well and don't cause a problem but i can't imagine how an Oakley Radar for example will work.

The Mojito helmets worn by the Sky team look to have an adapted/custom retention system to accomodate Oakleys and are not the same as the retail version. Certainly Cav's version i saw on the Sky Atlantic documentary on the Sky team called 'Road to Glory' showed a different (lighter weight?) retention system which was less intrusive round the back of the ears.

The look is definitely compact too not mushroom heads here.

Overall a great helmet if it works for your glasses.

Incdentally the Laser Genesis i tried was a quality lid too but didn't work for my head shape. Too tight on the temples and never felt secure like the Mojito. Maybe better for oval heads...

I also have a Bell Sweep R which fits great but sits so deep that it impacts on the top of my glasses. Good for the commute though.

Noticed that too about Cav's helmet. All the Sky guys wearing Oakley's and Kask's is something that bothered me for a while because I couldn't figure out how the glasses were fitting them correctly. Finally noticed that the retention parts seem to be better shaped for Oakley's like you said
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend