New Red crank info, must read! :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

timzcat wrote:Is anyone actually using the pedal washers. Combined they are only about 1.5mm but that's just more Q-factor.
So long as my pedal shafts fit within the aluminum part I think I am leaving them out.

You don't need it unless you have metal to carbon contact without it. I removed mine and yes there was a slight improvement in Q factor (and weight).

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

timzcat wrote:Is anyone actually using the pedal washers. Combined they are only about 1.5mm but that's just more Q-factor.
So long as my pedal shafts fit within the aluminum part I think I am leaving them out.

You don't need it unless you have metal to carbon contact without it. I removed mine and yes there was a slight improvement in Q factor (and weight).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So nice he said it twice!

timzcat

by timzcat

That's what I figured their reasoning was.

For a 172.5 50/34 mine also weighed in at 523g with Red Rings which some one else reported so at least thier weights are consistent. I am so far impressed with the cranks but have not ridden them. I also used HSC bearings I managed to pick up for cheap. They are a ceramic hybrid (BB30) that out of the box spin nicely so far I am impressed with them. If all goes well I may replace the BB on my good bike with and HSC BB.

I have also found these cranks as low as $335 for 53/39. I am suprised at how cheap they are.

jooo

by jooo

wassertreter wrote:Edit: Now I'm wondering if there are chances to use a custom Ti spindle with the GXP crank.

How do you intend to change a spindle that's bonded into the crank arm? :|

jjones

by jjones

I got the new red crank and ordered up my praxis rings - I neglected to look at the new red crank to realize the location of the ring holes on the spider. Since I didn't realize the difference on new red, I just told the salesperson I need rings for "Sram Red."

With the new spider you cannot line up pin up with the crank arm using the praxis rings I have.

I'll check with Praxis tomorrow, just figured I would check here tonight to see if there rings for the new red crank....

Thanks,
jj

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That's already been covered in this thread, multiple times.
You can use the Praxis chainrings just fine.
Read the thread. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jjones

by jjones

yeah, I feel stupid. I scanned it the first time so quickly I only remembered the q factor issue at the end - a re-read proved helpful!

bluhorizan

by bluhorizan

Great info in this thread. I just bought a Cannondale EVO with Sram Red group and crankset. The red group appears to be the 2011 group and not the latest 2012. Guess the stock bikes came with that equipment package.
Was looking to upgrade to Cannondale Hollowgram crankset. What is the consensus of recommendations? : 1) 2011 Sram red crankset with Praxis chainrings? 2) Swap out for 2012 Sram red crankset with Praxis rings? 3) Still go for Cannondale Hollowgram crankset now or wait for 2013 version? Also I've heard that 2012 Sram Red derailleur is a worthwhile upgrade over my current bike.
Worth changing?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Red Quarq is 789g on my scales (175mm GXP 53/39), Praxis rings on the way.
Annoyingly it is just the S975 crank with the spider positioned such that one bolt is hidden but not part of the arm. Which means taking the arm off to change chainrings - which rather defeats one of the advantages of the Mercury spider (that it doesn't care about changing rings and can fit a TT ring thanks to the smaller battery).

So the advantages of the new Red crank don't apply to the Quarq model - it's just made to be cosmetically similar (though it will drop a lot of weight and improve accuracy compared to the P2M it is replacing.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Rotor Q rings on my standard BB30 exogram crank without any issue at all :thumbup:

535 grams including cadence magnet

Lejeune

by Lejeune

Just installed standard 172.5 mm GPX Exogram + 53-39 Q-rings = 573 grams.
Works with Ultegra Di2 front derailleur ok.

lotushiast

by lotushiast

Hello,

my compact BB30 175mm came in comlete with spacers 522 gramm.
Still wait for an Stronglight 50er.

Harald.

mate

by mate

Hi guys,
please tell me if Praxis 52/36 semi-compact rings, http://shop.praxis-works.com/52-36-Blac ... 6-0001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , will work with my SRAM RED QUARQ compact. The guy from Quarq sad yes, the guy from Praxis say no.

PRAXIS
If it's the new 2012 RED with their proprietary mounting, no.
If it's older RED that is a traditional 5arm BCD, then yes.

Thanks!

THE PRAXIS TEAM

QUARQ

Tony,
PRAXIS 110BCD will work with compact?

Yes, they should work on the Quarq.

When work, what should be done?

thanks

deek

by deek

cyclenutnz wrote:Red Quarq is 789g on my scales (175mm GXP 53/39), Praxis rings on the way.
Annoyingly it is just the S975 crank with the spider positioned such that one bolt is hidden but not part of the arm. Which means taking the arm off to change chainrings - which rather defeats one of the advantages of the Mercury spider (that it doesn't care about changing rings and can fit a TT ring thanks to the smaller battery).

You don't have to take off the arm to change the chainrings. The nut behind the arm is knurled so it can't rotate when you loosen the bolt from the other side.

mate wrote:Hi guys,
please tell me if Praxis 52/36 semi-compact rings will work with my SRAM RED QUARQ compact. The guy from Quarq sad yes, the guy from Praxis say no.

It will work, but your catch pin will be rotated 180 degrees from where it normally is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com