Questions on Training Routines @ (Tape,Devinci,KH1)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jersland

by Jersland

I recently aquired a quarq pm and the book training and racing with a pm. Ive done the 20min power tests as well as the power profile test. Based on my testing results I need to focus on raising my FTP and 5 min power. At first I found it difficult to gauge my effort for 20 minutes on the trainer and after 3 weeks i decided to do another test which i feel i paced myself a lot better raising my FTP by 23 watts. Ive taken some advice on training routines from this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78810 and im very thankful for the input from the various memebers that contributed to the post. Heres some of the workouts ive applied.

Mon- 10min warm up
4x30sec/30off
4min rest
4x30sec/30off

Tues- 10min warm up
5x5min @ 105% ftp

Wed- 2 x20 @ ftp

Thurs - Pyramid routine @105-110% ftp

Fri- off

Sat- fast group ride

Sun- Steady 3hr tempo ride

My question is at the time duration of the workouts which are about an hour and the time spent in the target zones is this enough to tax my body to get the adaption to raise my FTP ? I complete a workout and feel like i put in a hard effort but im not completely depleted. Basically I want to make sure im doing the right workouts to get the most out of my investment in my time and in my power meter.

Thanks
Justin

devinci

by devinci

A well conducted workout doesnt mean you need to feel trashed every time. Sometimes you will feel more burned then other, especially when you have accumulated a bit of fatigue in the week prior. Hitting target numbers and having a hard workout means it was a good workout, even though you feel fresh afterward.

your scedhule looks decent but I'd suspect you'll need more recovery in the long term. Looks like you're doing a bit of everything there. Maybe I'd change the sunday 3h steady tempo for something easier.

You could also think about periodising your scedhule a bit. General guidelines I would say:

block 1: for a few weeks
the anaerobics 4 x 30 once a week
2 x 20 at 95-100% FTP twice a week
one or two long ride

block 2: for a few weeks
the anaerobics 4 x 30 once every two weeks
2 x 20 @ 95-100% FTP once a week
5 x 5min
one or two long ride

you're on the right track, basically, all the training you'll do will help you, but pay attention to proper recovery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ concur.

I would also add that regular testing is essential for checking performance gain. This can be incorporated as training but keep in mind not every interval is a test.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Jersland

by Jersland

Regular testing recommended in Racing and Training with a power meter is every 6-8 weeks. Should I adhere to that schedule of testing or test more regularly? This is my second year racing and a first for having a structured training program, any idea what kind of gains I should be seeing by sticking to a structured training program ?

Justin

devinci

by devinci

kind of gains? No idea, quite hard to estimate, depends on training load, recovery and what you respond well to.

6-8 weeks seems ok to me.

Jersland

by Jersland

Question for you guys : Are the Tabata interval efforts enough for above threshold efforts to simulate attacks and covering breaks etc? From what im finding is that my FTP is going up but im suffering on the hard accelerations or efforts of working in a hard break away. Any ideas?

Justin

devinci

by devinci

yeah tabatas could be good. Over/under threshold intervals too.

I like doing some micro-bursts within my 20min efforts, not too hard, it helps getting used to rythm changes then going back at threshold effort.

You could also try other micro intervals such as 30/30, 20/40, 15/45. Block of 10 min, repeat 2-3 times. ON portion being very hard, OFF portion bein very easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KH1

by KH1

Do you have any 10 minute plus climbs in your area? I am guessing if you are in Florida probably not. If you can find long climbs of 10 minutes or more you can do repeats on them. I can't categorically say that road vs trainer for these types of repeats is better but it sure is more enjoyable (If hill climbing can ever be enjoyable). Failing that I used a climbers 2x20 set and 45 minute set to train for the Alps when the weather was crap and found quite good gains in FTP there as well.

The best gains I ever had for 5 minute power came from TW's over under workouts. See the cut and paste below;

Climbers 2 x 20
10 min warm up build towards E3
5min @ 95% FTP @ ~95RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 100% FTP @ ~90RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 105% FTP @ ~85RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 110%% FTP @ ~80RPM
5min Recovery then repeat
5-10min warm down

Climbers 45min long climb effort
10 min warm up build towards E3
5min @ 85% FTP @ ~100RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 95% FTP @ ~95RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 100% FTP @ ~90RPM then change up 1 gear
8min @ 105% FTP @ ~85RPM then change up 1 gear
7min @ 110% FTP @ ~80RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 115% FTP @ ~70-75RPM then change up 1 gear
5min @ 115% FTP @ ~65-70RPM then change down 1 gear
1min @ 115% FTP @ ~70-75RPM then change down 1 gear
1min @ 110% FTP @ ~80RPM then change down 1 gear
1min @ 105% FTP @ ~85RPM then change down 1 gear
1min @ 100% FTP @ ~90RPM then change down 1 gear
1min @ 95% FTP @ ~95RPM then change down 1 gear
5-10 min warm down

One that Tapeworm gave me in another thread - I wouldn't call it a favourite (It is vomit inducing) but it certainly gets results.

For me (with a PM) this routine is done at 170% FTP on and at FTP off. TW called it an over under routine - since there are so many variations of this type of routine I'm calling it System Overload. I'm sure TW can add any comments to it if he sees I have left anything out.
The way to figure out what gear to use if you don't have a PM is to find a gear that you can hold for 1 minute @ 90RPM - this is your 'on' gear. If you can keep going at the end of 1 minute or can't make the 1 minute you have the wrong gear.
You will do the 'work' part of this set at 95RPM on and 90RPM off. Each set (There are 2) is done in the following manner - 30seconds on @ 95RPM change back 1 gear for 30 seconds off @ 90RPM. (The 90RPM should be around your FTP - it is for me at least)

This Routine takes 38 - 40 mins depending on how many repetitions you do.

10min warm up
4x or 5x 30sec on 30sec off
10min Recovery
4x or 5x 30sec on 30sec off
10min Recovery/Warm down
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0