Firecrest / Enve Smart chainstay clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

12x23

by 12x23

I'm thinking of Enve 6.7's or 404 Firecrest tubs and curious about chainstay clearance on my Caad9, Six/13's, and my Litespeed Siena. Any experience here with either or both of those wheelsets and these frames? Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Not to derail this thread, but I'm wondering the same for a 1990s GT Edge.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not heard a single clearance issue with either wheelset.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The rims don't stick out further than the typical allowance for tires that most frame makers have help for several years...

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

I've owned a set of enve 6.7 for six months and put over a thousand miles on them all race miles. I ride a hand built landshark frame. I didn't have the frame built to special specs for wheels....never even thought about it. I've never had a single clearance issue. These wheels cut wind better than anything on the market and i've owned them all. Of most importance is how well they hand in cross winds. I now race nothing but these wheels and even in crosswinds they feel like box rims....well worth the investment. One last comment. I hit a man hole cover while racing tour of dairyland. It was sticking at least 1 inch out of the street and solid metal. I was on a descending part of course and doing over 35mph. I hit it squarely and so hard I was certain it broke my front rim. I didn't flat and it was under 10to go so kept riding. After race i inspected wheel. No damage and perfectly true!!!!! These things are super strong. I"ve broken 3 sets of zipp and they wouldn't warranty any of them. Thankfully they were all team deals but still their quality is poor. Enve is best product on the market....period.

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

I know there are clearance issues with some Caad 10s and Spc. Tarmac SL4's (only with 303 firecrests) but I haven't heard anything about the models you mentioned. Best thing to do is probably find a pair at a shop or something and see if there are any issues..

ergott

by ergott

I can't use my Smart wheels with my Serotta Ottrott. They rub the chainstays as soon as I stand on the pedals. It's real tight.

Doesn't help you, but I just wanted to point out that not every frame out there has the clearance.

motorthings

by motorthings

303 fc clear just fine on my cdale evo

12x23

by 12x23

Ergott, maybe you posted this some time back? I was thinking I'd read of this problem with some of the newer wheels and older frames. I love my old Caad's / Six/13's, and my 2006 Siena, so I reckon I have to find a pair of each to physically check them in the frame.

Thanks all.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The fun part is that lots of folks equate this to "overly flexy wheels" and never consider clearance and or flexy chain and seat stays...

ergott

by ergott

CharlesM wrote: and never consider clearance and or flexy chain and seat stays...

Si. I'm pretty sure that the BB/Chainstays on the Ottrott are flexing and that's the cause. I stand on the pedals while coasting, lean the bike to one side and get the rim to hit the chainstay. If the wheel were flexing it would hit the brake pads first.

timzcat

by timzcat

To the OP, if one of your choices is the widest just find that wheel to check the clearance. You should not need to test each wheel.

compressorman

by compressorman

ghostrider1tm wrote:I've owned a set of enve 6.7...

tubs?

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

yep

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

CharlesM wrote:The fun part is that lots of folks equate this to "overly flexy wheels" and never consider clearance and or flexy chain and seat stays...

Or a loose QR