Stepping down from a S-Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aserota

by aserota

Hi all,

I've been away from cycling for the best part of 6 months, after cycling 200 miles a week for the previous few years. I recently sold my S-Works Tarmac SL3 and have limited funds to pickup a replacement. I'm looking to pickup a new or used roadbike for under £800 (or £1,000 if needed) that wont feel awful to ride compared with previous bikes. I have been spoiled previously with bikes (Canyon SLX, SL3, DA7900....) but want the make the best of my budget with something 'exciting' to ride.

Any useful advice?

blantonator

by blantonator

Caad10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Planet X Team Aluminum Frame:

This frame was recommended to me as I had a complete group set waiting at home to build it up - I am in the middle of the build but things are looking pretty solid. A buddy was so impressed with the weight and build he actually offered to purchase it from me when finished.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

blantonator wrote:Caad10?

x 1million. my s-works sl3 was wrecked in a crash and i replaced it with a caad10. with the right components it feels very nice. if i were to have bought a caad10 before sl3 , i probably would have never bought the sl3.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Another option would be an Ebay carbon frame, Rival group (or maybe force), and a good set of wheels. I don't think you would be wanting for much with that.

Snicks

by Snicks

Everybody on this forum loves the CAAD10...
And for good reason!!!

aaric

by aaric

You could also grab an 2012 allez if you want the same geometry as the SL3 tarmac.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

An Allez E5 framset is a nice cheap option to build on. Otherwise CAAD10.

EDIT:Some pics from member Marcelflash

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+ CAAD10 3 Ultegra. Weight almost identical to the SuperSix 3 and about $1,000 less. Never ridden one, but I've seen it referred to as the "aluminum Evo".

timzcat

by timzcat

CAAD 10.
I recently built a 9 as a second bike and other then a slightly harsher ride is just like my Evo to ride.
I also have 700X23 on it and it would probably be better if I put 700X25 on it like the Evo.

Doolop

by Doolop

Now I know the CAAD10 is very popular online,

But have you guys actually spent time on the frame? This frame has very little vertical compliance.

You will be more satisfied with a carbon frame from a couple years ago. Even a supersix can be picked up now for a similar price to the CAAD10.

Test ride before you buy.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Doolop wrote:Now I know the CAAD10 is very popular online,

But have you guys actually spent time on the frame? This frame has very little vertical compliance.

You will be more satisfied with a carbon frame from a couple years ago. Even a supersix can be picked up now for a similar price to the CAAD10.

Test ride before you buy.

All I ride is a CAAD10. Fits like a glove and handles like it's on rails. I usually ride 40-50 miles and it's very smooth but doesn't feel flexy when sprinting. I do run tubeless and the roads are almost perfect here so that is a big factor. I am also 205-201lbs so I might not get rattled like some jockey guys half my weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com