CHALLENGE ROAD CRITERIUM 700x22 TUBULAR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

For what it's worth, I ride the criterium clinchers, both front and rear. To my understanding the exact same tire as the tubular from the middle up. As new, poor grip, and take more time to break in than Michelins, Schwalbes, etc. But then the grip is awesome, easily the likes of Ultremo, Pro3, etc. And I push corners.

I would reckon break in period on these is some 200 miles or so... So don't expect grip from them as new.

Sorry for posting clincher-answers in a tubbie-thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Ok, maybe. But the longest lived of mine four lasted for 70 km...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As new, poor grip, and take more time to break in than Michelins, Schwalbes, etc. But then the grip is awesome, easily the likes of Ultremo, Pro3, etc. And I push corners.

That points to there probably being some mould release (or some protection against rot perhaps) being left on the tyres as they leave the factory.

Washing the brandnew tyre with a 1/3 solution of vinegar and water should improve things noticeably.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

fdegrove wrote:Washing the brandnew tyre with a 1/3 solution of vinegar and water should improve things noticeably.
Does that (vinegar) risk compromising the integrity of the tubular to base tape bond if any gets to the edge of the sidewall and base tape?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I remember seeing a FDJ mechanic scraping a razor blade over a riders new tyres prior to the start of a crit here in oz, to get the waxy coating off...they were slicks so no doubt this wouldn't be done on file tread tyres...

Giant DK

by Giant DK

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

As new, poor grip, and take more time to break in than Michelins, Schwalbes, etc. But then the grip is awesome, easily the likes of Ultremo, Pro3, etc. And I push corners.

That points to there probably being some mould release (or some protection against rot perhaps) being left on the tyres as they leave the factory.

Washing the brandnew tyre with a 1/3 solution of vinegar and water should improve things noticeably.

Ciao, ;)

I do that trick to all of my new tires - I think I'm just superstitious as I as a young rider was told be a old world champion that this trick made the tire more punchture proof :D

When I lost the grip on my tubulars they were more than 1000 km old so I my case I would say the were broken in. The thing is I also find Vittoria Corsa Evo CX a bit slippery i wet condition but they are constant a bit slippery so you adjust your riding style to this. They are predictable. Whereas I actually found the Challenge okay but all of a sudden you just totally looses the grib. I have never before and after noticed such a behavior with any other tire/tubular. It was like you could push them to a surdent degree but beyond that limit you just can't trust them. And that's a big problem in a race!
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II